Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 28 year old son has been asking me what kind of vehicle he should be looking at to buy. He has been driving an older Cadillac CTS. He says he is interested in SUV, Truck, or Sedan. He is a big kid, 6'1" 270lbs. Up until recently I would have pushed him toward Honda.

Because I have some problems with the way Honda is currently trying to work their way out of a quagmire of problems, I would love to know what other things you guys are driving that you like or think well of based on personal knowledge. I've only owned Honda as a daily driver since 2005, so I'm at a loss on what to tell the kid.

His budget is 30K MAX. 25k is better.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would point him to a Lexus LS430 (2001-2006). They are very reasonably priced (~15K-20K), incredibly reliable, quiet and powerful. Lots of room for bigger folks. I've got a 2004 and it is the best driving vehicle I have ever had and I typically get 21+ MPG around town, and closer to 30MPG on the highway.

How can you not enjoy heated/cooled leather seats, articulating tilt/telescoping steering wheel, self closing doors and a rear refrigerator/cooler in the back seat (on the Ultra only). Not to mention you can put at least 3 whole bodies in the trunk and still have room for other body parts….:act060:

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
The question is it new vehicle he is looking for or used and how old of vehicle is he willing to get. If new I would go the CRV mid range model.
You did not say if AWD is a feature that he would want.
If it were me and I am Honda person on a used vehicle I would go with Acura MDX SH AWD model 2011-2013 in his price range. It would need be higher mileage but will be loaded with features. The premium fuel may be or might not be an issue.
So he is coming from a luxury vehicle most likely would desire some of the features. MDX is sporty SUV might be the multipurpose vehicle that fit's every need.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I also had a used LS430 and while it was comfortable and roomy, it wasn't inexpensive to maintain. Mine had a number of known weak links including tilt / telescope steering wheel and power mirrors that failed and were not cheap to fix. My tranny was also a bit iffy, but never failed on me.

Given his size, I'd recommend a fullsize suv or truck or possibly a Pilot or Ridgeline. As or fullsize suv or truck, I'd start with Toyota and then GM - both probably used for the price point he's targeting. However, he could probably get a new Tundra SR5 4x2 for about $30K.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Stay with Honda, even with all the Honda haters, quality and reliability is still great. Honda since 1981; Accords, Cr-Vs, RLs, and CT. Sad that I never had a Prelude or S-2000. IMO, for a big guy the CT would be ideal, bought ours just for ease on entry and exit as it his higher off the ground than Accord or others. The CT is the best sedan we have had and with the discontinuance there should be some good buys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts