Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One week left until we all know what the new Ridgeline will look like. One more week until we know some vital stats. I don't know about you all but I'm excited! I just hope they do it justice with their overall marketing. As long as it retains it functionality (and the new ones are useful) I think this truck (SUT) will do well in the market.

It's going to look generally like the Pilot in the front end with some tweaks I'm sure. Basically more of an aero front end which the Chevy Colorado has also adopted. Is it going to outsell F-150's, no. I'm hoping it will put a good dent in the midsize market by being more fuel efficient, functional for the majority everyday use, and having some unique tricks up its sleeve. :act035:

·
Registered
566 Posts
I joined the forum because I am very seriously considering buying a new RL as soon as they release, I currently have a '14 CR-V and im looking for more power to haul a fishing boat and occasionally a small trailer.

I respect the reliability and longevity of all the Honda products ive owned so that's why im interested in the Ridgeline.

The things that will hold me back from a 2nd Gen RL purchase are:

-less than 20mpg in town
-if body is ugly or doesn't look like a truck (i won't drive a truck that looks like a car)
-if the price is the same as or more than Colorado/Canyon

I actually dont mind the looks of the 1st Gen Ridgeline except for the buttress, and the new one doesn't have it so thats a good sign.. lets just hope that front end doesnt look like a mini van.

300hp would be nice and compete with Chevys 305hp colorado.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,392 Posts
Nothing Personal Plex, but, with your requirements I'd say your screwed...

I joined the forum because I am very seriously considering buying a new RL as soon as they release, I currently have a '14 CR-V and im looking for more power to haul a fishing boat and occasionally a small trailer.

I respect the reliability and longevity of all the Honda products ive owned so that's why im interested in the Ridgeline.

The things that will hold me back from a 2nd Gen RL purchase are:

-less than 20mpg in town (Doubtful)
-if body is ugly or doesn't look like a truck (i won't drive a truck that looks like a car) (That's all in the eye of the buyer)
-if the price is the same as or more than Colorado/Canyon (Honda's are pricey)

I actually dont mind the looks of the 1st Gen Ridgeline except for the buttress, and the new one doesn't have it so thats a good sign.. lets just hope that front end doesnt look like a mini van. (almost a given)

300hp would be nice and compete with Chevys 305hp colorado. (Doubtful)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Realistically, I don't see how the new RL can beat the Pilot's city ratings with 6-sp AT: 19 mpg for FWD, 18 mpg for AWD.
You got me there, i may be overly optimistic but would still buy it at 18 in the city assuming it met most of my expectations at the same price as the colorado.

I need it to beat the chevy colorados 17/24 MPG ratings in order to consider it.

The market is full of good midsize trucks

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Well one good thing about Honda's posted mpgs -- they are generally reliable estimates if not conservative. Piloteers for the most part seem to be getting at least the combined rating and many of them are beating the highway rating.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I get 1-2 mpg better than advertised with my CR-V, so i can attest to that

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,600 Posts
On the other hand. . .

I have never gotten (even on long trips) the 21mpg highway that my 06 is rated at. About 19 is the best I have done.

I average around 15mpg driving around a congested city including about 1/3 highway.

The new Pilot seems to be a real highway machine (with halfway decent aerodynamics) so it may well do better than rated on the highway. The GenII Ridge should be similar . . .

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the other hand. . .

I have never gotten (even on long trips) the 21mpg highway that my 06 is rated at. About 19 is the best I have done.

I average around 15mpg driving around a congested city including about 1/3 highway.

The new Pilot seems to be a real highway machine (with halfway decent aerodynamics) so it may well do better than rated on the highway. The GenII Ridge should be similar . . .
Agreed. I usually average about 18-19 mpg combined. But on the highway the most I see is maybe 20 at the highest. The wife usually gets about 1-2 mpg less than I do. Guess she is the lead foot in the family :act063::act010::act018:

·
Super Moderator
5,542 Posts
We could have a poll on what color the display RL G2 will be. I am thinking the same color as new Pilot was--bright blue.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought a 06 new. Now 188,000 miles. I most all ways get at least 21 mpg on highway at 70-75 mph. Around 17 in town. Anxious to see new one but unless it has a lot of features mine doesn't have now I'll drive mine for a couple hundred thousand more miles!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
-less than 20mpg in town
-if body is ugly or doesn't look like a truck (i won't drive a truck that looks like a car)

If you are able to afford the sticker price, less than 20 mpg should not make a difference
In my mind the most important consideration would be reliability , we all know that Honda is that

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm excited for the reveal too, but honestly I'm becoming more in love with my truck. The utility is exactly what I need. I'm at 100k now, putting 80k on it myself. Even loving the '08 looks even more. It is truly unique on the road, and honestly looks like everyone has 'caught on' to the RL styling... everything is boxy/bulbous in the fullsize market.

·
Registered
566 Posts
-less than 20mpg in town

If you are able to afford the sticker price, less than 20 mpg should not make a difference
In my mind the most important consideration would be reliability , we all know that Honda is that
Good points, im expecting it to be 18-19 mph city, which is fine, it wouldn't be a deal breaker but i really want to see 20 as unlikely as it is. At 18 or 19 in city it should be able to tow 5,500-6,000 though and be close in payload to competition to even come close to compete with other "trucks" on market. But reliability and longevity is what keeps me coming back in the end.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,600 Posts
Good points, im expecting it to be 18-19 mph city, which is fine, it wouldn't be a deal breaker but i really want to see 20 as unlikely as it is. At 18 or 19 in city it should be able to tow 5,500-6,000 though and be close in payload to competition to even come close to compete with other "trucks" on market. But reliability and longevity is what keeps me coming back in the end.
FYI, the payload capacities for any of the other mid-size competition ranges from around 1300 to 1600lbs depending on configuration.

The GenII ridge should match the top of that easily. I would also expect (per Joe's comments) that the GenII will offer around 5500lbs of towing.

·
Registered
971 Posts
FYI, the payload capacities for any of the other mid-size competition ranges from around 1300 to 1600lbs depending on configuration.

The GenII ridge should match the top of that easily. I would also expect (per Joe's comments) that the GenII will offer around 5500lbs of towing.
If they can stretch it to 6K that would be outstanding though. Don't know if it will quite make that but 5500 although improvement still seems a little behind the comp at about 6400-7K. Mind you 7k is a little over the top for a midsize imo.

·
Registered
566 Posts
the midsize colorado duramax can tow 7600 i think, 6k sounds a lot better than 5.5k

1 - 20 of 34 Posts