Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 RTL with just a little over 93K. I have had it for close to 2 years now, and by far, it has been the best truck I have ever owned and I have owned many other trucks though over the years. Even my wife likes to drive the Ridgeline and she hated all my other trucks.

My daughter wanted to go truck shopping a few weeks ago, so I drove down to Birmingham and we spent the day test driving a couple of trucks. She drove a new Taco and a 2014 F150. She liked the F150 crew cab, but I thought it was too large for a 26 year old girl, not to mention the gas mileage and the problems Ford is having with their Eco Boost engines. Both of these trucks were in the low $30K range.

After some thought, I hesitatingly offered to sell her my Ridgeline for $5K (she has got to have some skin in the game as I want her to take care of the car, and besides, she doesn't make a whole lot of money).
I am reasonably confident she is going to take me up on my offer. As her dad, I don't want my daughter saddled with a $30K truck debt for the next several years. She is 2 years out of college and still has a little college debt (<$10K) that she is diligently trying to pay off - she doesn't need more debt…

So, this will soon leave me without my beloved truck. I'm here to tell you, as ugly as the G1 Ridgeline is, it has won me over in terms of drivability and versatility. There is just nothing that compares to it.

So, I have been considering the G2, but I am having difficulty justifying the cost of a new vehicle that costs $35K-$40K. Our house is payed off and we have no debt, and I'm planning on retiring in the next 2 years. When you no longer owe anybody, it hard to go back to making payments. I could just about pay cash, but that would liquidate our immediate savings, so I'm not keen on that idea.

Used G1s in my area are few and far between and most have well over 100K miles and it is a crying shame what the dealers are asking for them. Most are over $20K. They are mighty proud of their used fleet. :surprise:

But at the end of the day, I will want another Ridgeline, I just don't want to have to pay for it! :crying:

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you plan on keeping it for about 10 years think about the dollar cost average not the upfront cost.
Payment suck but payments on new is better than repairs on old if you're thinking long term.

at least that's what I tell myself - lol
With that said, I hate payments but I'm hoping my Ridgeline will long outlast the payments.

Also I'm not retiring anytime soon, everyone's situation is different.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Yes, consider cost-to-own, might be closer to your '09 than you think (lower gas, maintenance and possibly lower insurance). And do not forget some of the money lost was a gift to your daughter, not cost of the new vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
Yes, consider cost-to-own, might be closer to your '09 than you think (lower gas, maintenance and possibly lower insurance). And do not forget some of the money lost was a gift to your daughter, not cost of the new vehicle.
This! If your 2009 RTL is in good shape and miles are reasonable, it is probably worth at least in the upper teens to low 20s, I'd guess. So the gift is substantial indeed. ;)

I hope your daughter is appreciative of the gift!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the refreshing perspective. I did not see it before, now I do.

I talked with her this evening and indicated I am not yet ready to give it up as I want to change out the radiator for her before passing it on. Just a little insurance going forward. She will be giving us back the 2000 Camry we gave her. It now has 196K miles on it.

We bought the Camry new and it has been a good car. We gave it to her about 7 years ago when her Honda Accord got stolen right in front of her apartment. I don't know why, but I still have the title to the Accord. Maybe someday the police will recover it, but I'm not holding my breath.. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Daniel,

Nice that your willing to do that for your daughter. Considering that you were able to do that, expand your horizons on where your shopping for Ridgeline's, Guessing if your 2 years from retirement, you also have significant "Vacation Time" with your employer. Look 500 or even 1000 miles from BHM and you may find what your looking for and replace your G1 with a newer or lower mileage RL.

Honda Ridgeline for Sale in Birmingham, AL 35242: cars between 10000 and 24000 - Autotrader Autotrader has several within 500 miles, and narrowing it down to RTL or SE and the list still dropped to 14, not bad considering 2010-2014 the production numbers were so low

Another option is Carmax, which has 5 within 500 miles and 4 are able to be transferred for a reasonable fee. https://www.carmax.com/search#Distance=500&MaxYear=2014&MinYear=2010&Refinements=4294963181+4294962747&Zip=35244

On the other hand, with so much available "credit", why not go for a 2017 and have the latest and greatest for 10 or more years into retirement, consider this your "retirement" gift and pay it off soon so you can retire in 2 year.

Good Luck

·
Registered
971 Posts
My dilemma is that holding onto a 2006 gen 1 is depreciating really fast now. It will by far out last until its basically worth a few thousand dollars but putting down 2K on a new vehicle is pointless. Might as well bite the bullet and trade it in now. I was holding onto to see what gen 2 would be like but that just cost me about 2K on its own last few years.

However to the original post the kids usually don't like the cars we drive so its a tough spot to be in but I agree very nice gesture and one that your daughter will likely appreciate and learn from to when she is older.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts