Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Got a 2006 with the engine light on and code P0420. Bought a few months ago...has $130k miles. Mechanic has quoted $900 for a new catalytic.

I am not a mechanic... but am handy, have tools, just replaced both front struts myself. Yay me! Haha

Looking for advice on how to do this myself. Any help greatly appreciated... I dont have a lift. Just 2 jack stands. I did read on another post that this can be done from above the engine with the hood tied all the way back.

Which of the 3 cats is P0420?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's the cat on the rear bank. I'll be doing one on a Pilot next weekend and I expect it to be tight without a lift.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I’ve read the same about the cat not necessarily being at fault.

What’s your altitude?

Last year when I took the family out west with our camper, I got a PO420 when we were in Colorado...as soon as we came down out of the mountains, the code went away...oxygen deprivation seemed to trigger the code...

It could be I have o2 sensors that are ready for replacement but since the lights been off, I haven’t paid it any mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any of you all have a diagram of which cat the P0420 code is?

What is Bank 2 and what is Rear Bank?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the stuff I see online says Bank 2 is on the front side of the engine. What am I missing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bank 1 is the firewall side #1 #2 #3 cylinders. Bank 2 is the radiator side #4 #5 #6 cylinders.
Bank 1 sensor 1 is on top next to the fire wall. Bank 1 sensor 2 is under the truck next to the firewall.
Bank 2 sensor 1 is on top next to the radiator. Bank 2 sensor 2 is under the truck next to the radiator.
The p0420 is "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold"
The P0420 code in a Honda Ridgeline will often be thrown one of your oxygen sensors are not functioning properly. Typically, the code will be triggered by the upstream oxygen sensor (before the converter). Either Bank 1 or 2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you! So each bank (set of 3 cylinders) has it's own catalytic? And then I'm guessing the 3rd cat is the horizontal one in the exhaust pipe and is a "master" cat? Am I close?

Would you replace the sensor first to see if that's the issue? I've had 2 mechanics tell me 2 different things. I was quote $1100 and $900. If I can buy the thing for a couple hundred and figure out how to do it I'll save a ton.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm sorry if my information caused confusion. I admit I did not look up which bank is which, and I should have. My daughter has an '06 Pilot with P0420 and after testing all O2 sensors and the first 2 cats, it is the cat for the rear bank that needs to be replaced. Based on that, I made a bad assumption and now get to feel like an a$$.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nick,
I have an '08 with 133K and was tripping the O2 codes, infrequently over the past 2 years, but more recently all the time and with performance noticeably down (hesitation on acceleration and lower MPG) I decided it was time! New sensors all around, running great again! Definitely do them in pairs, that is Bank1 upstream/downstream, then Bank 2 up/down. Yes, read, read, read all you can (I did) to see what others say and how to do the replacement. The back two pictured (firewall side) are a B w/o a lift, but can be done. The front are easy! The NTK are the OEMs Honda uses.
P8180495.JPG
P8180499.JPG

·
Registered
94 Posts
^^^^^^THIS!!^^^^^^

I just did my O2 sensors about a month ago. I was getting the same code you are, as well as a lean condition code. I dropped a couple hundred dollars at Rock Auto on the same sensors as above and replaced them all. Problem solved with one exception.... The lean condition may have also been caused by a small split in my intake tube that I found while working. That got replaced in the subsequent week while I got by with a wrap of gorilla tape. The sensors above are the OE ones, just not "Honda" branded. You'll save $$ buying under the NTK part numbers.

If I were a betting man, I'd lean away from your cats and do the oxygen sensors. If you want to get in as cheap as possible, that front bank O2 sensor is the easiest one to get to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts