Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of my Ridge on the beach at Okracoke Island. Thanks to all the threads about disabling the VSA sensor. Aired down to 18 psi and pulled the 20 amp sensor fuse in the driver side under-hood fuse block. The dash WILL light up like a Christmas tree while the fuse is out. Drove great in soft sand, but picked up a lot of sand in under carriage due to low ground clearance. Normally you would follow the ruts made by other drivers, but the Ridge did better on native sand. I had a front mount rod rack on my 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but couldn't figure out how to put one on the Ridge without lowering clearance even more, so I fabricated the bed mount unit that worked great. I'm having my machine shop fabricate a side rail system for the Ridge, with removable rod rack and ladder/lumber rack - would like to know if anyone else would be interested in such a setup. I've got my engineers working on the prototype design, to use bed mount bolts and not to drill into bed to install. Will post when ready.

My wife jokingly calls the Ridge my 'Sissy Truck', because I didn't buy the macho Silverado that I thought I wanted. The more I drive it, the better the Ridge decision seems. Now SHE wants to drive the Ridge too.......

Attachments

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Very nice pictures.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Hi sportcase, Welcome to the ROC. Great photos of your fishing pole rig. Beast wishes for the holidays and good luck fishing too.:)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
sportcase said:
. I'm having my machine shop fabricate a side rail system for the Ridge, with removable rod rack and ladder/lumber rack - would like to know if anyone else would be interested in such a setup. I've got my engineers working on the prototype design, to use bed mount bolts and not to drill into bed to install. Will post when ready.
Enjoyed the pics. I glad to know we have a machinist ROC member. I worked many years for goverment contractors doing prototype machine work, planning, scheduling, and supervising. Always enjoyed the work. Give us some fish pics next time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did you happen to try driving the Ridge without pulling the fuses? If so, how did you do? We spend alot of time on the beaches in Frisco and have not yet had this truck down there yet.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Nice trolling setup. :D

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I too am interested why you felt need to pull fuse? You can shut the feature off from the console switch.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
BillB said:
I too am interested why you felt need to pull fuse? You can shut the feature off from the console switch.
Geat pictures.
Steel/Blue sure blends well with the surrounding scenery.

BillB, I don't think turning off the VSA switch does any good off pavement at low speeds. Have to pull the fuse.
There is good info on this topic somewhere under "Off-Roading"

Most of the discussion on this topic is here:http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2871

·
Registered
953 Posts
JOZ RIDG said:
Geat pictures.
Steel/Blue sure blends well with the surrounding scenery.

BillB, I don't think turning off the VAS switch does any good off pavement at low speeds. Have to pull the fuse.
There is good info on this topic somewhere under "Off-Roading"
I don't have experience but it has been posted that if the TPM sensors detect low air pressure the VSA off switch does not work, so you pull the fuse to fully disable.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Great post! Really like the rod setup.
Your post brought back a lot of good memories from our trip to Cape Hatteras this summer. Like yours, our RL did great on the beach. It's true about the low tire pressure turning on the VSA even though you've turned it off at the switch. We did use the VTM lock and just kept it slow. I know what you mean about those deep ruts. I drove in them when I could. Had to cross a bunch near the ramps and that gave us a touch of rock and roll! The RL just kept moving though.
Boy, I want to go back to the Outer Banks now :) That place just has a way of draining all the stress away.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanx for posting the pics, my in-laws used to live in Elizabeth City and I always enjoyed going to the Outer Banks. Too bad the RL doesn't have a TPMS override switch so it wouldn't complain and force the VSA to be on when you lower the tire pressure for the sand.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Great Pics,,,, background choice was great too... Now I don't have to post pic of mine as it is identical to yours:) Double thanks..;)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I forgot about the switch not working with reduced Air pressure, that was the answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Oh man, I wanna go there NOW!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Loved the pics! I fish Montauk Point NY,very similar beach conditions as the Outer Banks.I also had a Grand Cherokee prior to the Ridge and obviously we're not going to chase the fish like the jeep could but all in all I'm pretty happy.Haven't had to air down yet so I'll have to check the threads on fuse and sensor situation.I have the bed cover so I went with a front rod rack that mounts behind the license plate.Drilled through the steel beam behind the bumper,(burnt out alot of bits-tuff stuff) and beefed it up with with another bracket I fabricated and attached to a bolt I found behind the grille. Works great carrying 10 and 12' sticks. Check out The Surfcaster.Com for the rack and bracket. Tight lines and good fishing!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Could you post some pix of your mounting mod? I have a Retrax bed cover on mine and am contemplating making the same mount for my rack.

Chris P said:
SNIP I have the bed cover so I went with a front rod rack that mounts behind the license plate.Drilled through the steel beam behind the bumper,(burnt out alot of bits-tuff stuff) and beefed it up with with another bracket I fabricated and attached to a bolt I found behind the grille. Works great carrying 10 and 12' sticks. Check out The Surfcaster.Com for the rack and bracket. Tight lines and good fishing!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts