Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 RTL had the engine check light come on at 51K miles and threw 3 OBD II codes: P0137, P0138, and P2270 - which indicate a faulty O2 sensor: Bank 1, Sensor 2.

Is the location of that sensor after the catalytic converter coming off the manifold in the back of the engine? If so, it looks like that sensor is really hard to get to.

I haven't been able to confirm which manifold/exhaust is bank 1. Is it the back one?

Also, at the Honda dealership, the part costs about $320, yet online, it looks like they can be found for about $60. Is that possible?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Excellent HONDA parts diagrams and part numbers can be found at www.hondapartsdeals.com.

Those parts diagrams are almost as handy as owning the proper service manual, and it's FREE.

Yes, parts are much cheaper online.

Take it slow and do your homework before shelling out coin.

:act024:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, here is the scoop:

Bank 1 Sensor 1 : Sensor on top of back manifold, pre-catalytic converter
Bank 1 Sensor 2: Sensor on back manifold, after-catalytic converter
Bank 2 Sensor 1: Sensor on top of front manifold, pre-catalytic converter
Bank 2 Sensor 2: Sensor on front manifold, after-catalytic converter

I think the only difference between the two after-cat sensors is the length of the cable. My Honda dealer wants $315 for the part, and I can get it directly on Amazon.com for $64. Will post how it goes.

-Bruce

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the same info from the Advance Auto guy, he cleared the code and it has not come back on yet (120,000mi). I read that if you always use cheap gas that can cause as well, I am going to use the Shell or Chevron a while and see what happens. The big difference in parts prices on O2 Sensors I see is that the ones with the plug attached are the expensive ones the others you have to wire the plug yourself. If I still need to replace I am using bosch or denso, also I have read that the rear sensors are only checking on the front sensors and you normally do not need to replace those anyone else hear that or have info? Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one I bought from Amazon for $64 (Walker p/n 250-24391) did have a plug on it to fit the Ridgeline. When I pulled the old O2 sensor off, the sensor end rattled like a broken lightbulb so I'm sure it was defective. I put in the new sensor, cleared the codes and I haven't seen the check engine light come back since (in a couple hundred miles). I just passed the state inspection today.

The original quote from the Honda dealer for parts and labor to replace the sensor was $500 (When I balked at the parts price they subsequently lowered it to $415). It was well worth the effort to buy the $12 oxygen sensor socket, $64 sensor and do the job myself. The new sensor even came with replacement tie-wraps and high temp anti-sieze compound. The hardest part was removing the old tie-wraps and putting in the new ones in place to hold the cable on the back side of the engine.

·
Registered
637 Posts
....... also I have read that the rear sensors are only checking on the front sensors and you normally do not need to replace those anyone else hear that or have info?
By comparing the O2 content of the secondary O2 sensor to the O2 content of the primary sensor, the computer checks to make sure the cat is burning the bad stuff correctly. If the results show little difference, a 'bad cat' code is generated.

That's why people believe the (un-named shop) diagnosis that says "you need a new cat, sir" but it's often just one of the sensors has gotten old or lazy. That's when your fire up the forum's search engine and look for keyword phrases like 'diagnose catalytic' or 'replace catalytic' or 'dealer trying to %#@& me' to see how other members figured it out for cheap.

HINT: with a V-6 you sometimes swap a sensor from one side to another and see if your other cat suddenly takes ill....

:act014:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I may be wrong but the sensor may qualify under the Federal Emission warranty which covers emission control items for 7yr/70K warranty. Look in the warranty booklet. :act002:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts