Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ridgeline owners manual says that oil changes require 5.4 liters of 0W~20.
That amounts to a full jug 5L container of oil plus 400ml more.
I generally re~use the same container to collect the used oil for recycling. This time I had the 5L jug & a 1L single ready, knowing that the 5L jug couldn’t hold all the oil I collected in the pan.
Much to my surprise, when I transferred the used oil into the 5L jug, it got completely filled up. The extra 400ml was MIA. Almost a half litre was unaccounted for.
Supposed to be 5.4L not 5.0. The oil change was by the dealer. I don’t think my 2020 Ridgeline with 9338 miles burns oil, and some of the comments in this forum suggests that some dealers might not use a new oil filter each time. Yikes!
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
First curious thought is what did the dipstick read before the oil change? If this were me I would not be overly concerned about less than a half a quart "missing" at this time, this will cause no harm to the engine, however, I may monitor the oil level a little more closely for a while. As far as changing the filter, I believe Honda recommends doing so every other oil change, though our dealer apparently does change the filter every change.

IMO, this is nothing to panic about enough to try to place blame on anything/anybody at this time.

Bill

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Interesting. My 2017 and 2019 Ridgelines required 5.5 quarts to reach the upper mark on the dipstick. The specified 5.7 quarts would have resulted in an overfill.

When I changed the oil in my 2021 Ridgeline a few months ago, 5.0 quarts filled it to the upper mark.

The only variable was the Ridgeline - the oil has been changed in the same location using the same method with the same filter each time.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
For what it's worth.... I've changed my oil and filter on my 17 about a dozen times in the last five years. I've always "drained about 5 quarts" on my vacuum sucker pump thing (oil extractor) or through the drain bolt on the bottom... and only put in a single 5 quart jug each time. The dipstick has always read in the top quarter of the hashed portion of the dipstick... before and after the change. Well, on the first oil change, it dropped a diamond or two of hashed marks from when it rolled off the lot to the first oil change, but after that break in, it seems pretty consistent and not oil burn-y. I figure as long as it's on the dipstick between the middle and upper mark, I'm happy. I probably should check the level more than every 4-5k miles (so far has always been fine).... so if you suspect something amiss, I'm with @wjfyfe, might be worth checking on a regular basis for a while, to see if the level is changing between the OCI's.

Oh, and the MM does say to change the filter every other oil change, but I personally change every oil change. My OCI's are near 10k miles as is, and I want to say the Purolator filters say something like 10k miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Ridgeline owners manual says that oil changes require 5.4 liters of 0W~20.
That amounts to a full jug 5L container of oil plus 400ml more.
I generally re~use the same container to collect the used oil for recycling. This time I had the 5L jug & a 1L single ready, knowing that the 5L jug couldn’t hold all the oil I collected in the pan.
Much to my surprise, when I transferred the used oil into the 5L jug, it got completely filled up. The extra 400ml was MIA. Almost a half litre was unaccounted for.
Supposed to be 5.4L not 5.0. The oil change was by the dealer. I don’t think my 2020 Ridgeline with 9338 miles burns oil, and some of the comments in this forum suggests that some dealers might not use a new oil filter each time. Yikes!
Thoughts?
My new 2020 came with only 5L of oil. It was barely touching the dipstick. Hashmarks still showing no oil. The "Advisor" said "oh no our techs never make mistakes." They shorted me from the FACTORY. The Advisor even said DON'T add any more oil you'll overfill it. I added the proper amount and changed my own oil since. Go by what shows on the dipstick. That's the correct way. Try using Mobil One 0W-20 and Mobile One filter. You'll feel and hear a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts