Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm affraid of the responses I might get, but here goes: Does anyone have comment on "Paint & Fabric" Warranty offered by dealers? I'm only curious unless someone can point out real value, but this is how it looks. The dealer offers 5 Year paint & fabric warranty for $495. It sounds like a rip-off, but thought I'd ask others. Any clue as to what they do to the car for this Warranty? I'm thinking it might not be more than $50 buck worth of protectant chemicals applied - but . . . . I'm open to be educated. Any body have personal insight?
Thanks in advance,
Sceptical.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've admitted to it before but I was mesmerized by the dealer's claim to not having to wax my car for 5 years so I bought the Paintguard application. They do guarantee against paint fade and lackluster [pun?] :D . I don't know if it works--how do I tell? I'm going to wash this weekend and see if the water beads up and runs off but a good wax job should last several months too so who knows. A bodyshop owner told me that such products generally require them to buff the entire panel if it ever needs to be painted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Find out if your dealer uses "third party companies" to do warranty service work. If so, then i would contact them, and then make your opinion. A warranty is only as good as the contractor doing the repairs. If the company seems legit.......then the warranty is WAY worth it.

chicago

·
Registered
362 Posts
Its a rip off, the dealer will take your truck and spray teflon protector ( same stuff you buy at wal mart ) in the interior and wax the exterior. $600 is a LOT of wax and teflon, my dealer wanted $900 with NO warranty. I asked what the warranty did extra compared to the 3 year 36K and they could not give anything.

This is JMHO, if you feel its worth it then go for it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Would you like to buy some Snake Oil, it cures coughs, colds, sore holes, fits, farts and freckles. No salesmen will knock at your door.

Wash it when its dirty, wax it twice a year. You will not need a warranty that is like pulling teath to get coverage out of.

Steve

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ditto on the last couple of posts.

If you have leather interior, you need to "feed" it twice a year with a good quality leather cleaner and conditioner. There is NO way around that if you want your leather interior to look good in 4-5 years or longer and don't want it to crack. This goes for any leather furniture you have in your home as well.

As far as the exterior paint goes, you can go to a good auto detailing place if you don't want to wax your own vehicle (it gets to be a real pain in the butt the older you get) and for $50-60 get a wax job that will be as good as or better than what a dealer will put on and that will get you 10 years down the road.

For that money I would have someone apply a "clear bra" to the front of my truck and wax it myself twice a year or even once a year as some of the wax/protectants claim (NuFinish claims once a year) buy a decent quality buffer and you're done. :D

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Dealers LOVE it when you buy these type of protection plans. The TRUTH is that most dealers do absolutely NOTHING to the vehicle. Some will spary some ScotchGuard on the interior and put a coat of wax on the outside, but that's the most you will get.

The cost to the dealer is virtually nothing. The "warranty" provided by the "protection plan" is so full of holes that they will never pay off. Usually provided by a third party that changes names ever so slightly every three years or so (National Warranty becomes Nationwide Warranty then Nations Warranty, etc.).

There's a web site of dealer SCAMS and the protection plans are high on the list.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Just say NO. It's all a last minute tactic when they've got you cornered to get more money out of your pocket. They march this series of people in to get you to buy this or add that. They will probably present you with a four rectangle paper showing different levels of "protection." When I saw that, I knew I was being twisted about. They were not comparing apples to apples. One was figured at a 60 month loan, another at a 72. I did not feel any remorse for spurning their sales tactics.

We did get scammed on one. It happened quickly while I was distracted by a phone call. They had already etched our window glass and their "theft protection" that we did not ask for or want was a $230 mistake, if I remember correctly. I would have protested had I not been on the phone. DH just signed everything put in front of him without asking questions. By the next day when I complained, the F&I guy gave me inflated reasons about why it would be hard or costly to change the contract. Lesson learned too late.

Also, watch for Doc Fees. This is another way dealers line their pockets. It's an add on for something they should provide for free (filing your paperwork). Try to negotiate out of them or have them reduce the price of the vehicle to compensate for their robbery tactics.

There are some informative posts about negotiation tactics that gave me the backbone to ward off all the arm twisting. You should have seen the F&I guy's face when I said no to the extended Honda warranty because I can get it on the internet at $25 over cost. . . That was great.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
You have to understand how car dealers are set up. Every department is designed to be a profit center.

The car salesman and manager tag team try and get you pinned down to a specific price. Just when you think you've got that worked out they'll hit you with DOC fees and accessories like mug guards, pinstripes, etc.

It is to your benefit to say NO to everything offered above and beyond the negotiated price. You can buy the accessories cheaper elsewhere. Pinstripes don't cost $200. Mud guards cost $50 not $200. When they throw the DOC fee at you turn around and walk out. Do not play their game!

Once you're thru round one then it's off to see the "finance manager". Do not let your guard down... this is a profit center too! The dealership does not have a "finance manager" on the payroll to make it easy for you to get a great loan and have him/her do the paperwork for you. The finance manager will try and sell you an extended warranty at an inflated price, worthless paint and fabric protection, and a variety of other goodies not mentioned earlier. They will even tell you that it's so important for you to have these that you have to sign a disclaimer saying you refused the protection. As for the loan... yes the dealer is most likely getting a kickback on your loan. Unless there's a factory sponsored interest rate, you can probably do just as good or better at your local bank, credit union, or online at places like eloan.com. The dealer will try and bluff you by saying they don't accept checks from such sources, or other BS. They'll take it if it comes to selling you the vehicle or watch you leave. The finance manager has sales quotas just like the person selling you the car.

The service department is probably the most honest of the dealership profit centers. They usually don't try and sell you anything unless you get hooked into letting them do the scheduled maintenance. This usually starts when you buy the car and they want to introduce you to the service manager. There you'll find $400 30K checkups, and other unnecessary charges. The dealers $45 oil change is no better than the $19.95 Wal-Mart oil change. At many dealers the service department is more profitable than the sales side of the dealership. The best policy is that if it's not warranty work go elsewhere.

Some will disagree, but that's their right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts