Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this problem? About every 4th time when I get into the RL with dockers or dress pants on, the left pant leg gets snagged over the EBP. Very irritating issue as the interior dimensions must be just "right (really wrong)" for that to occur.

I know there is no way to fix it but it sure is annoying!!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Are you not setting the parking break when getting in/out? At least when I get in, my foot doesn't go under the parking brake, but in front of it? And it's low enough my pants haven't got caught on it? I can see it getting snagged if I didn't set the parking break maybe.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nope. Hasn't happened to me (going on my 4th week with the RTL-E I bought) and I wear dockers almost daily.
I'm 5'10" and have a 32" inseam, so not short and not overly tall...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not my pants, but my shoe will hit it sometimes when the PB is off

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,130 Posts
I have hit the OBD2 port with my foot a few times since I always have the BlueDriver installed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had this problem a few times over the 2017 catching pants on the break pedal . Also with a sneaker lace. Changed/ shortened the lace, seemed easiest solution. Seems our old cars had these brake systems (60's & 70's or so) but they were closer to the side wall and deeper to the fire wall.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had this problem a few times over the 2017 catching pants on the break pedal . Also with a sneaker lace. Changed/ shortened the lace, seemed easiest solution. Seems our old cars had these brake systems (60's & 70's or so) but they were closer to the side wall and deeper to the fire wall.
I agree. I have been in many vehicles that had it and it was never an issue. Seems like a simple adjustment to get it over further to the left and out of the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The placement of the Emergency Brake Pedal (EBP) is an issue. The potential is there for snagging pant cuffs and boot laces. It is occasionally bumped by many owners it seems (not just me). This is at best irritating. I think it could also be potentially dangerous while driving for some, especially if rapid maneuvering is required. It can impede access to the brake pedal in an emergency. It also provides a place to catch a shoe lace, etc. on entering or leaving the vehicle.

It's a poor design choice for Honda as they are usually top notch in this regard. Even if knocking into the EBP or catching a pant leg on it effects only 3 out of 10 owners or drivers it is an issue that could have easily been avoided.

It was not a deal killer for me, right now simply an irritant, but for others with leg ailments or injuries, or other physical attributes, it could be.

If it does become more of an issue for me I'll chop that thing shorter or off.

Hopefully Honda will correct it in future versions of the Ridegeline.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The placement of the Emergency Brake Pedal (EBP) is an issue. The potential is there for snagging pant cuffs and boot laces. It is occasionally bumped by many owners it seems (not just me). This is at best irritating. I think it could also be potentially dangerous while driving for some, especially if rapid maneuvering is required. It can impede access to the brake pedal in an emergency. It also provides a place to catch a shoe lace, etc. on entering or leaving the vehicle.

It's a poor design choice for Honda as they are usually top notch in this regard. Even if knocking into the EBP or catching a pant leg on it effects only 3 out of 10 owners or drivers it is an issue that could have easily been avoided.

It was not a deal killer for me, right now simply an irritant, but for others with leg ailments or injuries, or other physical attributes, it could be.

If it does become more of an issue for me I'll chop that thing shorter or off.

Hopefully Honda will correct it in future versions of the Ridegeline.
It could impede the brake pedal? What are you driving with both your feet on the dash?

Please elaborate how when moving your right foot from the gas to the brake in an emergency you'd bypass the actual brake pedal, go all the way to the left bulkhead and back? Even if your'e a left foot brake driver how would you tangle up in the parking brake?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Myself, and others, drive using both feet, which is common. So the left foot actuates the brake pedal and the right the gas. If the situation is such that the left foot rests on the left side foot rest, which is to the left of the EBP, and has to move past the EBP to get to the brake in a hurry or crisis, then the placement of the EBP can become an issue.

I didn't think to spell this out earlier as I assumed it was obvious. I hope this answers that question.

The poster asks:
Even if your'e a left foot brake driver how would you tangle up in the parking brake?
Others have spelled it out that they have caught pants legs and shoelaces on the EBP doing routine things. Meaning that the possibility is high.

Let's say that the placement of the EBP only effects 2 of 10 drivers, that's still too many.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Myself, and others, drive using both feet, which is common. So the left foot actuates the brake pedal and the right the gas. If the situation is such that the left foot rests on the left side foot rest, which is to the left of the EBP, and has to move past the EBP to get to the brake in a hurry or crisis, then the placement of the EBP can become an issue.

I didn't think to spell this out earlier as I assumed it was obvious. I hope this answers that question.

The poster asks:

Others have spelled it out that they have caught pants legs and shoelaces on the EBP doing routine things. Meaning that the possibility is high.

Let's say that the placement of the EBP only effects 2 of 10 drivers, that's still too many.
Well that's for sure not how I learned to 2 foot drive an automatic.

What do you do in a standard? Stamp on everything at once and hope for the best?

By the way I had a look at my truck and the only way I could move my left foot across the parking brake pedal is if I was resting on the hood release. Weird huh?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts