Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I have a 2006 Ridgeline with 162K. I drive about 200 miles a day for work/commute. I change my oil and do all regular maintenance as you should. I was driving home 2 weeks ago up a steep grade, experienced a hard shift after struggling to change gears. VTM and vsa light flashed so I pulled over and turned it off. Restarted and went about my way with no issues. No lights came on after that including the CEL. 10 days later on the way home from work, I go to pass someone and truck dies after power loss. Tried to start it after I pulled off but wouldn't turn over it would just crank. So I scanned for codes and at this time I got P2646. So I switch out the oil pressure switch the next day, changed oil/filter. Cleaned screen in the assembly. Started right up! It did smoke white for about 15mins. So I drove it after it stopped and with in about 20 mins it was in Limp mode, would not go over about 3000 rpms with hard shifts. The further the truck was driven the less power and rougher it ran. So I waited for the CEL to come back on. When it did I got P0137.P0157 bank 1,2 sensor 2 low voltage. All connectors are clean and tight with no corrosion or open currents on 02. I was thinking it could be the Valve timing switch the sets under the Vtec oil pressure switch. I was told it wasn't so i haven't changed it just inspected it. Truck did a few weird things after restart. Temp gauge shot up to 3/4 the way then went right back down to normal. The engine also makes a very loud noise now from top end. Its a loud tick. My monitors on my scan tool all check out good. Now after taking battery leads off and letting them touch to draw any current out of system I'm getting no codes just limp mode.
Throttle position 31%
RPM 1955
MS 92 kpa
Ignition Timing 10.5 deg
Coolant temp 185F
Air intake temp 82f

I am stumped and do not wanna have to take it to the dealer. I also don't have much free time, not sure i wanna dump money into sensors that aren't needed. Any suggestions and experience are welcomed. This forum has helped me get to know my Ridgeline well. What's next?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
That's a lot of miles . . . do you think it's possible your oil pump just might be giving up??? I'm not familiar with that issue on this vehicle, or if that cause might match up with these symptoms, but others here might weigh in on that question. Weak/failing oil pump ; sensor senses low pressure ; voltage from switch reflects this ; performance & codes reflect that ? ? ? I don't really know, but something to consider maybe.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,362 Posts
kyridge06, sounds like you know your way around your truck from a mechanical perspective.

Have you checked your spark plugs? Radiator/tranny fittings? Is your coolant level ok and color good? How about the tranny fluid?

That loud tick makes me think you may have a cylinder 4 or 5 loose spark plug issue. Check them pronto. With the white smoke, I wonder if you might have a cracked head too.

Has the truck ever been in an accident or do you have any mods on it?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
After re-reading your symptoms . . . Speed might be on to something with the head gasket suspicion, as bad as that is to anticipate. White smoke, coolant temp spikes, top end noise, and intermittent power loss; all could be the result of a "tight/marginal" head gasket leak . . . the kind that still only blows out under heavy load (like climbing hills, passing). I've had these before & they are a bitch to diagnose in the early stages, especially if you don't have any noticible oil/coolant transfer/loss (just exhaust blowing into those fluids or brief shots of coolant into exhaust). Typically you'd also eventually lose come coolant if that were the case. And to tell you the truth, I don't really remember suffering any serious "limp mode" with those marginal HG failures. Anyway, hope it's not..... I'm sure you'll let us know what you eventually discover.
I still wonder about low oil pressure causing signal folly, with resulting engine controller issues. That would cause the tick, but not the white smoke, so probably not. The smoke's coming out the tailpipe, right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am going to do a compression test tomorrow and will check the coil packs then. My scan tool says there isn't a misfire of any sort so not sure about that. Coolant level is good, same with color. The vtm fluid was changed along with the tranny fluid about 20k ago. No mods. The limp mode issues and how it engages doesn't seem like a head gasket problem although I'm not ruling anything out until i have checked it off. The engine tick only starts after the truck has warmed up. Once it warms up it goes into sever limp mode where its not drivable. The oil pump seems to operate fine and does have enough current to operate correctly. I am going to tear down the firewall and check all my wiring leading from vtec assembly to my ecu. Hopefully its simple and not a head gasket or major issue. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I checked all the other issues that it could have been but with no luck. So I dropped it off at the stealer oops I mean dealer. They come back with saying I need a new timing belt,water pump and the whole nine yards that comes with that service. $1,400. My question is how and why did that happen with no previous issues? Another thing is they are diagnosing this solely on the timing being off. Adviser says I'm 90% sure this is the problem. I'm not liking where this is going so far... Guess i will just have to wait and see what they find during this service. I've got my fingers crossed!

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
What were the results of your compression test?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Certainly a normal reading.

Interested to see if the stealership was right.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well I checked all the other issues that it could have been but with no luck. So I dropped it off at the stealer oops I mean dealer. They come back with saying I need a new timing belt,water pump and the whole nine yards that comes with that service. $1,400. My question is how and why did that happen with no previous issues? Another thing is they are diagnosing this solely on the timing being off. Adviser says I'm 90% sure this is the problem. I'm not liking where this is going so far... Guess i will just have to wait and see what they find during this service. I've got my fingers crossed!
At what mileage was the previous TB changed out? Was a new water pump installed then?? Belt tensioner, etc??

If you have a damaged (e.g. missing a tooth for instance) TB, or if it's so loose it's slipping, I could maybe understand SOME of your symptoms. But, I'm not getting how this would cause the 15 minutes of white smoke. Unless of course your timing slipped so bad that you banged some valves (would explain loud noise) and did some real damage. . . . sure hope that's not the case for your sake; especially if the dealer will be doing the repairs. Ka-ching!
'Really hard to sort out some of these kinds of problems based on symptoms alone, isn't it. :(

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Pull a quick oil sample. Make sure it includes a glycol test, and sodium and potassium levels. Those can help us/you verify whether the white smoke was coolant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the dealer called today with odd news while making a ass hat out of there self again. The first day it was in there they called and said valves needed adjusted cause it was running lean which caused the limp mode.. So I gave the OK to perform that based there diagnoses since he said he was 90% sure that was the issue. Then calls back to tell me he had me confused with another customer and went on to say I needed the timing belt service. So I gave it the green light. Today he calls to say they didn't do the timing belt service because it was all good with no damage to anything including the engine. Good yes but not really... says all catalytic converters need replaced with sensors, they need to drill manifold. $4500 for this. parts are like 600 for everything. I'm not happy with this Honda dealership, feel that I have more capabilities in my penis then any of these techs or advisers have. Do these symptoms and issues I have had makes sense for this to be my issues? I know my rear one is bad but not sure of other conditions of related parts. How long is normal repair for this job diy? Lift necessary?

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
Good grief. This sounds like a major run around to me. I would not have any confidence in this shop.

Do you have any other shop options?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well the dealer called today with odd news while making a ass hat out of there self again. The first day it was in there they called and said valves needed adjusted cause it was running lean which caused the limp mode.. So I gave the OK to perform that based there diagnoses since he said he was 90% sure that was the issue. Then calls back to tell me he had me confused with another customer and went on to say I needed the timing belt service. So I gave it the green light. Today he calls to say they didn't do the timing belt service because it was all good with no damage to anything including the engine. Good yes but not really... says all catalytic converters need replaced with sensors, they need to drill manifold. $4500 for this. parts are like 600 for everything. I'm not happy with this Honda dealership, feel that I have more capabilities in my penis then any of these techs or advisers have. Do these symptoms and issues I have had makes sense for this to be my issues? I know my rear one is bad but not sure of other conditions of related parts. How long is normal repair for this job diy? Lift necessary?
When i read dealer's initial finding about timing belt, it didn't make any sense. But catalytic converter is making more sense. catalytic converter should be under warranty. Ask them to verify that before performing anything. catalytic converter shouldn't be failing at this age of the vehicle, when it fails it is usually something else caused it to fail. Unburned fuel in the exhaust, oil in the exhaust, coolant in the exhaust etc. What honda can come and claim is that you did not address those issues before that's why catalytic converter failed.

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
Unfortunately, the OP is out of emissions warranty. That is an 8/80 warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yeah I defiantly have no confidence in this Honda stealership. I will be picking it up tomorrow and taking it for a second opinion. Man at this point I should have just kept truck and diagnosed it myself since they are just guessing. Hopefully then I will learn the real cause of my issues or why 2 out of 3 CC have came apart, melted. It still only has about 50% power now. Timing belt service was done at 85k was bought at 90k.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
When i read dealer's initial finding about timing belt, it didn't make any sense. But catalytic converter is making more sense. catalytic converter should be under warranty. Ask them to verify that before performing anything. catalytic converter shouldn't be failing at this age of the vehicle, when it fails it is usually something else caused it to fail. Unburned fuel in the exhaust, oil in the exhaust, coolant in the exhaust etc. What honda can come and claim is that you did not address those issues before that's why catalytic converter failed.
You know you might just have a bad combination of things happening. If you are getting bad stuff into your Cats via blown head gasket for instance?? Sometimes these things can cascade into a combo event that is much worse than the original initiating problem. I think you said you "know your rear one is bad"?? How is it you know this, and how long have you known it?? You could conceivably get back-pressure issues if you get exhaust components collapsing back there. 'Doubt it's real likely, but you ought to just start picking off the "known" issues & move on from there.
Anytime you have multiple variables in a problem it makes troubleshooting a real bitch . . . ESPECIALLY if you're trying to use automated diagnosis methods (e.g. machines, computers).
You might get lucky if your second opinion is a real sage mechanic that can intuit his way to your problem(s) and get you squared away. I do suspect you have more than one issue, given your testimony here.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So Kyridge06, what ever happened?? Lot's of great input from the members here to help you out. Would be nice to find out what the problems were if you ever solved them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts