Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The push button ligthts above the dash have dual functionality. They work when they are pushed in and when the interior light is set to the door switch, they also tun on when the door is open. The light bulb inside is not a dual filament bulb.

The problem I have is that the Both left and right lights works when I am sitting in the car with the door closed and I push the button in. Only the right light works when open the door to exit. Anyone have a clue?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow, that's strange, me to, sort of, last night I went out and noticed that the interior lights didn't turn on for me when I opened the door. The worked fine when I push the buttons. I have no idea what might have changed and I'm second guessing myself as to whether they ever worked.

You wrote "and when the interior light is set to the door switch" are you saying there's some sort of setup I can do to fix my problem?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks but remember with my problem, 2 out of the 3 lights come on when the door opens. Only ones does not. The dome light switch is turned on to the door triggar function. Both front lights should work at the same time. Only one works at a time.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
The push button ligthts above the dash have dual functionality. They work when they are pushed in and when the interior light is set to the door switch, they also tun on when the door is open. The light bulb inside is not a dual filament bulb.

The problem I have is that the Both left and right lights works when I am sitting in the car with the door closed and I push the button in. Only the right light works when open the door to exit. Anyone have a clue?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but the map lights' "dual functionality" indicates that there would be another (seperate) ground involved in the circuit, no?

It seems here that the "local" (wire in the maplight switch assembly) ground is firm, whereas the "remote" (wire to the interior light switch - "ON: OFF: DOOR" switch) ground may have been compromised.

I'd start by checking the connections at the maplight assembly, particularly the GRN/RED wire connection between the individual maplight switches.
If no problem is found with the connections (either at the wire junction, or the connection of the wire at the switch), it's likely the offending light's switch would need replaced.

I'm no electronics wizard, so as this simple "diagnosis" seems logical to me, it's offered as just an idea that you might want to persue. (I sensed a bit of "desperation" in your last post ;) )

Good luck, and report back with any results/fixes. :)

Attachments

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great Idea, I will try that. I did not know they have 2 seperate grounds.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but the map lights' "dual functionality" indicates that there would be another (seperate) ground involved in the circuit, no?

It seems here that the "local" (wire in the maplight switch assembly) ground is firm, whereas the "remote" (wire to the interior light switch - "ON: OFF: DOOR" switch) ground may have been compromised.

I'd start by checking the connections at the maplight assembly, particularly the GRN/RED wire connection between the individual maplight switches.
If no problem is found with the connections (either at the wire junction, or the connection of the wire at the switch), it's likely the offending light's switch would need replaced.

I'm no electronics wizard, so as this simple "diagnosis" seems logical to me, it's offered as just an idea that you might want to persue. (I sensed a bit of "desperation" in your last post ;) )

Good luck, and report back with any results/fixes. :)

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
im kinda dizzy from that question i think i should leave work and go home sick :D
LOL. Sorry dude. :eek:

In my attempts to be completely understood, I, more often than not, tend to give a more lengthy explanation, albeit thorough, than what is necessary...

Heh-heh! See what I mean. :eek:

If "run-on's" get ya dizzy, you'd better bring your dramamine with you to any threads where I've posted. :p lol

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Great Idea, I will try that. I did not know they have 2 seperate grounds.

I was hoping that someone else would've jumped-in to either confirm or dispute my diagnosis, as like I said, I'm no electronics wiz.

The point is, even though I provided a diagram that I've interpreted as showing two grounds, I'm not 100% sure that that is, in fact, the case with the wiring.
It simply would be my starting point if I'd been the one with the problem. ;)

Let us know what you find out, by all means. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2006 RTL w/nav. Only one of the front dome lights would work with the doors, but both would work by pressing the lens to "force" on the light. It's the switch. The switch has three small receptacles which, when pushed into place, interface with three metal blades. One of these metal blades is not making sufficient contact inside the switch for the errant bulb. I dismantled the overhead assembly, removed the switch by prying it outward, applied a small tweak to all three blades, reinserted the switch, reinstalled the overhead assembly, and problem solved. Don't worry if it doesn't seem to work before reinstalling the assembly. One of the bolts is the grounding contact and unless that bolt is completing the circuit, the lights won't behave nicely.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks rj for the info.my 07 is doing the same thing,strange that its only the drivers side that is going out.:(

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2006 RTL w/nav. Only one of the front dome lights would work with the doors, but both would work by pressing the lens to "force" on the light. It's the switch. The switch has three small receptacles which, when pushed into place, interface with three metal blades. One of these metal blades is not making sufficient contact inside the switch for the errant bulb. I dismantled the overhead assembly, removed the switch by prying it outward, applied a small tweak to all three blades, reinserted the switch, reinstalled the overhead assembly, and problem solved. Don't worry if it doesn't seem to work before reinstalling the assembly. One of the bolts is the grounding contact and unless that bolt is completing the circuit, the lights won't behave nicely.
Thanks for stepping up, rj! Great first post. :cool:
Was the connector blade easy to get at? What did you use for the tweak, needlenose pliers... metal probe...?
Did you have success on the first try?

Welcome to the ROC! :)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks RJ. I kida got use to it now but I think I will try to fix this again.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Both of our ridgelines do that exact same thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
found some interesting things on my 06 when I wet to put a used homelink in it. two power wires to the dome light no ground wire. the set up grounds threw the bolt. (screw) to the body. one power wire is continuous duty one is off the door switch timer set up. I'm guessing that the contact for the door wire . is not making contact with the power side of you bulb. as described. which answers my question of how to make the door wire work. the homelink is wired different but used the same connector. right now I don't have the door switch wire hooked up. but looking at the two of them I can see it's a bunch of crimped straps running in the plastic that sorts the power. no wounder they stop working.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just had similar problems with my front dome lights. They seemed to work only when they felt like it.
I replaced the bulbs-problem solved.
I figure that the filaments were broken & were touching from time-to-time.
Hope this helps...:)

Aug. 09: The problem is recurring. Therefore I agree with post #11 rjolsen & will try this on the next rainy day....

·
Registered
30 Posts
About 2 weeks ago I noticed the exact same problem. I am going to take the assembly apart and check the switch...

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Driver's side dome light doesn't work all of the time and I found that if I tap either the lens or somewhere in the area (sometime harder than others) the light comes on.. making me believe it is a bad contact somewhere

·
Registered
215 Posts
Interesting. I have the exact same problem with the drivers side map light not working when the doors opens. I will try to remove the assembly and fiddle with it.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts