Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
zroger73: why not reset the sensors now that you have experienced the abnormal operation and are also complaining that the rear cross traffic alert does not work all of the time? Is it going to take one more failure to convince you that the Honda Sense is not working correctly? You have already stated it is not.

Mine has worked perfectly since doing the reset.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I did the reset successfully and it did not fix my false alarms. Just hasn't rained much here in NC so it hasn't been an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,737 Posts
I did the reset yesterday. I don't know if it helped the parking sensor yet (I doubt it), but it definitely did NOT help the rear cross-traffic alert. In fact, it's now showing the red exclamation mark after starting the truck out in the open with nothing nearby. Before the reset, it usually only did it while I was packed in my garage with a wall and another vehicle to the sides.

·
Registered
287 Posts
well, my back up/parking sensors warning sound was always on when reversing at the rear passenger side. Took it into my dealer and they are replacing the part under warranty.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The usual term for this is "Fail Safe". If the sensor is wet and dirty and it thinks there is something there it alerts and you look. Then you say oh there's nothing there and carry on. Then when it's clean again it doesn't alert.

As opposed to having an issue and not alerting, and there actually being something there you hit.

In bad weather up here when I gas up I clean the glass and then I clean the lights and the big H on the grill and the backup camera and all the sensors on the bumpers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never had this problem on any other car including 3 Acuras

My recent experience with Honda dealers reminds me of dealing with British car dealers in the 80s. That is not a complement. Honda seems to have lost the plot on its dealership network.

And on how to keep customers happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This wet parking sensor issue has become an ordeal for me.

Went to dealership (wasn't raining) -- they couldn't duplicate. They told me to take videos of it happening.
Caught it on video several times.
Took videos to dealership-- they wanted me to somehow send them to them.. which is nearly impossible to do, but I managed to upload them to Google drive and shared them with the guy.
Guy says, "ok, we will look into this and call you".
Never heard back..
Called several times trying to get the guy to give me some kind of answer.
Finally get a call back from him and he says (paraphrasing) "Sorry, we can't help you.. there's nothing in Honda's tech forum about this and the owner's manual says that the sensors may not function properly in bad weather."
ARRRGH. I called American Honda.
American Honda is telling me to go to another dealership (preferably in the rain) to hopefully duplicate the issue in front of them.

I will post updates to this saga.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I once had a Ford Windstar with those backup sensors. It was brand new and they worked for about 5k miles. As soon as it rained they were done and didn't work. I took that thing in at every oil change and complained about them. They kept replacing the sensors and declaring it fixed. It would work a few times and back to zero again. At one point I had it working for a month after repairs but it didn't last either. Anytime it would rain it would get water in the sensors and short them out. They just were junk designs at the time.

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a few months ago I bought a dealer demo 2017 Ridgeline Black Edition with 5000 miles on it. It's been great so far but when I get a car wash or when it rains both left and right front parking sensors give intermittent false alarms for extended periods. I have an appointment at the dealer this Wednesday and I'm hoping they can resolve it. I will update if I get any more info but if anyone has any additional input that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@rgkdr
Yes, the parking sensors Deactivate at higher speeds you are correct. When I drive on the highway in the rain it's not a problem but when I pull onto a stop light on local roads when its raining the front left or right parking sensors false alarm and continue to beep at lower speeds. I actually forgot there was a button to turn them off. Waiting to see if the dealer has a fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 17 RL Touring that had that trouble last week. In the rain while driving on the street the sensor alarmed screamed at us as we drove. Fortunately we only went two blocks. We starting moving again, without rain, it was fine but then the rain started the sensor alarm again screamed for the next 10 minutes until the rain stopped. I was in the dealership for a moving side mirror problem, the service writers first response was that how were they going to duplicate that problem. I just left, I will turn it off next time.

Its odd as I just watched a video that suggested it was not suppose to work under 5 mph.

I might try to put some rainx on it to see if that might help.

Has anyone else figured out how to fix it?

Prairie Dog

·
Registered
404 Posts
Have you tried the Honda Sense Reset posted in post #60? It has solved the issue for several others including myself. I have noticed a repeat of the issue recently and will do the procedure again one of these days.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have you tried the Honda Sense Reset posted in post #60? It has solved the issue for several others including myself. I have noticed a repeat of the issue recently and will do the procedure again one of these days.

The pdf shows as a broken link for me. Anyone got a different copy?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,018 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
That works, thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
I might add that I had difficulty and for step #2, press the parking and back-up sensor switch 10 times within 10 seconds, I had to watch the light on the switch and make certain to see it light 10 times before the procedure worked on my RTL-E. That meant pressing the switch 20 times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've tried this a few times without success. Maybe the wrong switch? I was using the switch is below the dash on the left side of the steering wheel - I use that switch to turn off the parking system.

I will try to watch whether I'm having trouble le nJamesj.

Garth

81 - 100 of 121 Posts