Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,790 Posts
Let us not be overly pedantic. The switches sense pressure, and open or close accordingly.
I don't believe using the manufacturer's terminology to describe a component is being "overly pedantic" - I believe it's simply being accurate.

There are oil pressure switches and there are oil pressure sensors. Oil pressure switches are binary devices that complete a circuit above a specific pressure and open the circuit below a specific pressure. Oil pressure sensors are analog devices that vary their resistance infinitely based on pressure. Oil pressure switches and sensors are not interchangeable.

At my day job, our products use air pressure switches as safety interlocks to monitor blowers. I cringe when I hear others refer to them as "air flow switches" (they respond to pressure, not flow) or "air cells" (that wildly incorrect description descends from the use of "sail switches" that respond to flow, not pressure).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
that's what I found in my manual, but they charged me for an oil pressure switch and less than an hour's labor and the problem has cleared up. I'm very happy! the work order read that the owner had replaced the wrong switch which was the one in the diagram.

·
Registered
828 Posts
There are oil pressure switches and there are oil pressure sensors. Oil pressure switches are binary...
Well, since you want to be accurate

Oil pressure switches are a type of oil pressure sensor. All pressure switches are pressure sensors, but not all pressure sensors are pressure switches.

·
Super Moderator
12,790 Posts
Well, since you want to be accurate

Oil pressure switches are a type of oil pressure sensor. All pressure switches are pressure sensors, but not all pressure sensors are pressure switches.
Yes, but the industry uses the terms switch and sensor to describe devices that are either on or off or output an analog value, respectively. Clearly, there is enough confusion between an oil pressure switch and an oil pressure sensor without replacing the former term with binary oil pressure sensor. :)

·
Registered
828 Posts
There's just neither accuracy nor utility gained in this discussion by attempting to 'correct' OP on his completely proper and accurate use of the term "sensor." Whether the sensor is binary or not is irrelevant to his issue and the discussion.
(-:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes, but the industry uses the terms switch and sensor to describe devices that are either on or off or output an analog value, respectively. Clearly, there is enough confusion between an oil pressure switch and an oil pressure sensor without replacing the former term with binary oil pressure sensor. :)
There's just neither accuracy nor utility gained in this discussion by attempting to 'correct' OP on his completely proper and accurate use of the term "sensor." Whether the sensor is binary or not is irrelevant to his issue and the discussion.
(-:
thanks to all for the input, truck is fine, just got back an oil analysis which reports all readings are within normal range.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad to hear it. If, God forbid, you get an oil pressure light in the future, inspect your control wiring. Different brand but we went to techline after a 3rd oil pressure switch failed in the same vehicle in a 60 day period. Didn't believe it but inspection revealed the first internal failure of one actually forced oil through the wiring itself all the way to the main connector causing intermittent shorts.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts