Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here is my problem.

I turned off the truck and i heard the fans going which i don't normally here especially on a cool day like today.

so when i got home and turned off the truck the fans were going again so i decided to look at the temp gauge and it was almost all the way at the top.

1. when the truck was off only the radiator fan was going (one to the right when facing engine)

2. when i turned the truck on the fan stopped and never turned on again and the temp gauge started to rise again. neither of the fans turned on, so i turned off the truck and the radiator fan turned on again.

3. i didn't try turning on the heater or ac , i should have.

if anyone has some ideas on what could be wrong please share.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
so here is my problem.

I turned off the truck and i heard the fans going which i don't normally here especially on a cool day like today.

so when i got home and turned off the truck the fans were going again so i decided to look at the temp gauge and it was almost all the way at the top.

1. when the truck was off only the radiator fan was going (one to the right when facing engine)

2. when i turned the truck on the fan stopped and never turned on again and the temp gauge started to rise again. neither of the fans turned on, so i turned off the truck and the radiator fan turned on again.

3. i didn't try turning on the heater or ac , i should have.

if anyone has some ideas on what could be wrong please share.
Swap the fan relays to see if it continues in the same mode. If it quits or changes to the other fan, it is likely the relay. Be sure you have full coolant in radiator and the overflow tank. And check the grounds that you can find (I've never looked for them) to be sure they are good/tight. Finally be sure your battery is good. Low or failing battery is notorious for causing all sorts of gremlins.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
If your temp gauge was all the way to the top, you need to check your coolant level (both the reservoir and the radiator itself) ASAP. These aluminum engines do not take kindly to overheating and you can easily warp a head by overheating (amongst other things).

Another possible source is failure of the thermostat. But you need to find out right now what is causing your truck to overheat and not drive it again until you do. Hopefully you haven't damaged anything permanently by driving in an overheated condition.

If in fact you have driven overheated, after correcting the issue, I would want to do at least one oil change if not a couple of them back to back.

Did you get any indication on your display of anything other than the coolant temp near the top of the range?

In my experience, I find the temp gauge normalized such that a normal indication covers a wide range of temps. I've seen something like 160*F-210*F with the needle in a normal position. So I cannot imagine how hot your engine may have been if the needle was near the top of the range.

If you do start the engine from cold, there should be no radiator fan running until it gets hot enough to cycle on. But if you turn on the AC, it should turn on both fans right away.

I had a failure in the wiring harness which took out both radiator fans as well as the HVAC blower. But this doesn't sound anything like my wiring harness issue since 1 or more of your fans operate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fluids are full .
I just switched the radiator fan relay and Ac relay , the fan didn't turn on till car was off again.
There is a fan control relay but I don't have another one like it to test , could it be that on?
I didn't drive that far from when I first noticed the fan went on with car off to when I noticedtne temp gauge .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both fans cycled on when I turned on ac
I had the check engine light on , I didn't drive with till yesterday so I could bring to auto store and check code but the check engine light turned off so I figured it was ok , I didn't drive much at all when check engine light was on

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,335 Posts
If you had the light on, there should be a code stored regardless of whether or not the light is currently on. It would be a good idea to find out what codes have been thrown . . .

The radiator fans certainly serve a purpose but if you are overheating while driving at a steady pace at moderate (or more) speeds then you should be looking elsewhere for your issue(s). The fans are really backup for stop and go driving / idling / operation while the AC is on.

I would look to your coolant level, thermostat, water pump etc.

·
Super Moderator
22,577 Posts
What is the color of your radiator fluid? It should be blue.

Also, if you pull the dipstick on the tranny, what color do you see? (it should be red).
Any froth? Does it smell normal? Or burnt?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I think I figured it out or part of the problem.

There is a coolant temp switch that is near the lower radiator hose part 37870-PNA-003, there is also one near the thermostat and upper hose same part.

I jumped the upper hose one and temp gauge didn't work and I had a bunch of lights on dash that should not have been on so I plugged that back in and temp gauge worked again.

I jumped the lower one and the fans turned on so I went to Honda and ordered the parts I should get by tomorrow $39.58; ebay has them cheap but I think ill go Honda on this part.

I also got a new thermostat as i might have destroyed it with the overheating.

my advice to anyone with and old ridgeline, maybe think on changing this sensor

ill check the engine codes after i fix this.

fluid is blue i didn't check tranny but i did check a few weeks ago and it was ok

·
Super Moderator
22,577 Posts
So are you thinking it was a sensor/gauge error and not an overtemp situation? That would be the best scenario imo. But this the is first report that I recall of that sensor going bad. (not that it can't happen, of course).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it was an overtemp situation , the lower sensor must control when the fans turn on when the truck is running or idle.

the thermostat looks like a pain to change, i may end up changing it when i decided to replace the radiator.

·
Super Moderator
22,577 Posts
Ok. Keep us advised. Hope this works out with little or no issue for you!

·
Super Moderator
22,577 Posts
My plan is to replace the radiator when I do the tb/wp service at 120k miles. That's what I did with the 2006 Pilot.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If it was a sensor problem, you should be able to take it to speed (highway) and it should stay cool no problem. The only way faulty sensors will cause you to overheat is in slow or stopped condition (no air flow when fans don't turn on).

BUT, you're saying your fans are staying on too long........ I'm proposing you have a root problem of engine overheating, and you need to find out what's causing it first and foremost. The other issues seem after the fact indicators to me (symptoms).

You could have a bad radiator, bad thermostat, or collapsed/blocked hose or passageway somewhere; or even a failing water pump. Even an overloaded condition can cause this, but it doesn't sound like you have anything going on that would overload your engine.

Find & fix that root issue & your problems go away.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just changed the thermostat, you think I should fill with distilled water and not Honda anti just incase this doesn't work
and if its ok then get a flush?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,335 Posts
I just changed the thermostat, you think I should fill with distilled water and not Honda anti just incase this doesn't work
and if its ok then get a flush?
I would use new Honda coolant and then collect it an reuse if you still have issues. . .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put that sensor in and it still over heats when idle and fans don't turn on till car is off. Does anyone know which relay controls it ? I may have some air pockets so I'll try and fix that tomorrow. Next step is off to Honda 80 dollars deep already . Would air pockets cause over heating at idle

1 - 20 of 33 Posts