Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, first off let me make it clear that it is my opinion that the Ridge is not overpriced. I paid $25,500 (w/ dest but minus tax,title,etc) for my RT, which is the base model I know, but comes with a lot of features. Just to compare, a 4wd crew cab Tacoma would have cost at least $26,500-27,500, Frontier crew cab 4WD SE model about $24,000-25,000. So keeping these numbers in mind, and not forgetting that the Ridge is much roomier, I don't think the Ridge is over priced, heck an RTS can be found for about $27,500. And realistically the RTS is pretty much fully loaded minus the leather, sunroof, or navi, and these items really are luxuries.

So...if the president of Honda (or whomever from Honda) allegedlly stated that the Ridgeline was over-priced, why is it over-priced?

There may be more reasons, but the only two that I can think of right now, and that seem valid to me are...

#1) Honda marked up the price to a higher premium because they thought that they would sell like hotcakes, and wanted to make more money off the trucks?

#2) They packed in a lot of technology and added features, making a solid truck which cost them more money to make, thus passing on the higher price (which is normal, we can't expect anyone to lose money) to the consumer?

I personally think #2 is the reason for the price of the Ridgeline. What do you all think?

And *if* Honda thinks the price is too high on the Ridge, what are they going to change? Less features on the models, poorer quality, a lower trim level than the RT, rebates? I don't know what the answer(s) are, but I thought this would make for a good discussion.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had no problem with the price because I thought it was worth it. It's a high quality vehicle with many features not found on other's trucks.

I think the comment is just what he's been hearing from consumers who don't understand the differences or who can't afford the Honda.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It is a good truck and it is worth it.

They set the price of the truck based on the market for trucks. The market for trucks has fallen.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Since they are at invoice now, they are not too far out of whack. I just think that if you put a 6 cyl truck out (I bought the rtl moonroof/nav) for over 35,000 you include the tow hitch and roof racks. That is another grand. Anyway, when they priced it the market was pretty hot. When it was released the market took a dump and price was everything to most buyers. Let's face it, we paid a lot but are all happy :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honda has acknowledged that the vehicle is overpriced, and they don't say that lightly, or without a consumer/market survey. To say that it is overpriced is not in this case to evaluate what one gets for the money, or quality, or anything else inherent in the truck itself. It simply means that the anticipated target consumer decided to not pay that much for it, either because he just didn't like the price for a pickup truck or because he decided to pay less for a competitor's vehicle. Honda has to figure out why and respond, if it can. Also, makets change week to week and month to month, look at how gas prices have changed in the past few months, and what they are predicted to do in the next few years. Consumers are just beginning to respond, so car makers must respond also, week to week and month to month, or they're not going to be in business.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another point, it may be that what's not selling well are the high-end RTl with navi and moonroof. That's mostly what I see sitting on lots as I check them out. It may be that the overpriced part is for those vehicles and that Honda miscalculated how many truck drivers/mulch haulers want to pay for a navi to go from home to Home Depot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
In NJ it doesn't seem to be that way. When shopping I stopped in the local dealer and they didn't have any with Nav. Another local dealer advertised having 19 in stock and guess what? Not one with Nav.
Guess it could be that we live in a congested area with so many roads.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The question of being over priced is simply a perception problem.
Ever notice how a lot of companies advertise "starting at xx,xxx"?
The issue centers around marketing. Other makes throws out "truck xyz for $17,000". When you show up, they say "yeah that's the 2 dr, 4 cylinder, manual transmission model..." want power windows, $, want 4wd, $, want Auto tranny $, want extended cab $...

Honda traditionally has been accused of being "over priced". The main reason is they don't offer that much factory options. They give you 3 main trim level. They don't offer you a bare bone, and let you add. There are benefits to Honda's way of doing it. 1) saves money on their part, so they can produce cars that they can control. 2) saves me headache as a buyer... ever try to buy a Big 3 truck? 4 different differential option, 7 body style, 3 different transmission, 3 different engine, 4 different radio option, want 4X4, ok wil some of those other options don't apply any more.

·
Registered
348 Posts
No "Relative" Base Model

The problem is that Honda had to go with a four wheel drive platform unlike the competitors who also offer two wheel drive versions.

Honda has no rear-wheel drive platform to use for the Ridgeline. This adds cost. I think some try to compare the base price of 2X4 competitors to the Ridgeline.

For a similarly equipped alternative, the price is competitive (excepting the Chevy Colorado which scores very low in the ratings and really should not be compared).

A lower priced RWD Ridgeline would stimulate sales of all model lines. I saw this happen when I bought a Cayenne S before the base Cayenne V-6 appeared. First, there were a lot more V-6 models sold followed by increased sales V-8 S model.

IMHO, I also do not understand Honda's advertising strategy which seems to always show the vehicle heading out over some dirt road with motorcycles in the back.

What I can gather from the posts on this board and other places, most bought the vehicle because it is a good blend of practical space for a family, with a trunk and also can handle the odd jobs of hauling things when needed.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
First let me say when I was shopping for a truck the Colorado came in 2nd on my list behind the Ridgeline (it wasn't a close second mind you) and I tested the Colorado, Frontier, Ranger (well not really but I did drive on before I bought the Ridgeline), Tacoma and looked at the two Dodge offerings but didn't test them because I wasn't impressed at all. The Colorado is a nice little truck, it isn't as refined as some of the competition but the price is well suited to its feature set.

As to the Ridgeline, my wife would agree, that Ridgeline is cost competitive with the competition. It is definitely hard to see that, but the base model Ridgeline has many of the features that even the high end version of the competition doesn't have without added expense. When we took features we absolutely wanted in the truck and set out all the trucks in a row and figure the cost for those features the Ridgeline was right there with the rest of them. And to top it off, these were all integrated features for the most part other than the trailer package and the roof rack. And to add on top of that, I ended up with another Honda which has been a good brand for me so far so I figure another would be good as well and so far I haven't been disappointed in the least. I really didn't want to start fishing out there with a Toyota, or Nissan added to the brands I have driven, I was willing to go with the Chevy as my first car ever was a Chevy (so was my second car if you want to count my real first car which I owned for less than a month).

My wife likes the Ridgeline almost as much as I do, which is rather unusual for her. Although she still keeps me grounded and makes sure I drive her car most of the time due to insane gas prices.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Overpriced depends on what you are going to use it for.

in my case (a Realtor) I was attracted to the Ridgeline because it was a Honda, had a trunk for Realtor signs, and seated 4.

However, I didn't need a lot of the other features.

After discussing it for a long time, I went with a luxury level car - a Hyundai XG350. Price was the deciding factor. The Hyundai has every electronic toy you could want, is about the same size as a Lincoln LS, and has a 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I bought it during the "employee pricing" deals for $22,000 - with everything toy you could get on it. I spent another 100 on bluetooth car kit for my cell phone, and another $1100 for a Pioneer GPS system.

Do I wish I had a Ridgeline? Yes. But when you are talking about a $10,000-$15000 difference in prices, Its just not something I can justify.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm a mortgage broker, Finally a level headed Realtor (don't say my name!) right car for the right job... what no 4 runner or escalade or mercedes?.. The ridge would have impressed your buyers and sellers a bit more. Every little bit helps in your feild. tough job, good luck! oops forgot say also an attorney.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It was not to long ago A lively discussion took place about the merit of wearing your seat belt. How can we put a price on safety? You can spend $15,000 in your first 5 min. in the E.R. We can talk all day about the differences in the cool features of our truck vs. others (and I do! :D ) but did we pay to much for the 1ST truck to to earn NHTSA's 5 star rating for safety? I think not....nor do my passengers :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
With all the extras on my RTL S/R w Nav like: bumper trim, roof racks, rear mud flaps, running boards, silver dash trim, tow package the sticker price was a little over $38,000. I got it for $31,449 and the vehicle I traded was an '03 Altima in which I owed as much as it was worth in trade-in value. I feel that the price was too good to pass up. I have never loved a vehicle this much. I get excited every time I get in the beauty.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When all is said and done, a used old reliable station wagon pulling a homemade trailer is probably the best deal out there. When comparing by price these are always left out of the mix.

The more you drive the truck the more you know what it is that you paid for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
justdeefire said:
With all the extras on my RTL S/R w Nav like: bumper trim, roof racks, rear mud flaps, running boards, silver dash trim, tow package the sticker price was a little over $38,000. I got it for $31,449 and the vehicle I traded was an '03 Altima in which I owed as much as it was worth in trade-in value. I feel that the price was too good to pass up. I have never loved a vehicle this much. I get excited every time I get in the beauty.
That sounds like a pretty good deal. I'm just starting to shop and everywhere I look they are all offering the RTL at invoice to me. The thing is, is that I would like most of the accessories that you have on yours. Would I be crazy to think that they could throw them in for nothing. I sell houses and in the Dallas market that I'm in, 7K is a lot to take off the price of one of our homes. How did you approach that deal, and do you or anyone else have advice on what to expect within reason. I very much want to avoid a time consuming process. I am aware that many variables exist including market, time of the month, quotas, etc. that will determine a dealers flexibility. Any expert advice sure would be appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts