Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the CEL came on and I scanned a P0847 code: "Trans fluid press sensor/switch B circuit low". Checked fluid, it is clear and doesn't smell burnt.

From a quick search on ROC, it looks like a switch failure. I cleared the code.

I have a small load of cabinets due this morning, need to tow my 2,500 lb trailer about 20 miles today. Would I be putting my transmission in dire peril if I proceeded with my day?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I don't think anyone can say "yes" to this without opening themselves up to liability.

I would drive it to Home Depot and rent their truck to do your towing today. And only if it (H-D) were close to the house.

Chip H.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry Chip, I'm not going to hold anyone else accountable. Just looking for more info on what the actual risk might be.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The switch provides feedback to the computer on the internal pressures of the transmission passages. Worst case I can think of is a inop 2nd gear. The transmission might try a 1st-3rd shift, or it may just not leave 1st (don't know which). Running in 1st for up to 20 miles is not going to do good things to the fluid life, but replacing the switch would likely require a fluid drain anyway. Shifting from 1st to 3rd is going to be hard on the internal clutches. So if you're towing try to do it downhill. ;)

Chip H.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Chip, I promise not to sue you if it grenades! It drives absolutely normally, so we should be okay for this trip. Drove to the gas station and the CEL didn't return.

EDIT: All went fine. Light didn't come back after the delivery.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanks Chip, I promise not to sue you if it grenades! It drives absolutely normally, so we should be okay for this trip. Drove to the gas station and the CEL didn't return.

EDIT: All went fine. Light didn't come back after the delivery.
You may want to consider a drain and fill with the newer DW1 transmission fluid.

You can search DW1 drain and fill on this site to see how to do it three times, to eliminate all of the old fluid.

There may have been some "crud" in your transmission system that caused a solenoid (or something) to hang up or give a false reading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts