Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I built a small jon boat to fish the waters that I couldn't get the big boat in.
As I started researching the RL, I found that the bed/trunk setup was ideal for my little boat and gear. The width between the wheel wells meant that the boat would set flat on the floor and not have to sit on cross pieces above the wheel wells like it did in the Ranger. The trunk was large enough to hold my trolling motor, battery, fish finder and other gear securely and not just under the boat as in the Ranger. No other truck has that capability.
Picture 1 - All my gear stowed in the trunk
Picture 2 - A solution for the "scratch resistent" surface of the bed. It's simply a piece of commercial carpet with a couple of 2x2's and cord with a hook attached. One 2x2 fits over the lip of the tail gate and the other goes in the gap between the tailgate and the bed to hold it in place. Because of the heavy pressure on the edge of the tailgate when starting to slide the boat in, the hook attaches to the hitch to further locate the carpet. Scratching problem solved.
The cord setup in the front attaches to a V-cleat at the front of the boat so that once you set the boat on the edge of the tail gate, you can attach the cord so that the boat won't slip off while you go to the rear to load it. A one-man boat isn't much good if it take two to load it.
Picture 3 - The boat loaded and ready to go. The boat weighs about 100 lb. without the seat in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Great idea!

·
Registered
112 Posts
show us the boat.....

Ok-
Now we need a photo of the boat. It looks interesting.
We have a 16 Carolina Skiff but also keep a Small Jon boat for the same reason.
Small boat = SMall water!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can do better than that ridgerberry. Go to my fishing club's website http://obpc0.tripod.com/ and scroll down to "Building a Jon Boat" on the left side and you can see how the boat was made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts