Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, finally I am able to buy a 1st gen Ridgeline. Here are the two choices.

2006 RTL White, 76K miles Navigation two tone green interior OEM roof rack, front "bull bar" hood deflector Lets say I can get it for 16K out the door. 3months/3K warranty

2013 RTL White, 19K miles. charcoal interior OEM roof rack, ,front hood deflector, OEM side running boards, amazing aftermarket sound system, . Soft Topper bed cover tow package.. 32K out the door

While both are in excellent condition, the 2013 is nicer inside... The seats are firmer and dont have that characteristic soft front seat flattened drivers seat... ( was this an issue on the earlier ones? I see this all the time and was wondering did Honda change the seats in the ensuing years?

The 2013 is still under factory drivetrain coverage for another 2 years 40k miles

Thanks for your opinion! Any comments about any of the above two is helpful no matter how small a detail

Pete

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,263 Posts
Go for the '13, better engine & transmission programming. 7yrs & 57k fewer miles. Better tech, integrated backup cam, slightly better MPG, IIRC 1 mpg better. If you can afford them both, great, but I think both prices are a little high, since you skipped completing your profile, I.E. LOCATION, I can't frame of reference those prices.

As for the seats, never got better as far as I can remember. Have the Drivers and/or passengers front airbags been completed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I am in San Jose, CA.. not sure if that matters much because I see the same basic pricing all across the United States especially for the newer ones. The 2006 I agree is a bit pricey.

As far as the seats go, I think that the 2006 model is a bit softer and doesnt feel as supportive..

I was also looking at a Sport as well... which as you know, has cloth seats... I wonder if those are any better..

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
I think a big consideration is how long will you keep this new to you RL? If its going to be quite a few years go with the 13. The stock nav is out dated so the updated HU in the 13 should be more pleasant.
I had a RTS with cloth seats and they stained easily, even if water spilled on them. Got the SE now with leather but they have never seen the light of day as I got covers. It seems to take me a few miles to get my butt comfortable in any vehicle I drive. I haven't noticed much difference between my RTS and SE for comfort. I like the upright seating position. Some on here had problems with the driver seat sagging near the door, from sliding in and out I guess?
Lastly there is a lot to be said for a vehicle with some warranty left in it.
Good Luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
That's huge price difference. You have a lot of different options with a price range like that. Research the forums a little if you're so inclined. In the '06 I'd ask if the radiator has been changed, and, if not, include having it changed in your OTD estimate. There's a common issue with them that can lead to expensive fixes. Other than that, you've made them both sound like pretty nice vehicles.

The outside of my driver seat ('08 RTL) is a bit smashed. 8 years old, 91k and I'm only a 175lb guy. Flaw? Eh. I had a '07 RTX before this and it wasn't smashed (traded it with 54k). But as for comfort, my RL is one of the more comfortable vehicles I've owned...and I've owned over 40 vehicles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yah, I agree.. it IS a huge price difference... And there in lies the point.. Over the years, I have learned that everyone drives a used car.. After 4-5 months, you get used to whatever you are driving and theres not much difference. It is a 2nd vehicle.. and there is a certain pleasure of getting a good value. at most I would put on about 12K miles a year. The navigation IS outdated. BUT you can get a 2016 DVD and update it. Not a deal breaker anyways.. besides my Jetta's sound system is over 2500 dollars and thats what I would put in the RL.. The '13 already has a smoking system.. just needs my JL twin 8 subs to really make it sing.

I dunno, its a tough decision.

Also, I can actually get new foam and a new green two tone leather seat cover to replace whats in the 16..

One other thing.. The heated seats were on HI in the 2006 and I barely knew they were on... Whats up with that? Another issue?

Thanks for the information and advice... Keep it comin'!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Also, I can actually get new foam and a new green two tone leather seat cover to replace whats in the 16..

One other thing.. The heated seats were on HI in the 2006 and I barely knew they were on... Whats up with that? Another issue?

Thanks for the information and advice... Keep it comin'!
When my seat heater is on high my butt sweats. Takes a couple minutes to warm up, though.

And FWIW, replacing seat cushions can be pretty time consuming and tedious. But obviously it's doable.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I owned an 06 and a 13 RTL (and also an 09) and all three of them were great. One thing that seems strange to me is the 13 you're looking at with $19K miles sounds overpriced. I paid less than that for my 13 new. That being said, if you can afford the 13 that's the way I'd go. Personally if I were going to spend $32K on a used vehicle, particularly one that's been completely redesigned, I'd look at new alternatives (like a lower end more base model of the generation 2, including FWD instead of AWD since presumably you won't need AWD in San Jose)... unless you really need all of the RTL features.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
SJ is not that far from ski resorts. I'd think twice about a FWD only vehicle if you ever head into the mountains in winter.

Mammouth mountain (iirc):

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my son made a very good point... he asked if the '13 was a 17K dollar better than the '06... Not even close I said. True both of them are over priced but the '06 will hurt me less by costing me way less.. The physical condition of both of them are virtually identical

Mechanically I'm thinking they are on paper, the same insofar as durability and reliability..

I dunno... heavily leaning towards the 2006 now..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 2011 RTL with 89k, a roof rack, running boards and hard tonneau for 19995.94 out the door. The actual price of the truck was 18.5k on the purchase agreement, which was a solid 4k less than they were asking. Not a spot of rust and the interior is real clean and leather looks great. Not a bad deal for Vermont.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
It's a second vehicle. If you were replacing your daily driver, I would say the 13 for sure. However, the 06 will treat you just as well. The 09 update was nice. If I were you, I would keep shopping. If you're patient and can wait a little bit, the 2nd gen models will cause the 1st gens to drop in price in a few months. Then, you could find an 09 or newer RTL for under $20k. Don't be afraid of mileage if all maintenance has been done. Even well-maintained 07 and 08 models are great. If you find an 09+ model with right around 100k miles that has had the timing belt service done already, you're golden.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts