Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After thinking about it for a few weeks I finally made the decision yesterday to do as much of the service as I could myself and went out and bought a 263 piece tool set and a lower rolling tool box to go with the top small box I had. I also spent 2 hours gathering my old tools and cleaning out the garage. I was surprised that I found almost all my sockets ratchets and wrenches. I was missing some individual things but with the new set I'm more than covered. I just need a set of ramps and some jack stands. Also I'm looking at impact wrenches. I'm not as strong as I used to be - especially in my hands (dang arthritis) and I'm sure that would be a big help.

My son has a 2004 Pilot and a friend of his is a Honda mechanic. He gave him a small floor jack and a set of ramps. He tried to use the ramps Thursday to change his oil and his Pilot crushed them. (they were plastic - I thought that would happen, lol)

I really appreciate all the knowledge shared here. If it wasn't available there is no way I'd have gotten back in to DYI mechanic work.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
The heaviest thing I've encountered in doing routine services on our vehicles is lifting up the wheels to put back on the vehicle after rotating the tires/doing brake work, etc. I'll typically feel it in my back for a day or two afterwards.

As I get older, it's getting harder to get motivated to do the work! Then I think what it would cost to have it done at the shop... and my OCD would not be satisfied either. So I get my butt out to the garage... eventually. ;)

Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of using ramps. I have some metal ones and will use them on the Civic, but only because I haven't yet found a way to use front/rear central jack points to lift it up where I can slide my jackstands underneath and get all 4 wheels off the ground.

My suggestion on the jackstands is to find some that will keep the wheels off the ground at no more than half extension. I have a collection of jackstands I've bought over the years until I finally found a comfort zone there. I am not a fan of using jackstands at their top extension. But maybe that's just me.

· Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not a fan of using jackstands at their top extension. But maybe that's just me.
Totally agree with that/ I was just thinking about that last night. Maybe It's my faulty memory but it seems to me that jack stands I used years ago had wider bases. The ones I've looked at seemed narrow and I'd be nervous about raising them beyond half height as well.

The only thing I'd use the ramps for is oil/fluid changes as it's quicker/easier if that's all I'm doing.

· Super Moderator
24,636 Posts
I find that my typical OCIs tend to be time for tire rotations (~6500-7000 miles). So I just bite the bullet and put it up on jackstands nearly every time. So yeah, my typical oil change takes longer than a simple oil change. And I get to check my slider pins and brake pads at the same time. Plus I do a D&F of the tranny fluid every other OCI too. So it's just all part of the process for me.

I'm thankful to have a garage to work in for all the piddling I do in the maintenance process. OTOH, if I'd ever clean out the garage, it wouldn't take me so long to set up and put away after a maintenance session. :rolleyes:

Here's my progression of jackstands, left to right. I have 4 of the ones on the right (Torin, 6t, double locking).

· Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I almost bought some of the Torrins the other day but I think it was a smaller model. I'll put those on my list. I have a 2 car garage to work in that's had 14 years of junk accumulation. I've made 2 pickup runs to the dump/recycling center (where did we get all that paint?) and 2 runs to good will.

Now if some one will just take all the paintball gear off my hands....

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,891 Posts
Now if some one will just take all the paintball gear off my hands....
Sounds like something for the trading post, I got rid of my PB gear years ago...

· Registered
156 Posts
Great job! A person can never have too many tools.

These guys are right on about the stands and such. For the impacts, I recommend the cordless 1/2" ryobi one lithium series, as well as the 3/8" drive version. I use air tools usually, but those two are indispensable, and cheap compared to other bigger names. I've got nerve damage in one hand, and they help with that as well.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Flyboy

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Congrats fast driver dude.

I'm in the same vessel as you and speed... but being stubborn, cranky and jaded about the quality of work performed by others who might not love their work as much as you love your ride helps kick the $h!t out of the convenient excuse of being too old to do this stuff anymore.

By cracky! Have fun bonding with your RL.

· Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 4 cars in my driveway. My '06 Ridge, my sons '04 pilot, wifes '08 CRV and my daughters '05 Ford 500.

The Pilot has 200k on it and he has owned it since October. I'm looking into what attention it needs but it runs like a sewing machine right now.

So doing regular maintenance alone the tools will be paid for pretty quickly. And I'll get my butt of the couch and not watch TV so much.

The other day I went by Harbor Freight to check on some ramps they had. I saw This tool chest. When I got home I told the wife about it and she said "You should buy one"

Gotta love that woman...

· Super Moderator
24,636 Posts
Other than the transfer assembly on the 2004 Pilot (lubed by tranny fluid, I believe), your maintenance procedures, fluids and filters on the RL and the Pilot should be the same (oil and filter, VTM-4 fluid, etc.). They use different engine and cabin air filters though. In 2006, the Pilot separated the transfer assembly from the tranny and it uses hypoid gear oil just like the RL.

Remember to keep some dedicated tools for VTM-4 fluid (tubing and hand pump, etc.). VTM-4 fluid does not like to be contaminated.

Reactions: Flyboy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.