Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased 2007 Ridgeline with about 60K miles. About 2 years ago, we let it sit for a few days and needed to jump it to get it started. It continued to do this and finally drained the battery so dead you couldn't open the doors. I'm now on my third or fourth battery. I already changed the AC relay. I love the truck, but at this point I'm sick of it dying all the time. Looking for some cables I can attach to battery that I can access with hood closed so I can open door. Also have a 2015 TLX and it does same thing, but you can unlock and open doors when it dies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same thing - only on a new RL when I installed an aftermarket horn and the wiring was bad. I'm far from a mechanic but I would start with any aftermarket alterations, like the horn, lights, etc.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
490 Posts
Disconnect the negative battery cable and using a multi-meter, connect one end to the loose cable, the other end to the battery terminal. A constant draw of 0.03-0.075 amps is acceptable. If the constant draw is higher than 0.03-0.075, using a test light, tape one end of the light to the loose battery cable, tape the other end to the battery. If the key is off and the doors are closed (dome lights off) the test light should not be on (or it might be on but very dim due to components that require constant memory power). A bright test light obviously indicates a high draw.

To locate which system is creating the draw, remove one fuse at a time until the test light turns off (or drops to a very dim glow). The 1st fuse you need to remove is the one that controls the dome lights. From there, go one circuit at a time. Better to do this test with a muti-meter, but it's easier to see the light change from a distance as you're removing fuses than it is to read a meter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent. Assume same approach with Acura? You have any hunches on what it is?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,399 Posts
Here's a collection of info I have on parasitic draw:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This should do it for now. I found my multi-meter and was going to ask how to set it. Question answered!
Thanks to everyone for quick feedback.
BR5

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got around to doing the test donuteater306 & speedlever referred to. Test was fairly simple, but takes a while depending on how many fuses you need to pull. The main fuse box under the hood is where I started. the system was pulling .39 amps when I started. When I pulled the 40 amp ACC Backup fuse the amperage dropped to .02. Since that particular fuse runs multiple other things in the truck I needed to keep pulling secondary fuses to find the source fuse. It ended up being from the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side. It was the 7.5 backup fuse. I researched this fuse and can't find anything specifically for the Ridgeline. What do I do next?
Thanks
BR5

1 - 9 of 9 Posts