Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the descriptions and instructions are vague. Particularly the information screen.

My window sticker says I have programmable locks but I can't find it anywhere in the manual.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
GRIZ,

How about you update your profile so everyone know's what Year, Make and Model you have. Honda Owners Site, you'll also find the downloadable version of the owners manual far more helpful, as it's a searchable PDF.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Since you have the RTL-T, you have the 8" display screen. Back index, Auto Door Locking/Unlocking... Customize. Page 326 in the manual I have downloaded, but that may be out of date. Could be +/- a few pages.

And, in my manual the instructions on Keyless Access Setup is on page 312 and 313.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since you have the RTL-T, you have the 8" display screen. Back index, Auto Door Locking/Unlocking... Customize. Page 326 in the manual I have downloaded, but that may be out of date. Could be +/- a few pages.

And, in my manual the instructions on Keyless Access Setup is on page 312 and 313.
My bad. RLT AWD

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My bad. RLT AWD
Which means you have the 5" color audio system. Only the "inside" options are user programmable on that model. The instructions for that are similar to the G1, and start on page 121 in my manual. Should be +/- a few pages in the latest copy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd like to require the authors of all car manuals to actually own or drive the car they are going to tell us how to operate for a few weeks before let loose to write a manual. Most engineers (the folks that likely play a major roll in the writing of an automotive manual discussing their creations) have no clue how to write a manual that the ordinary guy, the end user, wants to read.

Ever notice that most forum members (non professional manual writers) can pass on or answer questions on how to use all the features of our vehicles, not to mention a few user tips, that make far more sense to the end user than what's floating about in a professionally written manual?

If all the [legal] boilerplate that makes up the majority of pages in today's car manuals were put into a separate booklet labeled 'Legal' I'd bet that few would ever open it. A boilerplate free and much less bulky manual would now be a very detailed 'quick setup' type booklet that people would want to use. Put instructions in these new streamlined manuals in a logical order so we don't need to go back and forth between pages 4 and 21 to figure out how to use a feature we are trying to get information on.

I know manufactures are trying to save money but there really is no cost difference between an owners manual that discusses mechanical or electronic options that might not be on a vehicle as it rolls off the assembly line. The shipped owners manual could easily be coded directly into the build. That would have been costly and impractical back in the days when you could 'cherry pick' options but shouldn't be to difficult today as most options are part of a trim or group package. Why waste space in a manual describing all the things you didn't order or get?

Sargent Joe Friday (TV series 'Dragnet') got it right years ago when questioning a crime scene witness when he would say to the witness, "the facts mam/sir, just the facts." I'd bet Joe Friday would be able to write a great and useful owners manual that the average car owner would read and refer to.

Anyone think that the authors of cell phone, consumer electronic manuals and authors of car manuals might be the same people
:surprise: :wink:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Isn't that what the 85 page Honda Guide in your glove box is (and online) versus the DVD/online 609 page Honda Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
105 Posts
With a bit of thoughtful editing I bet those 85 pages could be trimmed even more. Better yet, keep it at 85 pages but include more descriptive pictures. "Pictures are worth a thousand words". I've viewed a few really informative YouTube video revues of the new Ridgeline that were shot by people that speak well and know how to hold a camera steady. Video reviews like those can be a big help in making the operation of the new Ridgeline almost familiar. Owner information supplied by forum members certainly fills in any gaps left by the 'chunky' manual and the video reviews.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts