Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else experiencing a rattle coming from the passenger side tweeter location? I thought the rattle was coming from the air bag cover but last night I discovered it was coming from the area around the tweeter to the right of the air bag. Frankly, I was a little shocked at the flimsy construction of the dash board in this area. It appears to be floating where it meets the A-Pillar. I can press down on the tweeter cover and the entire edge of the dash moves. Not very Honda-like. Anyway, I wedged a piece of rubber between the tweeter cover and the A-Pillar and, voila, the noise is gone. I can see a little piece of the rubber peeking above the dash but at least the dash is quiet. Does anybody else have that much free play in the edge of the dash where it meets the window and A-Pillar?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think my rattle is coming from the air conditioning vent on the passenger side...If we put pressure on the vent it stops and let off the rattle continues....sounds like a quick fix for me.

·
Registered
460 Posts
denvrfan said:
Anybody else experiencing a rattle coming from the passenger side tweeter location? I thought the rattle was coming from the air bag cover but last night I discovered it was coming from the area around the tweeter to the right of the air bag. Frankly, I was a little shocked at the flimsy construction of the dash board in this area. It appears to be floating where it meets the A-Pillar. I can press down on the tweeter cover and the entire edge of the dash moves. Not very Honda-like. Anyway, I wedged a piece of rubber between the tweeter cover and the A-Pillar and, voila, the noise is gone. I can see a little piece of the rubber peeking above the dash but at least the dash is quiet. Does anybody else have that much free play in the edge of the dash where it meets the window and A-Pillar?
denvrfan, i have the exact same noise as do a coupe others on this forum.
definately the tweeter cover. i still haven't decided on the fix. if im not mistaken either, 'shingles' or 'swampler' had the same issue and had an idea on how to fix. i know one thing, over rough road surface, its very very annoying in my ridlge.........whistling and rattle, whistling and rattle. good grief!!! :( :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
jeffiam said:
denvrfan, i have the exact same noise as do a coupe others on this forum.
definately the tweeter cover. i still haven't decided on the fix. if im not mistaken either, 'shingles' or 'swampler' had the same issue and had an idea on how to fix. i know one thing, over rough road surface, its very very annoying in my ridlge.........whistling and rattle, whistling and rattle. good grief!!! :( :rolleyes:
Must have been shingles...it wasn't me.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I had the rattling tweeter covers on both sides of the dash -- the dealer fixed it easily with some foam tape and/or pads on the covers -- had it fixed three months ago, and no rattles from the dash since then. BUT I had an a-pillar rattle in our old MDX that sounds like what you're describing, and the dealer was never able to fix it -- we finally wedged thin foam under the back edge of the dash, and corrected it, but also like you, a little piece of the foam always showed....

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think it's the tweeter cover. Right now, I have a piece of towel wedge there, but one day I'll take it off and apply something to it. I can't figure out if it's hitting the windshield or the dash on the underside. Either way, the truck is too quiet for it's own good sometimes. heh.

The funny thing on mine is, it doesn't rattle whent he road is bad... it does it on small expansion joints in my subdivision when I am going 15 mph. if I go 25, it stops! Maybe I should drive faster lol.

·
Registered
268 Posts
~"I have the same noise but haven't been able to locate the source. Thanks for the tip."

Ditto. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Had both driver and passenger side tweeter rattle, fixed both with foam pushed between windshield and cover. My new battle has been with the glove box rattle, the only way I can quite it is wd40 wiped around inside edge surface. O well, I am a noise freak :eek: Gosh I feel better :D

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback, everybody. You can always depend on the ROC! I need to take the Ridge back to the dealer for the steering wheel noise (parts have arrived). I'll add this to my small list for them to take a look at.

Isn't it great that the great majority of us only have a few cosmetic things to whine about with their Ridgelines? How many 1st production year owners can make this claim? :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've got the same tweeter rattle. It bugs me to death. I also have a quieter rattle behind me somewhere on the driver's side. It sounds like it's coming from the door or the door jam or something. Does anyone else have that? If so, what is it?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Had my Ridge in for service on Saturday, 12k miles, no squawks except an occassional rattle on the dash on the passenger side near the speaker grill. The noise is as I have found temprature related, when the dash is at just the right temp. it generates a rattle that sounds like bugs hitting the windshield. I noted on an other post that there is a TSB to be announced. My shop was un aware of any TSB, and of course they could not duplicate the noise.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I found that my passenger side handle that opens the door rattles to the bass.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Embo_9 said:
I've got the same tweeter rattle. It bugs me to death. I also have a quieter rattle behind me somewhere on the driver's side. It sounds like it's coming from the door or the door jam or something. Does anyone else have that? If so, what is it?
Make sure you seat belt buckle isn't hitting anything back there...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I identified where a rattle was coming from on the drivers side of my Ridge. It was coming from the sun visor! If the sun visor is in certain positions, it would rattle. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
578 Posts
fatboy said:
I identified where a rattle was coming from on the drivers side of my Ridge. It was coming from the sun visor! If the sun visor is in certain positions, it would rattle. Anyone else notice this?
Yes, it would rattle when it's actually "clipped in" on mine.
Not all the time, but only on certain roads.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am also getting rattles from what seems to be the passenger side dash board. Thanks everyone for your helpful posts I now have several things to try to resolve my problem. Well, one of my many problems ;).

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Yes, it would rattle when it's actually "clipped in" on mine.
Not all the time, but only on certain roads.

shingles...what year is your RL? I had the same issue in my '06 and it ended up some "bad" visor clips got through quality control. The opening was actually too large to hold the visor tightly and would rattle. My service advisor ordered some new clips, put them in, and end of rattle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my '06 RTS about a week ago, and have noticed a rattling on both sides of the dash when I go over rough pavement. Seems to be coming from the area where the speakers are just under the windshield. I'll try either some foam tape or window insulation and see if it solves the problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts