Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Administrator
20,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few Onewheels during my evening jogs at the local trails and am intrigued - I had no idea such a vehicle existed until recently. I haven't been on a skateboard since I was a teenager, but I'm thinking about picking up a Onewheel Pint just for fun.

The AC outlet in the RTL-E's bed should charge it nicely. :)

Anyone else here ever ridden one?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,557 Posts
Goodness. I'm still recovering from broken bones suffered in a bicycle crash 4 months ago. Imagine what I would break riding something like that!

·
Registered
705 Posts
They seem cool and look like a lot of fun. So do some of the electric bikes I see buzzing around the local park when I'm out jogging. I haven't gotten either one for a couple of reasons. The first one is that I think I might be too tempted to replace my jogging with something less beneficial for my health. The second is that I have heard the failure mode on the one wheel is sometimes a faceplant, so I'd have to wear more protective gear than I'd like to be safe.

Simpler and better IMO if you're doing it just for fun to use a regular bike or regular skateboard. If you are actually using it for transportation then that's a bit of a different story.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Safety - Ridgeline: airbags, antilock breaks, blind side warning, etc. etc. Skateboard: a very good way to get hurt if you're over 25 lol
Exercise - Ridgeline: can take you and friends to awesome places for biking/hiking. Skateboard: you can't get very far but you will get some actual exercise using it
Street cred: Ridgeline: pretty damn cool vehicle especially if customized a bit. Skateboard: good for kids

·
Administrator
20,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen a few Onewheels during my evening jogs at the local trails and am intrigued - I had no idea such a vehicle existed until recently. I haven't been on a skateboard since I was a teenager, but I'm thinking about picking up a Onewheel Pint just for fun.

The AC outlet in the RTL-E's bed should charge it nicely. :)

Anyone else here ever ridden one?

Well, I did it. I dropped a Cleveland on a Onewheel Pint after watching a couple hours of reviews and instructional videos on YouTube this afternoon. I practiced falling off of it a few dozen times inside my garage with the door closed to avoid embarrassment. I wiggled, jiggled, and shot the thing out from underneath me for about 15 minutes until I finally got to the point I could stay on it for a few seconds and move in a straight line. I then progressed to my 100-foot driveway. Within an hour, I was able to go, stop, and even turn without falling off. I had a blast and look forward to more practice tomorrow.

Learning how to ride it is like learning how to drive a manual transmission (except maybe faster). Instruction can only go so far - you have to try it and you'll eventually either "get it" or you won't. It didn't take as long as I thought and once I "got" the physics of leaning forward or backward to speed up or slow down and pivoting my ankles forward or backward to turn right or left while simultaneously leaning forward, progress started happening.

·
Administrator
20,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had the Onewheel for about 10 days and have put 61 miles on it so far.

The attention it attracts is almost overwhelming. Everyone from kids to grandparents stops to ask questions like:

"What's that?" (It's a Onewheel.)
"Is that hard to ride?" (There was certainly a learning curve for me, but I imagine it's actually easier than skating.)
"I'd break every bone in my body!" (That happens on skateboards, bicycles, and other things, too.)
"Did you make that?" (No.)
"How fast does that go?" (16+ MPH, but I mostly enjoy around 10 MPH.)
"That's cool!" (That's why I bought one.)
"I want one of those!" (Me, too!)
"That looks like a blast!" (Absolutely it is! It's thrilling, yet relaxing to cruise quietly along the trail while watching nature and watching people smile!)

If any of you daredevils are looking for another hobby, I highly recommend a Onewheel.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,557 Posts

The attention it attracts is almost overwhelming. Everyone from kids to grandparents stops to ask questions like:

"Is that hard to ride?" (There was certainly a learning curve for me, but I imagine it's actually easier than skating.)
"I'd break every bone in my body!" (That happens on skateboards, bicycles, and other things, too.)
"That looks like a blast!" (Absolutely it is! It's thrilling, yet relaxing to cruise quietly along the trail while watching nature and watching people smile!)

If any of you daredevils are looking for another hobby, I highly recommend a Onewheel.
Sounds intriguing. What protective gear do you wear?

·
Administrator
20,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Sounds intriguing. What protective gear do you wear?
Helmet, elbow pads, wrist guards, knee pads, fear, caution, and respect for the pushback*.

*There's an app that communicates with the board for speed, distance, location, battery, temperatures, warnings, and adjustments, but that relies on a smartphone with a Bluetooth connection. "Pushback" is the only way the Onewheel has to reliably warn the rider. When the board senses that you're approaching its torque limit due to maximum speed, maximum rate of acceleration, maximum grade, or low battery level, it will pivot backward from level. When this happens, you should respond by shifting your weight rearward. If you ignore pushback and exceed the torque limit, the motor will shut off, the board will nosedive, and...well...you know the rest. :)

I'm surprised it doesn't have some type of audible warning - perhaps Future Motion will add that in newer models. I'm not sure why they couldn't use the brushless motor windings as a speaker like DJI does with the motors in their drones or create a "rumble" like automakers do with electric power steering motors.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
482 Posts

i got to test one out whehn i went camping a few weeks ago and it was so much fun, it can be a bit tiring to ride but less than a skateboard thats for sure.

I dont know if i can drop the money for one, we will see. I do really like them, they are a blast to ride

·
Administrator
20,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I floated on a new trail this evening that was much more technical than the wide, straight, concrete trails that I started out on. This trail was asphalt with more imperfections, hills, uneven surfaces, and sharp turns and definitely gave me some practice. My feet start to get numb after about 30 minutes, but a short break with some stretching and sitting recharges me for another 30 minutes. I can float comfortably for about an hour and a half, which is about how long the battery lasts, before my feet are ready to head home. :)

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,578 Posts
I floated on a new trail this evening that was much more technical than the wide, straight, concrete trails that I started out on. This trail was asphalt with more imperfections, hills, uneven surfaces, and sharp turns and definitely gave me some practice. My feet start to get numb after about 30 minutes, but a short break with some stretching and sitting recharges me for another 30 minutes. I can float comfortably for about an hour and a half, which is about how long the battery lasts, before my feet area ready to head home. :)
Just think, if you get good enough by Halloween, you can don a sheet and "float" around the neighborhood as the friendly ghost!

·
Administrator
20,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
365 Posts
@zroger73 Just saw your posts on the OneWheel. I bought the original when they first came out in like 2014 or 15 and still use it. My kids are trying it out but still a bit young. It is a blast and like you said, everyone looks. Pads are the key, especially wrist guards. Had a good spill this summer and the wrist guard plastic took the brunt of it by the way it’s now ground down. Definitely an awesome toy!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts