Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Administrator
24,843 Posts
Faulty purge or vent valve or related wiring
Faulty pressure sensor or related wiring
Canister is saturated with fuel (Do you continue adding fuel after the pump automatically shuts off?)

One thing that can't cause this code is a faulty gas cap. A leaking gas cap will cause a "CHECK FUEL CAP" message and set a code for leak detected. P0497 doesn't mean there is a leak - it means there is a buildup of pressure when there shouldn't be.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
Faulty purge or vent valve or related wiring
Faulty pressure sensor or related wiring
Canister is saturated with fuel (Do you continue adding fuel after the pump automatically shuts off?)

One thing that can't cause this code is a faulty gas cap. A leaking gas cap will cause a "CHECK FUEL CAP" message and set a code for leak detected. P0497 doesn't mean there is a leak - it means there is a buildup of pressure when there shouldn't be.
I'm a prime candidate for having the canister soaked with fuel. But I've never seen this error code on either the RL or the Pilot.
Frank, I deleted your other thread on the same issue. Please don't post multiple threads about the same issue.

Thanks!

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts

· Administrator
24,843 Posts
Diagnosis of a P0497 EVAP System Low Purge Flow Detected diagnostic trouble code requires a vacuum gauge, handheld vacuum pump, and an HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) to perform an EVAP function test and to command the EVAP Purge Control Solenoid on and off during various parts of the diagnostic routine. The quickest, cheapest, and most effective way to solve this problem is to pay a Honda dealer an hour or two for labor to diagnose the problem for you then you can buy the part and install it yourself if you don't want to pay repair labor. You've apparently been dealing with this for a month now and unnecessarily throwing money at parts. Just go to the dealer already. :)

· Administrator
24,843 Posts
My apologies. You said, "changed gas cap still getting error P0497". I thought you mentioned elsewhere that you had changed one of the solenoid valves about a month ago to no avail, but perhaps I'm thinking of someone else. The service manual states that diagnosing this code requires an HDS. Unlike some tests, it does not offer a non-HDS alternative method. Given the initial and ongoing expense of the HDS, you're unlikely to find one outside of a Honda dealer.

Have you seen this thread? Perhaps you can extract some useful information from it.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/71-problems-issues/77154-p0497-under-30-a.html

· Registered
333 Posts
I had this same issue on a few Honda and Acura vehicles.( Not my Ridgeline yet)While I agree to do the test, each time for me,it was the Purge Control Valve. The nice thing is this is an easy part to replace. Good Luck with your fix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.