Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds familiar, had the same problem with the passenger side, took it apart and cleaned contact points and fiddled with those pins some but it's seems to be working Ok for now.... Honda maybe time for a small recall??:act064:
Yeah when I asked my local dealer about this issue they wanted to charge me a $119 diagnostic fee. When I said no to the fee they said they most likely have to replace the whole assembly, $376.00. I said no. They also wanted $290 to do an oil change, replace the air filter and cabin filter. Gotta love those dealers.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,547 Posts
I've had a similar issue with our Pilot for a long time now. I need to try this fix. Rusty... standing by for those pics. :act024:

Here's a similar thread over at Piloteers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah when I asked my local dealer about this issue they wanted to charge me a $119 diagnostic fee. When I said no to the fee they said they most likely have to replace the whole assembly, $376.00. I said no. They also wanted $290 to do an oil change, replace the air filter and cabin filter. Gotta love those dealers.
The oil change and the air filter certainly don't cost that much - even at a dealer. How much and how hard is the cabin filter change?

·
Super Moderator
23,547 Posts
The oil change and the air filter certainly don't cost that much - even at a dealer. How much and how hard is the cabin filter change?
Easy!

Check the thread. (darn forum won't let me post without putting more into the response).

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I had the same problem as others with my Drivers Side Dome Light not coming on when the doors were opened but working if I pushed the button. I used the information in this thread to correct my problem. Thanks to the ones before me who solved this issue.

I took some pictures of the Dome Light removed to show the white push button in questions in case someone else in the future needs to address this same issue.

Once you remove the Map Light Assy. pry the push button switch off.

This shows the Map Light Assy. with one push button switch in and the other removed.

Once the switch is removed you will see the 3 pins that need to be cleaned and bent to make proper connection.

This is what the push button switch looks like once removed. I used a piece of wire and pushed it in and out of each hole to help clean the contacts in case they had corrosion on them.

This pic shows both lights working with the door open without being fully assembled and bolted in. This way you can test your work before you reassemble and bolt everything in only to find out it doesn't work and more cleaning or different bending needs to be applied. The push button switch will not work until the assy. is bolted in. As stated before the bolt acts as a ground for the push button.

Finished and both lights worked. I was able to fix mine on the first try. I hope everyone who has this problem in the future has the same luck.

·
Super Moderator
23,547 Posts
I should look at our Pilot which has a similar issue. Nice job.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This just happened to me this week. Thanks to all you guys who have solved this for us freshmen. This forum is great!! I am going to tackle this tonight. I couldn't wait to get to the ROC today to research this problem.:act035:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Couldn't wait until after work, did this at lunch. 15 minutes I was done. Thanks to everyone, especially AG87BLKlX for the pictures, made it simple.:act024:

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Couldn't wait until after work, did this at lunch. 15 minutes I was done. Thanks to everyone, especially AG87BLKlX for the pictures, made it simple.:act024:
I'm glad the pictures were helpful. It's not a hard project at all but if someone has never taken anything apart before they might feel a little overwhelmed to try something like this. I figured pictures would help ease any worries about not understanding the written directions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How do you remove the map light assembly? How do you get from looking at the light to the pont where AG87BlkLX's pictures pick up?

Nevermind, I found the video showing how to remove the light assembly. Thank you so much for taking the time to post the pictures of how to repair this. It helps tremendously!

I have to fix the driver's side so the map light comes on when the door is opened.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nevermind, I found the video showing how to remove the light assembly.
Would you be so kind and link it here?

Edit: Nevermind, it`s easy, two bolts in shades compartment and two under the lenses/push buttons.

I can`t believe Honda designed this POS switch, aluminum blades? really??!! I tweaked them a bit and result is intermittent. Gonna be tweaking some more tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK! A question for you guys that actually dropped the dough for a new assembly. Does anybody want to get rid of the old functioning switch for a few bucks? Maybe we could get a deal going here where one guy replaces the whole unit and somebody else buys the good switch off the old system. Make the cost for both guys less.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Posting my thanks to all who have gone before me on this repair.

I just bought a 2006 with a light problem: only the driver side would work on a push, neither would light up when "ON" or door open.

Sure enough, taking the light fixture down, popping the switches out, then bending the contacts on both switches down a touch fixed everything good as new.

There's strength in numbers! Just ask the Egyptians, Tunisians, Libyans, Bahrainians, etc.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It took me a while to "pop" the covers off the lights.
I didn't want to break a piece of plastic.
Contacts needed adjusting.
Now how can I get the drivers seat fixed????
It has that crushed, rincled look too.

·
Super Moderator
23,547 Posts
I'd say your best bet for the seat repair is a good local upholstery shop.

·
Registered
332 Posts
This fix still works! 15 minutes or less.;act028:
Thanks ROC! Searching old threads does pay off!

mine just developed this problem. For some reason, my 10 year old daughter could make the light come on, but I couldn't. Then it died altogether. Bulb was fine (I switched with the side that was still working) Took the assembly out. Cleaned the switches, reinstalled...didn't work, took out, noticed middle pin was slightly out of alignment with the others (less than 1 mm) and pushed on it to realign, then reinstalled and presto it works.

Would have been 15 minutes except I somehow grounded the circuit and blew the fuse. Took me another few minutes to locate a spare fuse for the interior lights and replace it. (The fuse puller in the underhood fuse box is a life saver! - thanks again ROC!)

41 - 60 of 185 Posts