Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so happy to say i jsut made my second to last payment on the Ridgeline yesterday, and will pay off the final $1000 on June 29th!

This is the first time I have ever had a paid off vehicle, and this is the final step of becoming debt free in our long 2 1/2 year journey, so we are so excited!

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60122&page=4

Is there anything we need to know/do before/as we pay it off? I know I need to talk to Honda Financing and get a pay off amount, but anything else?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's a great feeling isn't it!? I paid mine off in February and it's been so nice!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not having a vehicle loan is a wonderful feeling.

I saved all of my overtime and vacation time for several years before my retirement. When I retired, they paid me in a lump sum, which allowed me to walk into the dealership (checked several dealerships for the best deal), make the deal and then pay in cash.

Again, congrats on ending the loan.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Congratulations! If your financing is through Honda, they should send you a final statement for your final bill. It will likely be your regular monthly payment, or just a few pennies different. Payoff amounts change during the month because of how interest is calculated, but if you're following your regular payment schedule, just check your final statement.

They should send you the title in the mail automatically after the debt is satisfied. You could call them to be sure of how it works with them. Our CR-V is financed with Honda Financial, and we'll have it paid next June (2016). Looking forward to that. Then we, too, will be free of debt besides our home mortgage.

·
Administrator
17,297 Posts
I was never able (or sometimes willing) to pay off a vehicle sooner than the 5 year loan term until my last two Ridgelines. I paid the 2010 off a year early then ended up paying off what little I financed on the 2014 just months after purchase. Depending on what the 2014 is worth and how much I am able and willing to save towards a vehicle over the next 9 months will determine whether or not I'll finance a portion of the second generation Ridgeline or just pay cash - assuming I will be purchasing one. I need to wipe out my relatively small mortgage so I'll be 100% debt free, but the low interest rate doesn't make it a top priority.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great feeling to get out of debt for sure. Congratulations!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I dunno if your state requires it but when I have paid off vehicles in the past I notified the insurance company there was no longer a lean on the vehicle so they didn't continue sending in proof of coverage to the bank/financier.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I dunno if your state requires it but when I have paid off vehicles in the past I notified the insurance company there was no longer a lean on the vehicle so they didn't continue sending in proof of coverage to the bank/financier.
good point.. AND lower your insurance..do you really need to pay all that money for a vehicle that is depreciated for full coverage they would total anyway if it exceeds??

I usually keep major collision very high deductible..protect your own with umbrella and keep comprehensive..glass and other stuff.. but really need to look if you are over insured

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
..... all good stuff. You might also consider how the title is held, now that it will be getting reissued (w/o lien holder). I'm talking about joint ownership status. If you have two names on the title, consider if you list as "John Smith & Betty Smith", or "John Smith or Betty Smith". The "or" allows flexibility for either of you to transact/sign when you get ready to sell, where the "and" requires both signatories. This varies by state, but you may want to choose a method that best suits your particular case. If you're already set there, then great..... if not, you may have to pay title transfer fee to change this??..... usually on around $15. Not sure if they will charge you if you're processing to remove lien that Honda has already signed off on. Ck with your DMV (or whatever it's called in your parts).
:)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Next to the day you bought your RL, the best feeling in the world!!:act035:
I initiated a wire transfer to buy my RL the day I bought it. Does that make my 1st day with the RL more special than the OP's first day? :act024:

Now go do the American thing & buy a new vehicle...haha.
LOL, please don't!

Actually, now that you are free of real car payments you should continue making the car payment to yourself. Set up a new savings account at your bank and automatically transfer your old car payment to this savings account. You said earlier it was $1000/mo (am I reading this right?) In 4 years when it's time to buy a new car, you'll have $48,000 cash (plus interest) to spend on your new/used car. It would be a big financial mistake to allocate that $1000 to something else and end up with a car payment again with your next car.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I initiated a wire transfer to buy my RL the day I bought it. Does that make my 1st day with the RL more special than the OP's first day? :act024:

LOL, please don't!

Actually, now that you are free of real car payments you should continue making the car payment to yourself. Set up a new savings account at your bank and automatically transfer your old car payment to this savings account. You said earlier it was $1000/mo (am I reading this right?) In 4 years when it's time to buy a new car, you'll have $48,000 cash (plus interest) to spend on your new/used car. It would be a big financial mistake to allocate that $1000 to something else and end up with a car payment again with your next car.
If the OP takes your advice he'll probably never buy new again. I'd say it's hard for an average person to write a 30K plus check for a new truck & see your bank account drop that much instantly.

I know I couldn't.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts