Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did not like that one of the cheapest pieces of plastic was right at my hands, so carbon fiber vinyl over the steering wheel trim. Not my best work, was not very patient, but I like it more than the scratched plastic metal, it feels nice to touch and it looks better (less pronounced) in person. Leather wheel is next...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
looks good to me. :)

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,594 Posts
Did not like that one of the cheapest pieces of plastic was right at my hands, so carbon fiber vinyl over the steering wheel trim. Not my best work, was not very patient, but I like it more than the scratched plastic metal, it feels nice to touch and it looks better (less pronounced) in person. Leather wheel is next...

Looks fine but the stock piece is not cheap "plastic metal" at all but rather real aluminum.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, my spec had lots of scratches on that piece so did not look good in any case. In retrospect might have gotten a better result with plastidip...

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Nicely done, now you need to do the rest of the dash :)

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Good job. I like the look

·
Registered
67 Posts

how did you go about installing the carbon fiber? I'm guessing it's just like a vinyl wrap or something of that nature right? did you remove the metal accent and then cut the carbon fiber wrap to size?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
5,540 Posts
I think it looks great and the installation looks fine. I like that the line pattern in the carbon fiber lines up perfectly with the diagonal line of the steering wheel trim on the left side.;act028:

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how did you go about installing the carbon fiber? I'm guessing it's just like a vinyl wrap or something of that nature right? did you remove the metal accent and then cut the carbon fiber wrap to size?
Nothing very fancy, in fact I did not intentionally line up the carbon lines with the wheel... just eyeballed it... I took a full sheet and put the whole thing on and started with the knife. 25 minutes max... Did it with the interior hot on a sunny day to make sure I could stretch the vinyl a little where needed. I just use a finger nail to get the edges underneath the neighboring pieces. (In my younger days, would have spent 3 hours trying to get this perfect LOL).

Later I added a little carbon fiber strip under the head unit where there is a lip... for some reason that piece of plastic had some odd staining and scratching... I really did not expect this to work, but it came out amazing... sorry for the grainy lighting, its night and the blue leds are out:

·
Registered
67 Posts
ImageUploadedByAG Free1433813478.467487.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1433813497.465735.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1433813519.535684.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1433813533.520689.jpg

I did the steering wheel just like you and then decided to do a few more accents, I did the Honda emblem, the black window button trim on all 4 doors, and I did the silver trim on the MPH guage. Thanks so much for the idea my man!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nothing very fancy, in fact I did not intentionally line up the carbon lines with the wheel... just eyeballed it... I took a full sheet and put the whole thing on and started with the knife. 25 minutes max... Did it with the interior hot on a sunny day to make sure I could stretch the vinyl a little where needed. I just use a finger nail to get the edges underneath the neighboring pieces. (In my younger days, would have spent 3 hours trying to get this perfect LOL).

Later I added a little carbon fiber strip under the head unit where there is a lip... for some reason that piece of plastic had some odd staining and scratching... I really did not expect this to work, but it came out amazing... sorry for the grainy lighting, its night and the blue leds are out:

The vinyl wrap is so much easier to work with if you use a heat gun or hair dryer

·
Registered
67 Posts
EJ or anyone,

While the steering wheel accent piece was off did you notice any unused pigtails back in the wheel? If there is I would like to go with the RTL wheel accent and install the stereo controls.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Just a thought to consider.

Putting the carbon fiber ( or anything ) on the H on the steering wheel could potentially be dangerous.
The airbag splits right there across the center. An air bag deploys in 1/100 of a second at approximately 200 MPH Anything not tethered well between you and the bag will become a projectile. Even a vinyl sticker flying into your eyes at that rate could present additional problems.

Yeah its a small thing. No in the big scheme of things it really might not matter, but simply ask yourself if its worth it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just a thought to consider.

Putting the carbon fiber ( or anything ) on the H on the steering wheel could potentially be dangerous.
The airbag splits right there across the center. An air bag deploys in 1/100 of a second at approximately 200 MPH Anything not tethered well between you and the bag will become a projectile. Even a vinyl sticker flying into your eyes at that rate could present additional problems.

Yeah its a small thing. No in the big scheme of things it really might not matter, but simply ask yourself if its worth it.

oh god k dog your absolutely right, thank you for telling me that I completely forgot. but wait wouldnt the plastic Honda emblem turn into a projectile also?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
oh god k dog your absolutely right, thank you for telling me that I completely forgot. but wait wouldnt the plastic Honda emblem turn into a projectile also?

No, as that is installed as an integral part of the airbag system.
Its designed to be there.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Amazing work there, looks more polished than mine, good work. Especially impressed with the edgeworking on the door panels, how did you do that?

As to the airbag, the splits are hinged, would not worry about it, if the carbon were to come off, not sure why it would, would probably hit the headliner... look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlWJayKWvw0

·
Registered
67 Posts
Amazing work there, looks more polished than mine, good work. Especially impressed with the edgeworking on the door panels, how did you do that?

As to the airbag, the splits are hinged, would not worry about it, if the carbon were to come off, not sure why it would, would probably hit the headliner... look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlWJayKWvw0

thanks my man, you started the idea lol so kudos to you! The edges on the door panel were actually pretty easy. I started by cutting a sheet that overlapped the black panel, took the backing off and stuck it on, then I took the heat gun, heated it for alittle, cut the window and lock buttons out, and then heated it up again and used a credit card to push in the edges and then i used an xacto knife which is the key tool to the edge work and cut it nice and close for a clean fit! and thank you for the airbag video, very reassuring

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts