Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to show off my painted wheels on my 2011 RTL. I discovered that the wheels were the same as the Sport wheels that came out a few years later. I painted the wheels using VHT High Gloss Epoxy paint. Used a die grinder with a medium pad on the high areas with a final clear coat to protect the areas not painted and WALA, I now have a set a sport wheels at a fraction of the cost. Maybe 50.00 bucks and some change. Check them out.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Very Nice. Nice Job!

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,433 Posts
I so want to do this on my RTL rims!!! How many coats of black paint did you use?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I followed the directions on the can to a T. I started out with light tack coats every 10 minutes for the first 4 coats. Then laid down a heavy wet coat. Actually totally black, they looked awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Looks good, I've been tempted to do the same thing using dark metallic paint rather than black.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Nicely done

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Wow, that really looks great! Well done

·
Registered
655 Posts
You did a GREAT Job!!! Happy for you. Worth another $2K on trade in :grin:

My 06 of course has a different set of wheel style. Anyone with OEM 06 Ridge type wheels done anything like this or powder coated a different finish?

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,433 Posts
Do you have any masking or other prep. techniques you're willing to share?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, I somehow missed the post about masking. I did not do anything real special. I mask the valve stem and put washers in the the stud holes to prevent painting the rubber. I used index cards between the rim and the tire. The sweetest thing and what I feel made the painting easy was I set the wheel on a cheap lazy susan so I could spin the wheel as I was painting. This made seeing the whole wheel very easy. You can see the lazy susan under the one picture after painting the wheel black. I then used a die grinder with a medium pad to removed the paint on the high surfaces. Final was a clear coat over the whole wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Looks good! Nice job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is awesome! Did you sand the finish before painting? Did you remove the factory clear with an etching primer?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello. Sorry for the delay in the reply. I did sand the wheels down using a steel wool. I did not us any primer. If I recall, the VHT does not call for the use of primer. However I did follow the directions on the paint can to a "T". VERY Light coats with 10 minutes between coat. Over an hour in painting. I did the same with the clear coat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Excuse the dumb question, but what are the reasons why you could not mask off the high parts to avoid using the grinder wheel? I assume it's because the paint would have dried in such way making the tape removal very difficult?

Also, did you paint the inside of the wheel as well? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts