Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I had my Ridgeline's oil change at my local Honda house, days later I noticed fluid saturation on my garage floor. It looked like oil to me and the drips are near the passenger front tire where the filter is. I took it back to the Honda house and they said there are no leaks. They checked the filter, oil plug and couldn't find anything. After returning and letting it sit in my garage for 8 hours, it seems to still be leaking! What could it be and why? (Pictures attached)

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,198 Posts
When you typically change the oil filter (without using some sort of diverting device), a large amount of oil spills down and lands on the subframe below the oil filter. A thorough mechanic will wipe up the spilled oil that has pooled on top of the various parts but my guess is that your "Honda house" didn't bother to do that step, even after your brought it back to them with a complaint. . .
Most likely you don't have a leak but rather a sloppy, lazy "Honda house."
Could still be a leak at the oil filter (behind passenger front tire) but your servicer says no leak and oil drips complaints after an oil change are pretty common on this forum since sloppy workmanship seems to be par for the course these days.
Change your own oil next time?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you typically change the oil filter (without using some sort of diverting device), a large amount of oil spills down and lands on the subframe below the oil filter. A thorough mechanic will wipe up the spilled oil that has pooled on top of the various parts but my guess is that your "Honda house" didn't bother to do that step, even after your brought it back to them with a complaint. . .
Most likely you don't have a leak but rather a sloppy, lazy "Honda house."
Could still be a leak at the oil filter (behind passenger front tire) but your servicer says no leak and oil drips complaints after an oil change are pretty common on this forum since sloppy workmanship seems to be par for the course these days.
Change your own oil next time?
I figured that they were doing a half ass job. Thanks for the reply.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,415 Posts
I find a quart sized freezer ziplock bag does a pretty good job containing the oil when removing the oil filter. And a shop rag over the subframe area too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts