Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 14 months and 11k miles one of my firestone destinations has developed a sidewall bubble. I understand that it is suggested that both tires on the same axle should have about the same wear. I am being offered a pair of Continental CrossContact LX25 for $175 each including mounting and balancing. Would these be safe/a good deal for the front axle and the old firestones on the rear?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Generally, it’s safer to put the new tires on the rear axle but at 11K miles not sure it’s a big deal.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,197 Posts
When situations like this occur, I have had good luck with lightly used tires purchased on Ebay. I would figure out how much tread you have on your current LE2s and then buy one with a similar tread depth and then have it installed. You can then get full life from the OEMs and be able to rotate them normally without any worries. Here's an Ebay search for you with plenty of options to choose from.

·
Administrator
15,214 Posts
After 14 months and 11k miles one of my firestone destinations has developed a sidewall bubble. I understand that it is suggested that both tires on the same axle should have about the same wear. I am being offered a pair of Continental CrossContact LX25 for $175 each including mounting and balancing. Would these be safe/a good deal for the front axle and the old firestones on the rear?
Why not let the warranty cover this for much less?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When situations like this occur, I have had good luck with lightly used tires purchased on Ebay. I would figure out how much tread you have on your current LE2s and then buy one with a similar tread depth and then have it installed. You can then get full life from the OEMs and be able to rotate them normally without any worries. Here's an Ebay search for you with plenty of options to choose from.
I had no idea you could get used tires on ebay. Thanks but I don't think I want to go that route.

Did you run over something resulting in the bulge?
Might have been getting to close to the curb (or rather right up against it)

Generally, it’s safer to put the new tires on the rear axle but at 11K miles not sure it’s a big deal.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,197 Posts
IMHO it would be a poor choice to drive around with mismatched tires (even if they are matched on the same axles), especially so on a nearly new vehicle. In my way of thinking you have two good options . . .Used tire to match the other three or buy a new set of tires all around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMHO it would be a poor choice to drive around with mismatched tires (even if they are matched on the same axles), especially so on a nearly new vehicle. In my way of thinking you have two good options . . .Used tire to match the other three or buy a new set of tires all around.
This was my concern. The solution: Contacted Firestone Service Center, they had the same tire in stock and measured the tread with a gauge and said the wear was not yet in the area of requiring a replacement of more than one tire, something about "starting out at 12/32nds and only being down to 10/32nds." If it had been down to 7/32nds he would have suggested replacing all 4 of the tires (which has been discussed in another location on this board) they would not prorate the tire but did give a few coins off the price and allowed me to purchase a warranty for the other 3 tires which would give them coverage across the country.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Assuming the vehicle is AWD, I've always heard that proper practice was to replace all 4 tires if there was a failure of one (assuming more than just slight tread wear). The logic being that replacing 1, or even a pair on the same axle, would result in different rates of rotation between wheels/axles which would slowly ruin the differential(s) of the AWD system. Is there a rule of thumb for how much wear (i.e., x/32 of wear) is acceptable so that replacements all around are not needed? Please confirm or correct me. Thx!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Deep Scarlet Pearl
40 Posts
Thanks for the information but this type of damage is not covered by this warranty according to the firestone dealer.
I don’t understand the logic of what the Firestone dealer said. This is clearly not damage, but a manufacturing defect. Did he state what could possibly happen during driving that would cause a bubble like this to appear? Maybe a “murder hornet” stung the tire. <sarcasm> This is how tire manufacturers lose customers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts