Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@advguy ..... noticed that you joined 19 months ago but part of your first post (made today) really caught my attention:

Hi,
I traded in my 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport for a 2020 Ridgeline today. .....
Please tell us about your trade decision, 2020 Taco to 2020 Ridgeline .... that's bound to be of interest to some here beyond just me

:unsure: :)

·
Registered
RTL-E Lunar Silver
7 Posts
Please tell us about your trade decision, 2020 Taco to 2020 Ridgeline .... that's bound to be of interest to some here beyond just me
Sure!
2020 Taco is a great truck but there were a few things I didn't love about it. (1) the engine was weak. There's just not much power in the lower RPM's and it becomes very noticeable driving down the highway. (2) the hood scoop looks great but impedes your view. You just can't see what's right in front of the truck. (3) i'm only 5'9" and I bang my head getting in/out several times a week. (4) seats are low to the floor so your legs are sort of straight out instead of the chair-like seating in the Ridgeline. (5) barely telescoping steering wheel makes you find a compromise in driving position. Alone, none of these issues was a deal breaker but it just wasn't the right truck for me.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, welcome to ROC and hope you love your new RL!

Now how 'bout info on it (trim, color, etc)?

Got any mods in mind other than the bed rails?

BTW, there's a thread here where someone installed the rail system from a Toyota (don't recall if Taco or Tundra). Sorry I don't have the link handy but search would reveal if interested. Several have posted about the Unistrut rail mod, there's also this option just FYI.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
RTL-E Lunar Silver
7 Posts
Had to lookup the trim 😳
Got an RTL-E in Lunar Silver with black interior. No mods planned other than the Yakima rack. Thanks to the forum I now have 2 great installation options. Only concern is whether the Yakima mod would impede the trunk from opening fully... I don't see how it won't. I may need to go the Vantech route (although I hate to put a channel along the top of the bedrail). I already have a tailgate cover for carrying bikes.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
@advguy, thank you for pointing out some things about the Tacoma that are not so obvious at first glance; low driving position, entry/exit difficulty, and lack of engine power. Those are the kinds of things that you might not notice in a ten minute test drive, but have to live with after you purchase the truck.

Reactions: advguy

·
Administrator
14,929 Posts
Sure!
2020 Taco is a great truck but there were a few things I didn't love about it. (1) the engine was weak. There's just not much power in the lower RPM's and it becomes very noticeable driving down the highway. (2) the hood scoop looks great but impedes your view. You just can't see what's right in front of the truck. (3) i'm only 5'9" and I bang my head getting in/out several times a week. (4) seats are low to the floor so your legs are sort of straight out instead of the chair-like seating in the Ridgeline. (5) barely telescoping steering wheel makes you find a compromise in driving position. Alone, none of these issues was a deal breaker but it just wasn't the right truck for me.
Those are exactly the things I noticed about my brother's new 2017(?) Tacoma he purchased. It rode reasonably well and the JBL audio system sounded great. The transmission was a bit indecisive and the transmission and rear differential leaked. It also had an annoying exhaust resonance that he actually liked, but that I found annoying and embarrassing - sort of like a "fart can". :)

He's had a few Frontiers, a Tacoma, and now a Colorado that has A/C and transmission problems. He gushes over the Ridgeline's tailgate, trunk, and folding rear seats, but he doesn't like the exterior appearance.

·
Registered
964 Posts
2020 Taco is a great truck but there were a few things I didn't love about it...

(3) I bang my head getting in/out several times a week.

(4) seats are low to the floor so your legs are sort of straight out instead of the chair-like seating in the Ridgeline.
Those have been significant shortcomings in the Tacoma for at least 20 years, and significant shortcomings of ‘the Toyota pickup’ for essentially its entire existence. They are things I disliked about the Tacoma I had on the farm, and they’re major reasons I didn’t get a Tacoma when I bought my G1 Ridgeline.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts