Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm cruising along in the 45-55 mph range and jam the gas pedal to pass, all I get is a weak, "thready" response. I have to back off the pedal and then gradually add power, letting the RL go through it's normal upshifting routine. This is very annoying and potentially dangerous, as it causes significant hesitation when attemping a passing manuver.

Even my poor old Windstar minivan knew that when you suddenly jam the accelerator that you want max power and you want it right now!

Is this typical of the RL, or is something wrong with mine (and maybe related to my very poor gas milage)? Like maybe a bad spark plug wire, etc.?

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I think you've found the reason for your gas mileage problem. You shouldn't have to mash the gas to pass at 45mph unless you're loaded with cargo or you drive dangerously :)

I did notice your shift rpm's, which are significantly higher than mine. Most of my shifts in normal driving are under 3,000rpm.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prefer to call it "driving assertively" :)

I think it's time to get a dealer to do a dyno test on my RL, and monitor the exhaust for unburnt fuel.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been testing mine lately and it seems to have power on demand. Sometimes it actually feels like it is rearing to go and all I have is the brakes to control it. Today I noticed that it even had oomph going at 70 mph--I let off the gas at 85--sure didn't seem like 85. Just under 1000 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Call it want you want, Londo, but I will pretty much guarantee that you'll never see 20mpg city driving like that.

On a normal, flat start from stop, my truck shifts at 3,000, then 2,700, 2,500, and 2,200. That's how I get 20mpg when I want to.

Maybe there is something wrong with your Ridgeline. Maybe it's a bad tank of gas. Check it out and let us know.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Londo, i would never post a disheartening post but i would suggest that you go test driver another rl and compare its performance to yours. the engine is smaller than a v8 yes, but its not "small". the v6 is wound up pretty tight and ready to go. there is power on demand, even at highway speeds. please check out another rl so that you can compare, then you can get with service. maybe you are on to something about a bad plug or something.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
Londo, if you are having trouble passing, you haven't tried! I found my truck to be more than capable of passing at all speeds, plenty of power up and down hill.

See my answer to your RPM issue also. Something is definitely wrong with yours, and/or your driving habits. Let us know when it's fixed, otherwise, I think we've heard enough.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
In every six cylinder engine I've owned, you'd know it if one cylinder was misfiring. The idle speed would be low, and the engine would visibly shake.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Londo said:
When I'm cruising along in the 45-55 mph range and jam the gas pedal to pass,

There is never any point of slamming on the accelerater in the RL when gently depressing it will deliver the same results. I find passing performance to be quite strong. If gently depressing the accelerator doesn't cause your RL to downshift scooping out that torque you need for excellent passing, get it fixed. There is no need ever to "jam on" the accelerator, and it certainly doesn't make it dangerous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts