Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the threads on my 2007's oil pan are stripped. No leaks as of now, just seeping. After searching and talking with mechanics, and the guys at autozone, it seems like everyone agrees the best way to fix the pan is to replace it. Before I commit to buying a new pan I ask you guys, is it really necessary? Also, can I replace it myself without to much difficulty? And the final question, where's the best place to buy these things? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Welcome to the club...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Don't know why a heli-coil can't be installed or a larger plug, if indeed it is a stipped drain plug. THAT would be much cheaper than replacing the oil pan............................:act035:

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,340 Posts
I have a fumuto drain valve for my RL that for some reason will not fit. Something about my truck is special. Not enough clearance for it to tighten up or actually even get the threads started.

But that is old news, as I posted about that problem over a year ago.

I will sell it to anyone as soon as I find out whether or not it will fit my 2008 Honda Accord.

Thanks, Brad

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
Brad, do you also have the ADL106 adapter?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've put 200 to 300 thousand on several vehicles through all my years in sales. I have had several(I can think of 3) that had to have new drain plugs installed because the threads were stripped with so many oil changes. They just drilled the hole and re-threaded with a larger drain plug. No big deal!

Now I have to say they were all steel oil pans and ours are aluminum but I would think there is enough thick metal around the drain that it could be redrilled somewhat larger and use a larger drain plug.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Can you say (or more accurately, search the forum for) "Pela". Haven't taken out the drain plug since the first time I used it. The first time to convince myself that it worked I drained it using the Pela and then removed the plug. Got less than a teaspoon of oil out... Haven't removed the drain plug since!

Roak

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Aluminum pans are a pain in the butt if stripped because of the problem of re-threading aluminum. It is like welding aluminum - it can be done but you better know what you are doing. I can't offer a good suggestion other than replace the pan (yes, they are expensive) because the leak will only get worse over time.

This is one reason why I always push the Fumoto valve. In a thread speedlever started a week or so ago, I made tongue-in-cheek fun of his "applications" in oil changes (all in good spirit of course). I told him that since he always changes his own oil, it would be best to use a Fumoto so he does not strip the threads in the pan, no need for a torque wrench, no mess or spills, no crush washers, etc. He must have listened to me because I see speedy has mentioned this valve to you in this thread. I think I spent $30 or so back in 2005 and put it on my Ridgeline the very first time I changed oil. Makes taking periodic oil samples for analysis a breeze too.

There are a couple things to note. First, be certain you get the right model number for our truck. Any other model number won't fit. Also, be sure to get the one with the nipple (it costs a few dollars more) so you can attach a hose from the valve to the oil catch pan. For those who have difficulty getting the Fumoto to fit remember that the valve will work in any position, even upside down. It does not have to be right side up or to the side. However it fits snugly - without over tightening - is where it should be positioned. If you insist of having the valve in another, certain position (some off roaders might feel better about having the spring to the top), then get a couple various crush washers of different thicknesses from the hardware store (or try the one Honda sells) until the Fumoto is right where you want it. It should be a snap to install in most cases but even if it takes a little work to get it in the position you want it is worth it because once set it is there forever.

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
Indeed I did. I had forgotten about the Fumoto valve, but when you suggested I consider it, I also remembered a recent thread about the issue of Honda oil pan threads and instantly put the two together to make the FV a no brainer.

I ordered two.. one for each Honda we own. F106N valve and ADL-106 adapter. I received them both within a week of ordering. It will be a while before either vehicle is due an oil change.

Thanks for that tip. (sometimes I get you and sparkland mixed up!.. sorry)

·
Super Moderator
5,340 Posts
Honda oil pan info.

Possible solutions: see above, or
http://www.1800oilplug.com/

or, if you replace the pan, use a Fumoto oil drain valve.
F106N + ADL 106
These can be had on ebay with "free shipping" for $34 including the ADL 106 extension.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fumo...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Speedlever, I do have the extension. I am thinking of keeping both parts for my 2008 Accord, since the oil change on it is so messy. I do not know why the Fumoto valve will not fit on my truck, as I do have the proper fittings. One of those crazy things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts