Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PE rolling bed cover on my 2000 Tundra. I would love to get one for my Ridgeline so I called the company tech line and they said they do not have anything in the works yet. I may be stuck with the honda cover.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I personally do not like the OEM Honda tonneau cover because 1) it is a permanent installation; 2) Installation requires a considerable amount of drilling and modification to the bed; 3)once installed you only have access to the front half of the bed by crawling into the rear half of the bed and reaching under the front half of the stationary tonneau cover; 4) I have heard that it is not water tight, but I really do not know for certain. Although it looks nice, I think that Honda could have designed a much better product, especially at the price of their product. I researched and found a manufacturer of roll-up tonneau covers that seemed interested in making a version of an existing product for the Ridgeline. I spoke with the owner and he went to his local Honda dealer to check out the Ridgeline. He called back and said that he could make one and expected to have a model sometime in mid April. It looks far easier to install than the Honda product. It allows full use of the bed. It provides a secure lockable cover for the bed. Many people will be able to install it themselves. He did mention that in freezing temperatures, freeze-up can sometimes be an issue but with the slight incline on the Ridgeline, surface water is more likely to drain down the side tracks and out the tailgate than on a conventional horizontal bed. I also want to ask if the cover rattles. That is something that I doubt the Honda cover would do. The company is BAK Industries. Their web site is www.bakliner.com. There is a great installation video at http://www.rollbaktonneaucover.com/home. I will order one as soon as it is available. Just to be clear, although the above may sound like a commercial for them or that I somehow work for them, I can assure you that I do not. I have absolutely nothing to do with BAK industries whatsoever. I simply like what I see and really was impressed with the interest that the owner showed. I also seem to recall that I read a post at another site where someone else followed up and, I believe, that he said that the price was expected to be around $800.00. Hope that this may help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am interested in one as well. However, I live in the Northeast and need to consider freeze-up. If it can hold the weight of snow until it can be scraped off in the morning, then no problem. But if there are places where the water can dam up, then it will freeze and obstruct movement of the top.

Would like to see one in operation to make a judgement.

Maybe someone will eventually design a better more versatile Tonneau cover that can be easily removed as well.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
We do not like the OEM cover either. This rollback seems a great solution to allow more versatile use of the bed. We may just leave it open in winter when we're not likely to be hauling things anyway. The trunk and back seat are adequate for hauling groceries and such.

Please post as soon as anyone gets ahold of one of the 3rd party manufactured tonneaus and let us all know your impressions!

·
Registered
3 Posts
In response to the hard tonneau cover!

Retrax is currently making a cover for the ridgeline and will be available at the end of April.

If you have any sales or tech questions Please feel free to contact Billy at 1-800-206-4070, or you can see the ridgeline cover at www.rolltopcover.com pictures will be available the third week of April.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts