Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
What is the overall thoughts on the old vs new body style of the Ridgeline. I bought my 2009 Ridgeline brand new because it looked different. I love it & will keep it until it drops. 128,000 miles now, running strong & looking good 馃檹. I don鈥檛 like the new style & would really have to think about buying the new style, it looks like everybody else鈥檚 body design. What鈥檚 the 3rd generation going to look like? Thoughts??

Registered
I was not a fan of the G1 but I still bought it immediately when it came out, function over form. Great vehicle, best road trip or highway cruiser I had ever owned up until that point.

I like the G2 much more all the way around including the looks. I like the looks. It looks exactly like what it is and isn't trying to be something it is not.

Registered
I like the new design. While the sloped bed walls give a unique perspective/distinction on the older models, the new straight walls offer more advantages.

Administrator
I like the appearance, comfort, ride, quietness, features, safety, performance, handling, and efficiency of the 2G.

I like the reliability of the 1G.

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
In the Honda family, there is nothing like the G1. The physical dimensions and styling is very unique and I like the aesthetics. Same sentiments go for the interior. Nothing looks like it and I like the way it looks, especially when it is tastefully modified.

G2, from the front, is a Pilot. From a design perspective, I have always found the proportions to be front half heavy. I have wanted to like the look of it, but couldn't bring myself. The interior aesthetics are to be desired for.

Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
I'm with Trackrider54 and smufguy. I have never been much of a fan of Honda's design language and the Gen1 was a little off-putting to me as I was cross-shopping it with a Chevy Avalanche and Ford Sport Trac back in 2008. What ended up selling me was the "function over form," just like Trackride54. After 12 years, it has really grown on me and I plan on keeping it until it dies or I need something with more towing abilities.

Honda's design language for its current generation Pilot, Passport, and Ridgeline is not attractive to me, too soft or week looking vs the chiseled workhorses of the other mid-size trucks. The Gen2's interior gives me the same impression. However, the Gen2's bed and uni-body frame design I like. But as zroger73 put it, the reliability issues of the Gen2 really puts the final "nail in the coffin" for me on the new Ridgeline.

When it is time for me to get a new truck, I will be looking elsewhere, unless Honda's design language changes in the right direction and function over form is emphasized.

Registered
The 2nd Gen RL might be every bit as capable as the Gen 1, but it doesn't look like it - at least to me. IMO Honda went too far toward sedan styling. Light grey seats in a utility vehicle (some trim lines)? Ergonomic knobs and buttons in Gen 1 replaced with smaller buttons and lever switches. I prefer the open floor area between the front seats that has been replaced by a console with a large storage area. Some prefer the storage area, but some also complain it is large enough to lose things in. I also prefer the inch-or-two larger rear cabin - some of my electronic work gear fits perfectly in the Gen 1.

Higher trim lines of the Gen 2 offer limited wattage ac in the bed - a strong point. But the bed depth toward the cab is a strong point of the Gen 1 for me. Others disagree. I wish the Gen 2 had a bit deeper bed walls.

Attached is a picture of me hauling the first of two pallets of insulation. I know the ones in the cab would not fit in a Gen 2 because they had to be squeezed into my Gen 1. Also, the higher bed walls gave me confidence tooling down the interstate. Imagine the depth of the Gen 1 at the back of the bed running all the way toward the cab. The Gen 2 would definitely need multiple trips...

The pendulum for Gen 2 swung more toward comfort. I hope a next Gen RL features more function over comfort. They could bring back the Gen 1 interior with upgraded tech and I would be totally happy.

Attachments

Premium Member
But the bed depth toward the cab is a strong point of the Gen 1 for me. Others disagree. I wish the Gen 2 had a bit deeper bed walls.
There is a way to have both.

Suppose Honda decided to put the D-pillar back into the G3 Ridgeline... by that, I mean slanted bars or tubes going from the back top of the cab and sloping down to the "shorty" D-pillars on either side of the tailgate.

This would give the truck a "baja rollbars" appearance that would toughen up the exterior looks, while still maintaining the standard three-box look of the G2 bed panels.

More importantly, the D-Pillar extension would greatly strengthen the unibody frame of the truck (which was the purpose of the G1 sail panels). Honda could use this to either increase tow rating, or lighten the current superstructure between the bed and cab.

Moreover, Honda could offer, as an accessory, panels that would attach between the extended D-pillars and the bed rails, thereby giving the increased bed wall height near the cab as represented in the G1. IOW, you could make your own sail panels, and remove at any time.

Owners could also add KC Lites on top of the "roll bar" to further enhance the "baja" trucky appearance.

The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. The question is whether Honda has the cajones and is willing to out forth the engineering resources to do it.

Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
Never considered the G1 because of the bed - I want / need a bed box that's level (rail) all the way to the cab, that a matter of function not style for me. Other than that, I could live with either G1 or 2 body style ..... it's the major and unique functional features that sold me on the Ridgeline:
  • 48" flat bed width between wheel wells
  • 2-way tailgate
  • trunk
  • IRS / ride comfort
  • AWD system
Not subject to 'real truck' insecurities, don't need to 'look unique', as long as they retain all of the above they'd have to really screw-up the styling** on a 'G3' to make me pass-it-by given how happy I am with my G2's functionality.

**An Edsel horse-collar grille would probably tear-it for me in spite of the functional attractions :LOL:

Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
Over the years, the look of the 1G has grown on me and it's been a while since anyone has stopped me to unintelligently suggest that I "get a real truck" (rolling my eyes). It's the subtle styling cues of the 1G that i've grown to appreciate. I've mentioned before how the shape of the 06-08 grill was carried throughout the vehicle used under the hood on the fresh air intake, on the door sills, floor mats, dashboard (which also comes to a "ridge" above the speedo). It's on cap for the bed rails and also on the top of the rear bumper. Somebody with some sense of design thought to do this. Subtleties like this are what ties a vehicle together.

IMO, the design of the 2G is too plain jane, and the Pilot's styling doesn't flow well with a bed. Also, borrowing the Pilot's cab created challenges with dimensions that could't be modified (within the budget I'm assuming). The Result is smaller rear door openings and exterior proportions that appear to me as, well, off. It's like putting the two vehicles together was a total after-thought. On the flip of that, it's still the perfect "sized" vehicle for my needs. Although I think it looks odd, with some slight modifications such as a leveling kit and tires that fill the wheel wells..i'd still consider buying one when my 1G crapps out. I've also mentioned before that a family member is a tech. for Honda. He and his colleagues think that the 2G is a place holder vehicle...for the possibility of a 3G, I hope that's true.

The 1G didn't sell very well, but it was also an odd looking, niche vehicle in production during a crazy recession. 2G is selling better, but it's not setting any records. I hope it sticks around.

Registered
I never loved the G1鈥檚 sloped bed sides. I鈥檝e seen worse, but I was glad they found a way to maintain rigidity with 鈥榝lat鈥 bed sides.

Other than that, I find the G1 preferable in almost every way. The back seat on the G1 is roomier and it鈥檚 easier to get into and out of. The floor space between the front seats is open, which I strongly prefer to the 鈥榗onsole鈥 on the G2.

zroger highlighted something key: Honda made its G2 customers give up reliability and durability both, in order to get slightly better fuel economy. That鈥檚 a hard 鈥減ass鈥 for me.

Registered
Went from a 2007 RTX to a 2018 RTL-E. I like the lower sidewalls of the box on the Gen 2 that makes it easier to access the bed. I don't like or need rear bed speakers. I like the center consol/arm rest on the Gen 1 which was wider. Both had great seats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts