Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time we get a new car something happens in less than 30 days. Wife backed up into something... she did the same with my F150 when it was new. I don't think she knows how to use the side mirrors but not going to go there....no way. Got to repair the tail gate and paint it and the bumper cover. Could have been worse. Oh well... should have gotten the back up cam. It would have been cheeper! :(

·
Registered
964 Posts
Ridgeline-Fla said:
Every time we get a new car something happens in less than 30 days. Wife backed up into something... she did the same with my F150 when it was new. I don't think she knows how to use the side mirrors but not going to go there....no way. Got to repair the tail gate and paint it and the bumper cover. Could have been worse. Oh well... should have gotten the back up cam. It would have been cheeper! :(
I think one of the problems with the RL is it is difficult to tell how far back the back of the truck is. I think someone else had a similar problem. I hit my back bumper Thurs night :( Just a little chip out of it, I think it will be fixable with touch up paint though.

Hope it doesn't cost much to get it all fixed :(

·
Registered
626 Posts
I gotta say, the rear-view camera really rocks. Maybe people who don't have it/don't have Nav to install it should consider an after-market one (it will probably be less expensive anyway), especially if they have trouble judging the length of the back (I'll admit, it's very hard -- that's why I got the camera!).

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
MountainRidge said:
How well does the camera work in low light or no light?
The camera is AWESOME in low light. Check out this thread for pics I posted that show the wide angle aspect of the camera and the night illumination. The back up lights provide plenty to see very well.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I didn't see Truckin's link to the thread he mentioned (I'll blame it on Firefox for now), but in answer to your question, the back-up camera works just dandy in low or no light -- because it always has the reverse light! You get a halo effect with the reverse light at night or in covered garages, but nothing that interferes with what you're doing -- you just wouldn't want to get a halo like that on, say, your TV at home, cuz that would suck.

I get such a nice, clear, wide view behind me that aside from a quick initial check over both shoulders to make sure nothing's coming fast, I just use the back-up camera. Of course, this depends entirely on the situation -- that's for work and home, which are both not very crowded. For more active parking lots, I'd probably still use a combination of things, just cuz I'd still be paranoid about someone moving quickly into my camera's line of sight.

I have to take my RL back in on Tuesday to fix the air bag sensor. My better half argues that I should force them to come down to our house (in a pretty whacky location in Topanga Canyon) to drop off a rental and pick up the RL, because it's *their* fault we have to take it back in. I would argue that I don't want to piss off the people who are going to have my baby's dash all ripped open... :) So, I still haven't decided what I'm going to do... sucks to have to take it back in, tho'...

·
Registered
993 Posts
flymuck said:
I would argue that I don't want to piss off the people who are going to have my baby's dash all ripped open... :) So, I still haven't decided what I'm going to do... sucks to have to take it back in, tho'...
I think your wise. I'm not rude to my waitress who brings me my food from areas that are beyond my view, and I'm very nice to my mechanic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My wife said "you didnt need another truck plus wheels." I said "well dearie you dont need those extra shoes do you?" (@least 2 or more @$600 each). For that much I could easily add rear cam. Not to worry Ridgefla- could be worse. Give her some love cause she makes your life fulfilling. Let us know when its fixed, ok?

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Ridgeline-Fla said:
I feel for you man. I will admit that even for a former school bus driver, the tapered rear end of our Ridgelines don't give you a true sense of how close you are to a low object to the rear of your truck. The rear view camera is a done deal in February 06!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts