Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently got my 06 Ridgeline with 85k miles. It has thrown a p0420 code 6 times. It goes off every time I fill up my tank from near empty. It could be a coincidence but I find it odd it only happens when I fill up my tank with gas. Happens with any grade of gas too.

If this problem has always been posted on already can someone post a link. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
I have a similar issue on my 2006 Pilot with 129k miles. It randomly kicks out a P0420 code. I simply reset it and keep on driving. If I leave it on long enough, it resets itself.

I'm told it's a catalytic converter. I think it might be an O2 sensor. I don't plan to do anything about it as long as I'm able to clear it.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Changing the O2 sensor(s) will _probably_ eliminate the code. There is, however, some question as to whether engine operating conditions would have caused the O2 sensor to fail earlier than it would if the engine was operating 'ideally.' And, of course, it could really be the catalyst. If it is, I would also wonder why it had failed so soon (in terms of miles).

If I felt confident of doing the job myself, I'd change out sensors. If I did not, I guess I'd weigh the cost of a shop changing them vs. how much irritation I felt at seeing the code all the time. You must live in a place that does not require emissions checks, else I suppose they'd try to force you to make repairs?

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
If that was to me bulwnkl, then I suspect that NC would force me to fix it if the code shows at inspection time. But so far I've been able to clear it and drive enough before inspection for it to not to be a problem.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Speed: cool. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
What is says is: Use an IR thermometer. If the exit side of the catalyst is _not_ hotter than the intake side, the cat isn't working right. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
OK. I finally took time to watch that video. Very informative (thanks Ridged). I'm out of town at the moment but have the Pilot with me so I went out, got it good and warm, ran the RPM between 2000-2500 and cranked up my TP app. I saw O2 bank1 and O2 bank2 sensor readings.

Basically, with no load on the engine, both readings were pretty steady in the 0.6v +/- 0.1v range. If I have the AC on and the compressor cycles on, it can induce a pretty good swing in both O1 and O2 voltages. But as I read this video, I should see a steady O2 and a widely fluctuating O1 reading.

I don't have my IR gun with me, but need to put the Pilot up on jackstands and run this again. Fortunately, it's got about 10% on the MM and I'll need to do a service on it within the next 10 days or so. I hope to have time to run it again and check the temp readings on the inlet and outlet side of the CCs.

I think it might be tough to hit those junctions with my IR gun for bank 1 and bank 2, but the underfloor CC should be a bit easier to get a good reading on. Maybe that's the only one that matters.

But initially, it sorta looks like my O2 sensors may be suspect.

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
Doggone it. I had to service the Pilot yesterday and totally forgot to check this. Rats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is, however, some question as to whether engine operating conditions would have caused the O2 sensor to fail earlier than it would if the engine was operating 'ideally.'?
I'm curious what you mean with ideal engine operating conditions. Are you talking about external factors or internal factors?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Internal, I suppose I'd say. For example:
If your engine is using oil, and putting that down the exhaust, the oil residue may have an adverse effect on the O2 sensor (not to mention the catalyst itself).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts