Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to change the stock rims. I want to make them black and have a few designs that I came up with. Can you guys let me know what you think would look good on my 2007 RTL billet silver metallic ridgeline? That would be a great for your ideas. I plan to use plasti dip to give the old rims a new look.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I went through the the same process you're going through now and this is what I decided on. I plastidipped them yesterday. They came out great.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went through the the same process you're going through now and this is what I decided on. I plastidipped them yesterday. They came out great.
Your have some sweet rims. I think I am going for the top right design with the little bit of silver. I am going to do it this weekend.:act024:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Your have some sweet rims. I think I am going for the top right design with the little bit of silver. I am going to do it this weekend.:act024:
Thanks. And good choice. Someone on this site did his wheels like your
top right sketch. I can't, for the life of me, remember which thread/forum its it but there's a pic of it on here somewhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's mine. Really happy with them

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
They look great! I saw a video on that type of rim for two tone plastidipping. Cant wait till the weekend to get started on my rims.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. And good choice. Someone on this site did his wheels like your
top right sketch. I can't, for the life of me, remember which thread/forum its it but there's a pic of it on here somewhere.
When you did your rims, did you take the rims off the truck or did you leave them on? If you left them on, how did you keep the lug nuts the chrome?
:act024:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Just did them Sunday. I took the wheels off because I wanted to do the inside too. I took the center caps out before spraying. Here's a nice tip: Electrical tape works far better than masking tape for doing your lines. It's far more flexible, especially when the rims and the tape are warm (it was close to 90 degrees the day I sprayed them. And also, I used masking tape for the first wheel and I noticed that the Plasti Dip stuck to it more when I was trying to take it back off. For some reason the electrical tape came off much cleaner.

Here's another tip: DON'T wait too long between coats if you're taping the wheels. If it starts to dry it'll peel right back off with the tape. I put the first coat on, waited about 5 minutes, put the 2nd coat on, waited about 2 minutes and then put the last coat on. As soon as the last coat was on I started pulling the tape. You have to do all of the coats relatively quickly if you're taping the rims.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just did them Sunday. I took the wheels off because I wanted to do the inside too. I took the center caps out before spraying. Here's a nice tip: Electrical tape works far better than masking tape for doing your lines. It's far more flexible, especially when the rims and the tape are warm (it was close to 90 degrees the day I sprayed them. And also, I used masking tape for the first wheel and I noticed that the Plasti Dip stuck to it more when I was trying to take it back off. For some reason the electrical tape came off much cleaner.

Here's another tip: DON'T wait too long between coats if you're taping the wheels. If it starts to dry it'll peel right back off with the tape. I put the first coat on, waited about 5 minutes, put the 2nd coat on, waited about 2 minutes and then put the last coat on. As soon as the last coat was on I started pulling the tape. You have to do all of the coats relatively quickly if you're taping the rims.
Thanks for the tips. I will make sure to put them to use this weekend when I do my rims. I just got the cans of plasti dip so cant wait to get it started.:act024:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I will make sure to put them to use this weekend when I do my rims. I just got the cans of plasti dip so cant wait to get it started.:act024:
Any time. I used two and a half cans total and I put 3 coats on each wheel. Good luck and have fun! Be sure to post pics when you're done!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any time. I used two and a half cans total and I put 3 coats on each wheel. Good luck and have fun! Be sure to post pics when you're done!
How long do you let the plasti dip dry after you peel the tape up? And do you have anymore tips?;act028:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
How long do you let the plasti dip dry after you peel the tape up? And do you have anymore tips?;act028:
I put all three coats on in probably less than 10 minutes total. As soon as the last coat was down I started pulling the tape. By the time I got to the last spoke or two the plasti dip was already starting to adhere to the tape (but not bad).

You don't want to put it on so fast that it runs (I didn't have any runs) but you definitely don't want to wait too long between coats either. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Those might be the nicest looking modified oems I've ever seen. Are they painted?
Glass bead Sandblasted, 2 coats of black paint, machined and 2 coats for clearcoat. The guy charged me $100 per rim cash. It was done at a professional wheel refinnishing shop.

I simply copied the 2012 Ridgeline Sport Rims. I also got the 2012 Sport Grill ordered and Smoke led tail lights from ebay coming.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
The wheels on post #15 look totally different, like if it was a different brand. They did a good job.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The wheels on post #15 look totally different, like if it was a different brand. They did a good job.
They're simply an exact copy of the 2012 Ridgeline Sport wheels. I agree and am extremly satisfied with the work. I was looking at the Sport models on the dealer lot, can't tell them appart. In fact, it even looks like I have a better clearcoat on mine than the new stock ones on the lot. Stock ones appear to have a thin flimzy single clearcoat layer.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Here's what I did to my 2009 RTL wheels.
:act035::act035::act035::act035::act035:

those turned out AWESOME!!! I just might copy :act030:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts