Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently I don’t understand how to use these. I’ve had a manual tranny for 26 years in another truck but these baffle me. Whether in Econ mode or regular mode when I have S mode selected, the transmission will shift up on its own, before I select paddle up. I wondered if it was a powertrain safety item...the computer ensuring RPM doesn’t redline, but it shifts at about 3500 RPM, nowhere near redline.
Thoughts?

·
Administrator
20,050 Posts
In D(drive) mode, the transmission will shift automatically. If you pull a paddle shifter, it will temporarily shift to the selected gear (provided that it won't lug the engine or cause it to redline). The selected gear is temporarily as the transmission will revert to fully automatic operation.

In S(equential) mode, the transmission will shift automatically, but at higher RPMs. If you pull a paddle shifter, it will enter manual mode. In manual mode, the transmission will shift to the selected gear and stay there indefinitely as long as you maintain your current speed. However, once you slow down, the transmission will begin downshifting to prevent staying in a gear that would result in lugging the engine.

In either D or S, holding the right (+) paddle shifter for a few second will return to automatic shifting.

Some people think that paddle shifters will force the transmission into any gear they chose, but the transmission won't let you choose an inappropriate gear that would result in damage. It will either ignore the request, downshift, or upshift as necessary to protect the powertrain.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm kinda like the original 'poster' here. So, if your in the 'paddle' Mode it doesn't shift like a manual transmission? Say you're using the paddles, cruising along at 60 mph, and your speed falls because your going up an incline, steep grade, the transmission will shift down on its own, but won't shift back up to the previous gear as you pick up speed? Is this correct?

·
Administrator
20,050 Posts
So, if your in the 'paddle' Mode it doesn't shift like a manual transmission?
Not exactly. Most manual transmissions will let you shift directly to any gear at any time even if the selected gear is inappropriate (i.e. 6th from a stop or 1st while traveling at highway speeds).

This Ridgeline's 9-speed automatic won't let you manually upshift until you're going fast enough to be in the next higher gear or manually downshift to a gear that would result in overrevving the engine. If you're not, the requested gear number will flash and your request will be ignored.

Say you're using the paddles, cruising along at 60 mph, and your speed falls because your going up an incline, steep grade, the transmission will shift down on its own, but won't shift back up to the previous gear as you pick up speed? Is this correct?
Correct.

If you're cruising along in 9th gear in manual mode, the transmission will downshift as the vehicle slows down. If it comes to a stop, it will downshift to 1st. Once stopped, you can only take off in 1st or 2nd.

Some semi-manually-shiftable automatics will let you upshift at any speed. I remember test driving a 1990 Ford Probe that would let you take off in 4th gear. Naturally, that's not good for the transmission and acceleration was very slow. :)

·
Registered
2021 White Black Edition
19 Posts
I actually find using the paddles in "D" mode useful when in traffic and anticipating merging or passing. Left to it's own, the transmission can take a moment to kick down when you want to accelerate. Instead, I'll pre-select the gear I want when I know I'm about to pass or merge with traffic. Much like I would downshift if I had a manual in preparation for acceleration. I have noticed that when manually downshifting, the transmission will skip two gears with one pull. For example, if it's in D and seventh gear, a pull of the "-" paddle will drop it to fifth.

·
Administrator
20,050 Posts
I have noticed that when manually downshifting, the transmission will skip two gears with one pull. For example, if it's in D and seventh gear, a pull of the "-" paddle will drop it to fifth.
I've never noticed that - mine just downshifts one gear per pull. Are you sure the transmission isn't in a lower gear than you think?

The 9HP can skip one gear when downshifting or upshifting. Honda's 10-speed can skip three gears from 10th to 6th or 7th to 3rd.

Perhaps the switch in your paddle shifter is bouncing which results in multiple downshift requests per pull?

·
Registered
2021 White Black Edition
19 Posts
I've never noticed that - mine just downshifts one gear per pull. Are you sure the transmission isn't in a lower gear than you think?

The 9HP can skip one gear when downshifting or upshifting. Honda's 10-speed can skip three gears from 10th to 6th or 7th to 3rd.

Perhaps the switch in your paddle shifter is bouncing which results in multiple downshift requests per pull?
I'm pretty sure it's skipping. ¯\(ツ)

Before downshifting, the indicator is "D". It then goes to "Dx" showing the gear. I note the RPM before and after the downshift but before the vehicle slows appreciably. I have noticed that the RPM will jump after the pull, but if I upshift right after (while still in manual mode), the RPM goes down an intermediate amount. It takes two "+" pulls to bring it back to the original RPM. I therefore concluded that it's dropping two gears with one pull.

I could be completely wrong. I'm now doubting what I've observed and I'm going to have to play around with it some more.

·
Administrator
20,050 Posts
It seems we're both right. Pulling the "-" paddle while in D does indeed downshift two gears initially, then one gear with each pull after that. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can confirm that it skips two gears in my truck. It actually surprised me when I was engine braking down a hill at about 60 mph. It raised the rpms significantly higher than I wanted and caused an abrupt deceleration due to this. This is one of the things I dislike with the 9 speed. Especially if it downshifts in to fourth with the dog clutch transition. The rpms seem to spike for the dog clutch transition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I actually find using the paddles in "D" mode useful when in traffic and anticipating merging or passing. Left to it's own, the transmission can take a moment to kick down when you want to accelerate. Instead, I'll pre-select the gear I want when I know I'm about to pass or merge with traffic. Much like I would downshift if I had a manual in preparation for acceleration. I have noticed that when manually downshifting, the transmission will skip two gears with one pull. For example, if it's in D and seventh gear, a pull of the "-" paddle will drop it to fifth.
Are you in “S” mode when it skips two gears?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
166 Posts
I just utilized the paddle shifters on a trip that took me down steep grades on the auto road of Mt Washington, Cadillac Mountain in Bar Harbor, and the Green Mountain National Forest. Loved them and the nine-speed transmission. I was able to pick a gear that matched the grade and barely had to use my brakes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts