Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
That came out great but damn Vertrkr you beat me to it. I had the same idea, of course you were a few steps ahead of me. Mine's still sitting in the box awaiting install, hopefully this weekend depending on the amount of 'honeydo' projects. I was going to paint it, figured white was pretty easy to match but didn't even think of asking the dealer.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tux said:
That came out great but damn Vertrkr you beat me to it. I had the same idea, of course you were a few steps ahead of me. Mine's still sitting in the box awaiting install, hopefully this weekend depending on the amount of 'honeydo' projects. I was going to paint it, figured white was pretty easy to match but didn't even think of asking the dealer.

Hehe, best of luck on the install. As for the dealer painting it, might ask for them to call you if they get a white honda in the body shop. That way they'd have the paint already mixed up and would take them 30 seconds to spray the cover and hopefully do it for free too.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Nice idea vertrkr. I may have to ask my dealer if they could do the same thing.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Think I'll do that when the repaint my bumper.

Pics to come. I don't know how paint will cure a maufactured-in dent, but I'll let them try it. It will just be a matter of time until I get a new bumper.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Looks great, vertrkr. I was going to have my foglight shells painted when I had my bumper painted, but I talked myself out of it, because of the potential for debris chipping the paint. You won't have this problem.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The paint is a great Idea! Looks good.
I had a question on your location of the camera.. I had asked my dealer if they could install it where yours is and they said no, due to liability of the field of vision.
Mine is offset like shown in the manual. Are you able to see your right & left bumper ends in the camera?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TheRidgester said:
The paint is a great Idea! Looks good.
I had a question on your location of the camera.. I had asked my dealer if they could install it where yours is and they said no, due to liability of the field of vision.
Mine is offset like shown in the manual. Are you able to see your right & left bumper ends in the camera?
I don't recall if I can see the very left/right edges of the bumper but if not it's darn close.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DoctorJ said:
Without clear coat the metallic will flake off with wash/waxing, however I think they would clear coat it. It would be dumb not to.
Must be clear coated. I ran it thru an auto car wash and waxed it afterwards, still looks nice a shiny with the metallic still there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
wow the camera looks much better painted the color of the ridge. nice touch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i am sure that if a body shop painted it then the painters would have clearcoarted it after the base went on. I work in a body shop and none of our painters would ever paint something without clear after the base. freebe or not they would still do it the correct way.

·
Registered
130 Posts
vertrkr said:
At my last visit to my dealer I asked if their body shop could paint my camera cover. They did it and no charge. That was really cool of them, I really like Walnut Creek Honda.
Hi Vertrkr,

I've got a question about an alternate mounting location for the camera. I'm looking for a wider view of the rear bumper. I was wondering if I installed the camera on top of the tailgate handle, would it give me the wider view I'm looking for? I want come close to seeing most of my bumper for parking purposes. I notice you mentioned, mounting the camera on top of the handle would hit with the tailgate down. Hit what exactly?
I thank you for your info & pics.
P.S. Excellent job on the install.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You'd hit the camera with your forearm when you opened the tailgate if it was mounted above the handle.

I had my camera mounted in this same location just bellow the handle and (with a slight bend of the mouthing bracket) I see just the edge of my bumper in the shot. I can back up to something within an inch and not sweat it.

My wife has a camera in her SUV with no bumper in the shot and it is very hard to guage how close you actually are to something ...there's no reference.

I'm a big fan of the center mounthing under the handle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts