Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just replying to the thread about ONSTAR. I wanted to see how many members would be interested in an alternative to ONSTAR. I am the manager for an ADT Dealer, and we are getting ready to release what is called ADT Mobility. This is a (Onstar like) GPS Unit. I will post pics as soon as I have something. This unit simply plugs into one of power outlets. ROC Member cost (should be) $99. per unit (plus ship). The monthly monitoring charge will be $19.95 month, 12 mo. agreement (thru ADT) and this includes unlimited emergency assistance calls and location services 24 hours a day 7 days a week. This service will provide 24-hour emergency assistance with just the push of a button. Pinpoint ADT customer's location and alert police, fire dept.,an ambulance or emergency contact. ADT can determine customers' latitude and longitude (within 30 yards) anywhere in the country. Premium services like ADT Trak and Travel Information Services can be used for a minimal per-use charge. "ADT Trak" (.99 minute) lets customers log onto a personalized and secure website and locate the car that's equipped with MobileSafety on an easy to read map. They can even choose to view a satellite image of its location. "ADT Travel Information Service" (1.49 minute) With a single call, ADT can locate a vehicle using GPS technology and provide directions to hotels, restaurants, gas stations, even nearest ATM- all for $1.49 per minute. Anyhow when everything is finalized I will let all of you know. If you are interested please reply to this post and let me know.
RCU
Yes I will post a pic of the unit as soon as I get one worthy of posting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the sales pitch, but I heard the same pitch in Dallas over a year ago. Glad you are just now getting it in your area. Plus last time my home alarm went off ADT told my wife they called the cops, but apparently they just couldn't bother with that and didn't do it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
swampler said:
Not really something I would buy, but if I were going to, the question I would ask is...If it plugs into the accessory outlet, wouldn't a thief just unplug it to keep you from coming after him? :confused:
It's not a LOJACk alternative. Its the driving directions, ambulance etc...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Resipsa96 said:
Thanks for the sales pitch, but I heard the same pitch in Dallas over a year ago. Glad you are just now getting it in your area. Plus last time my home alarm went off ADT told my wife they called the cops, but apparently they just couldn't bother with that and didn't do it.
Well everyhting at ADT central is monitored and recorded, they can even give you the badge/dispatcher number of the dispatcher. If your police didn't show up, then you need to find out why...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would be interested. I hope it is not to obnoxious of an accessory. My wife would be convinced if it had minimal intrusion into the appearance of the interior of her vehicle.

Any discount if you already have ADT at home and/or have more than one?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Onstar does help with locating stolen vehicles so that is something you would not get with this. Thanks but no thanks for your alternative.

I'm a big Tyco fan but not an ADT fan. I'd rather have my monitoring of my alarm done locally so I went with a smaller local alarm company for my house.

RidgeInTheVille

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RidgeInTheVille said:
Onstar does help with locating stolen vehicles so that is something you would not get with this. Thanks but no thanks for your alternative.

I'm a big Tyco fan but not an ADT fan. I'd rather have my monitoring of my alarm done locally so I went with a smaller local alarm company for my house.

RidgeInTheVille
Again, (if you read the description of services) this is for police, fire, directions etc. Not tracking your stolen car (duh)
Onstar is not available in the Ridge.
I respect your choice, but 6 million people, 90% fortune 500 Companies trust ADT. You may have chosen a "local" company but 90% chance they are sub contracting out your monitoring to another company. Call your "Local" company at 2 am see if you get answer or answering service....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nevadagarth said:
I would be interested. I hope it is not to obnoxious of an accessory. My wife would be convinced if it had minimal intrusion into the appearance of the interior of her vehicle.

Any discount if you already have ADT at home and/or have more than one?
I will let you know as soon as everything is online.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Ridgeline Crime Unit said:
Again, (if you read the description of services) this is for police, fire, directions etc. Not tracking your stolen car (duh)
Funny...the subject says "Onstar Alternative," but you act like we're stupid for pointing out that it is easily disabled by a thief (by simply unplugging it). Onstar's safe and sound plan specifically states "If your vehicle has been stolen, contact the police immediately, and then call OnStar at 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827). At your request, OnStar can work with police to attempt to locate your vehicle using a global positioning satellite system."

Granted, Onstar is not available for the RL, but it seems the subject line is misleading and borderline false advertising. The customer (or potential customer) needs to be aware of this vulnerability before purchasing the system with the associated monthly subscription.

·
Registered
430 Posts
In defense of the original subject line, it does say "alternative" as opposed to OnStar-like service from a new provider. It is a stretch, but I really don't think the intent was to mislead.

I am by far no expert on OnStar, but did OnStar originally offer the vehicle tracking service or was this feature added later?

I for one have been waiting for someone to offer something similar to OnStar to people who don't drive GM products. I eagerly await more information regarding this service.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Premium services like ADT Trak and Travel Information Services can be used for a minimal per-use charge. "ADT Trak" (.99 minute) lets customers log onto a personalized and secure website and locate the car that's equipped with MobileSafety on an easy to read map.
It appears to me that if my vehicle was stolen, I could log on to this website and locate the car that's equipped with MobileSafety. Could this be done? If so, how different is this from OnStar?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
nevadagarth said:
In defense of the original subject line, it does say "alternative" as opposed to OnStar-like service from a new provider. It is a stretch, but I really don't think the intent was to mislead.
Let me clarify before this gets into a war with the OP. I don't think he meant to mislead, but the attitude of "It's not a LOJACk alternative" and "Not tracking your stolen car (duh)" comes across (to me) as arrogant and as though I'm stupid for suggesting that you may not be able to locate a stolen vehicle with it. I'm sure he didn't mean it that way, but that's the way I interpreted it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Onstar is not available in the Ridge.
I respect your choice, but 6 million people, 90% fortune 500 Companies trust ADT. You may have chosen a "local" company but 90% chance they are sub contracting out your monitoring to another company. Call your "Local" company at 2 am see if you get answer or answering service....
I did read the description I was just pointing out differences. Even if it did locate stolen cars, it's not something I am currently interested in, that's all I meant. I'm sure others will want to get it.

I would say 0% chance the company I'm using is doing that but I'm sure others do. I do get a local answer, not somebody down in Florida like other monitoring stations.

RidgeInTheVille

·
Registered
964 Posts
nevadagarth said:

I am by far no expert on OnStar, but did OnStar originally offer the vehicle tracking service or was this feature added later?

I for one have been waiting for someone to offer something similar to OnStar to people who don't drive GM products. I eagerly await more information regarding this service.
OnStar is available in non GM products. I know that VW uses it (I'm sure there is a premium) Acura has it on the RL and MDX. Wonder what it'll take to get it or something like it into more and more vehicles. I had it in my TrailBlazer and that is one of the things I miss. Not that I ever used it, but knowing it was "there" helped.

Here is the website: http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/equip_vehicles/index.jsp

1 - 16 of 16 Posts