Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cascade Mountains cruising at 60 MPH on Interstate 90 at Midnight in the rain...in the dark.
A semi truck ahead of me had a blowout and deposited an "invisible" rubber recap onto the roadway directly in front of me.
No time to swerve or slow down so I just held on tight and drove directly over this stupid thing that was definitely taller than my undercarriage.
Ridgeline was tough, stayed in a straight line, bounded up and over and did not falter.
I pulled off onto the shoulder, and checked everything I could see from the ground with a flashlight.
No sign of damages, just some black rubber shavings on the protruding brackets and scruff marks on the skid plate near the back end / gas tank area.
Drove another 60 miles home with no problems.

Next day it developed a "scraping" noise from under the right front end upon take off up until 3 to 5 mph...then it goes away.
Have inspected all the shafts and boots and suspension parts and nothing is bent or leaking, no clicking noises, smooth steering from lock to lock.
Could this be some foreign matter stuck in the brake assembly? calipers and disc?
What would you to to diagnose and repair ?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I've never understood why recaps are allowed on public highways. The argument is that they are cheaper, but that doesn't hold water in the long run. They are also very dangerous, and cause untold numbers of accidents and damage to passenger vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Next day it developed a "scraping" noise from under the right front end upon take off up until 3 to 5 mph...then it goes away.
Have inspected all the shafts and boots and suspension parts and nothing is bent or leaking, no clicking noises, smooth steering from lock to lock.
Could this be some foreign matter stuck in the brake assembly? calipers and disc?
What would you to to diagnose and repair ?
Take off the wheel, caliper & rotor. Sometimes you get things stuck between the rotor and the dust shield.
Also inspect if the wheel-well liner is loose in any place.
If you do not find anything, have someone else drive the truck as you inspect it from outside. Lot of times, behind the wheel, the sound seems to come from areas that fool the ears.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Sounds like the dust/splash shield is bent and rubbing the rotor. Jack up that tire and spin by hand. If you hear the rubbing sound stop the wheel about where the rubbing starts and then check where the shield is scraping. It's thin metal and with a pair of gloves you may be able to grab the shield and bend it out so it doesn't rub anymore.

Happened to mine several times and I was able to just bend the splash shield out of the way.

·
Registered
724 Posts
…. rubber recap onto the roadway directly in front of me ….
In Texas (maybe other places) those are known as "alligators"; and yeah, like the animal, can do a lot of damage if tangled-with.

Good luck with your diagnosis, hope it's not too expensive to mend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PROBLEM SOLVED ! HAUNTED SCRAPING DEMON NOISES EXORCISED!
Thanks for all the replies....after checking the front suspension, the brake rotors, brake rotor shields and everything suggested....I looked all around and down the drive shaft and exhaust system and discovered that the Front "Stirrup" DriveShaft "protector" was BENT like a pretzel and was rubbing (alternately) on the driveshaft and the exhaust system making all kinds of weird scraping noises....easy fix with a big hammer, just banged it back into position as best as I could - not pretty, but it works. Moral of the Story ? Do NOT run over SEMI TIRES...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts