Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's pretty lame...I bought my truck because it had 255hp! What do you think Honda is going to say about this?? Should we start pissing and moaning? In reality, it does bring the value of your truck down-the manufactures reall play up the hp factor when advertising.

·
Registered
311 Posts
maybearidge said:
That's pretty lame...I bought my truck because it had 255hp! What do you think Honda is going to say about this?? Should we start pissing and moaning? In reality, it does bring the value of your truck down-the manufactures reall play up the hp factor when advertising.
Does this really matter? It's not like your engine got any weaker overnight. It's just that the measurement standards have changed, which caused a change in the number figure. Our trucks can still tow the same amount, the acceleration is still the same, mileage still the same. It's just a numeric difference, that's all. Now, if next year, they release a 255-hp engine based on the new measurement standards, well, that *may* be a cause to trade up for some.

·
Registered
130 Posts
All of the manufacturers will be adjusting their HP based on these new guidelines.

Revised Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1349 (Rev 8/04) net calculations that went into affect in January of 2005. These new calculations reflect a number of significant changes in the way horsepower and torque are measured and may cause SAE net horsepower and torque totals published in 2006 media materials to differ from the figures published in previous years.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does not matter, but you were sold a vehicle that was advertised at 255 hp and now it's 247hp. Is Honda they only truck that downgraded it's hp rating after they released it?

HP was not the reason I bought it, but it sure is a big selling point for the manufacturer....they use it against each other all of the time. I'm sure some of the price is based on this. Ya Know "the most hp in it's class" etc.

Our 2006 came out in 2005 with the wrong numbers. The other will be published with the new numbers with the correct year.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You engine will still dyno the same. It makes the same amount of power it did when you bought it as it does today. This is not a matter of it "did not meet expectation". This is a matter of a changing in standard. Nothing misleading occured here.

Realize that the new standard is actually optional. Honda could have kept going on advertising it as 255hp.

·
Registered
311 Posts
shingles said:
You engine will still dyno the same. It makes the same amount of power it did when you bought it as it does today. This is not a matter of it "did not meet expectation". This is a matter of a changing in standard. Nothing misleading occured here.

Realize that the new standard is actually optional. Honda could have kept going on advertising it as 255hp.
Good point shingles. The way I look at it, it's another example of Honda taking the high road with the marketing of their vehicles. It'll be interesting to see if the other manufacturers will follow suit or stay with the old standard (and thereby inflating their own numbers).

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
It's interesting that both Honda and Toyota are recertifying all their engines for 2006, but the domestic manufacturers are not recertifying unless there's a powertrain change or it's a high performance vehicle.

The most notable point is that nearly every Honda and Toyota recert has resulted in lower horsepower, but nearly every domestic recert has resulted in increased horsepower.

It seems pretty obvious that both Honda and Toyota have overstated horsepower ratings for many years. In this case the domestic manufacturers have been much more honest than Honda or Toyota.

·
Registered
311 Posts
csimo said:
It's interesting that both Honda and Toyota are recertifying all their engines for 2006, but the domestic manufacturers are not recertifying unless there's a powertrain change or it's a high performance vehicle.

The most notable point is that nearly every Honda and Toyota recert has resulted in lower horsepower, but nearly every domestic recert has resulted in increased horsepower.

It seems pretty obvious that both Honda and Toyota have overstated horsepower ratings for many years. In this case the domestic manufacturers have been much more honest than Honda or Toyota.
I can't say that I'm the least bit surprised about Toyota and Honda overstating their horsepower ratings. This just reinforces my mentality that horsepower is just another number and is used primarily as a media bite marketing tool. What's much more important to me is dependability, quality, and overall feel of the car. I have to admit that you will NEVER find me timing 0-60 with a stopwatch, or heaving my car on a dyno to measure "hp at the wheel," so maybe I'm in minority with regards to my feelings about horsepower.

·
Registered
121 Posts
No, you're all wrong! Your vehicle really did lose 3% of its horsepower last night. Bummer. :eek:

Hey, I thought you guys were just joking. I didn't even bother to learn the HP before buying mine. I mean, who cares? A tank has more HP but it doesn't drive as well. All you have to do is drive the Ridgeline to know what it'll do. If it makes that much difference to you what people think about the HP, just lie. It seems to have worked for Honda. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
csimo said:
Do you think that Honda might round up due to the same habit in the motorcycle business? Of course 247 would normally round to 250 but maybe the marketing machine pressured them for an extra 5 hp. :p

·
Registered
578 Posts
csimo said:

On the other hand, if you check the dyno's done by TOV for the late model Hondas, they've felt that Honda has under rated the power. Truthfully, I don't know the exact change that's occured, but it is interesting.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My whole point of this thread was not if it is enough hp, but the fact that they sold it advertising, and probably pricing, the vehicle at 255hp. They use hp as a marketing tool and then changed it after you bought it. I could see if in 2007 the restated it using the new calculations, not in the middle of the model year.

Not a big deal-it's still a great truck!!

:)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Suppose the standard changed and they decided report the engine as 3,500,000 FP (fish power instead of horse power). Would the bigger number make you feel better? ;) It's a case of "apples and oranges".

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey, my Ridgeline can do 184,187.9 Watts!!!!! :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
maybearidge said:
It does not matter, but you were sold a vehicle that was advertised at 255 hp and now it's 247hp. Is Honda they only truck that downgraded it's hp rating after they released it?

Our 2006 came out in 2005 with the wrong numbers. The other will be published with the new numbers with the correct year.

You know, I would have to agree. Let me thow another one at you. How aboutthe published and advertised figures on MPG? There is no way in hell anyone is getting 21mpg.

·
Registered
578 Posts
DWdrums said:
You know, I would have to agree. Let me thow another one at you. How aboutthe published and advertised figures on MPG? There is no way in hell anyone is getting 21mpg.
Actually, a lot of people apparantly are.
I've been averaging 19.5mpg in my communte to work. 20 miles each way, average speed on the highway is about 30-35mph. If I can manage to bring up the average speed, I know I will be in the 20-21mpg range.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pick the number/units you prefer:

247 horsepower [hp] =[font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot] 184,335.336 air watts[/font]

[font=&quot] 18.776 boiler horsepower[/font]

[font=&quot] 247.000 British horsepower [Bhp][/font]

[font=&quot] 628,475.093 Btu per hour [Btu/h][/font]

[font=&quot] 10,474.585 Btu per minute [Btu/min][/font]

[font=&quot] 174.576 Btu per second [Btu/s][/font]

[font=&quot] 250.426 caballo de vapor [cv][/font]

[font=&quot] 250.426 cheval vapeur [cv][/font]

[font=&quot] 138,152,260,487.118 clusecs[/font]

[font=&quot] 52.653 dB-watts [dBW][/font]

[font=&quot] 82.653 dB-milliwatts [dBm][/font]

[font=&quot] 112.653 dB-microwatts [dBµW][/font]

[font=&quot] 22.653 dB-kilowatts [dBkW][/font]

[font=&quot] 736.751 donkey power[/font]

[font=&quot] 246.901 electric horsepower[/font]

[font=&quot] 489,060,016.396 foot pound-force/hour [ft.lbf/h][/font]

[font=&quot] 8,151,000.273 foot pound-force/minute [ft.lbf/min][/font]

[font=&quot] 135,850.005 foot pound-force/second [ft.lbf/s][/font]

[font=&quot] 15,735,040,188.647 foot poundal/hour [ft.pdl/h][/font]

[font=&quot] 262,250,669.811 foot poundal/minute [ft.pdl/min][/font]

[font=&quot] 0.0001840 gigawatts [GW][/font]

[font=&quot] 112,691,613,072.761 gram-force centimeter/minute [gf.cm/min][/font]

[font=&quot] 1,878,193,551.213 gram-force centimeter/second [gf.cm/s][/font]

[font=&quot] 246.901 electric horsepower[/font]

[font=&quot] 250.426 metric horsepower[/font]

[font=&quot] 246.886 water horsepower[/font]

[font=&quot] 249,076,211.076 inch ounce-force revolution/minute[/font]

[font=&quot] 67,614,967.844 kilogram-force meter/hour [kgf.m/h][/font]

[font=&quot] 1,126,916.131 kilogram-force meter/minute [kgf.m/min][/font]

[font=&quot] 18,781.936 kilogram-force meter/second [kgf.m/s][/font]

[font=&quot] 184.188 kilovolt ampere [kVA][/font]

[font=&quot] 184.188 kilowatts [kW][/font]

[font=&quot] 1,381,522,604.871 lusecs[/font]

[font=&quot] 0.184 megawatts [MW][/font]

[font=&quot] 250.426 metric horsepower[/font]

[font=&quot] 184,187,867,890.000 microwatts [µW][/font]

[font=&quot] 247,000.000 millihorsepower [mhp][/font]

[font=&quot] 184,187,867.890 milliwatts [mW][/font]

[font=&quot] 247.000 mechanical horsepower [hp][/font]

[font=&quot] 250.426 pferdestärke [ps][/font]

[font=&quot] 187.819 poncelet [p][/font]

[font=&quot] 1,841,878,678,900.000 statwatts [statW][/font]

[font=&quot] 0.00000018419 terawatts [TW][/font]

[font=&quot] 52.373 tons [RT][/font]

[font=&quot] 246.886 water horsepower [whp][/font]

[font=&quot] 184,187.868 watts [W][/font]

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
DWdrums said:
I kinda agree with you. With 4900 miles, I have never seen anything over 17 mpg. I even took the OEM tonneau cover off to lessen the weight, to no avail. I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with the engine, although it runs great! Someone is going to say it is because I have a lead foot, that is not so. For a thousand miles, I made a lot of effort to drive it with like I had an egg between my feet and the pedal. I gassed up at different stations, and I gas up the same way everytime; when the pump shuts off, I let the tank settle for a count of five, and top it off once only. I take the miles driven and divide by the amount of gas pumped. I aired my tires to 40 psi' nothing! I checked my odometer by driving the same distance to a destination that I already knew how many miles it was. :( However, I do love this truck to death, and I have learned to live with this. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts