Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I painted the stock grill black until the aftermarket come out with something. Tell me what you all think. :D

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I like the way it makes the logo pop. What did you use and how durable do you think it will be considering the harsh environment endured by the front end of any vehicle?

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, I unbolted the front bumper and unscrewed the grill, then unbolted the Honda "H" sanded and wiped it down with rubbiing alcohol. I used Hi Temp Krylon 500° engine enamel with ceramic. I've ordered the full front mask so I hope it lasts.
:D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I like it a lot! I thought about doing the same thing but chickened out and ordered the optional grille. If I had seen yours first maybe I would have been a little more brave. Nicely done!

L

·
0 Posts
ROC on Dude..it looks great!!
Sorry..had to go there.
All punds intended.:D

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!! There are so many great people here! I run a small CNC machine shop on the side and would love some input as to the kinds of aftermarket items I can whittle for these great trucks. I've currently got door sills in cad but have not cut any yet. Would any one like license plate frames with the ROC's logo on top. And would I need permission to engrave this logo??

I know I'd have to get Honda's permission to engrave the RidgeLine Logo!

Cheers!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing. You did an excellent job. Was it hard to unbolt the front bumper?

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I printed the installation instructions for the $214.80 custom grill from www.collegehillshonda.com and the 500° black engine enamel was $2.39 and took about 15 minutes to unbolt the front bumper and unscrew the grill insert. Another 15-min. to sand, wipe with alcohol and paint. 15-min. to re-attach the grill / bumper and posted the photos all within an hour. Looks kinda racy huh?
Don't get scared!!! and save alot a doe, ray, meeee!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think it looks great!!!

I wonder how it would look with the H painted as well. I really have a thing about chrome - I don't like it.

Also, I wonder what it would look like painted the same color as the truck. My RL is Amazon Green. I think it would look good painted that color as well. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Wow, way too cool......... I'm gonna do it, too.

thanks for the idea. I think I'll get it in the colour of the car - Nighthawk Black.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
5S Dude said:
Thanks!! There are so many great people here! I run a small CNC machine shop on the side and would love some input as to the kinds of aftermarket items I can whittle for these great trucks. I've currently got door sills in cad but have not cut any yet. Would any one like license plate frames with the ROC's logo on top. And would I need permission to engrave this logo??

I know I'd have to get Honda's permission to engrave the RidgeLine Logo!

Cheers!
I believe you need to get permission from T Mac for any use of the logo other than personal use. Also there is a new logo on the way shortly so you would likely want to use this logo rather than the existing one. Although for a single tone thing like an engraving it may be necessary to look to the older logo.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks 5S, now there's one more thing to add to my list of project. Great pics and description of steps taken. Looks like a great money saving idea, it'll get added to my list of things to do. :cool:

·
Registered
218 Posts
5S Dude, your painted grill looks terrific. I was thinking of doing the same thing with my Black Ridgeline. Seeing your pictures makes me want to do it now. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We paint a lot of plastic at my shop, we use the Krylon plastic spray paint and it seems to hold well. I have thought about this and yours turned out well, I believe I will do this also. I have a silver one and I think it would look pretty good.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
TIP: I spray painted all the chrome black on my old expedition. I knew it was going to get alot rock hits over the years so I put on 15 light coats. Took me all weekend but it was worth it as it never chipped in 8 years I drove it.

Also, I'd recommend the Satin gloss as opposed to flat or gloss. My dad did his with flat and gloss and niether looked as good as satin. Gloss was too shiny and flat turned milky after a while.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts