Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the black, plastic engine cover off and think I found the PCV, which I am assuming is the little silver elbow on the front, passenger side of the block, very close to the oil dipstick. There's a black hose that goes from this silver elbow up to the front, passenger side corner of what I think is the intake or valve cover, as it's that big, silver plate at the top of the engine after you remove the black, plastic cover. When I blow into (and suck) the hose when it's connected to the valve cover (or intake?), it flows effortlessly, as expected. However, when I blow into (and suck) the hose when it's connected to what I think is the PCV valve, it also flows pretty effortlessly, BOTH WAYS.

QUESTION #1) Is that okay for a PCV to allow air flow both ways?

This little silver elbow I'm thinking is the PCV valve seems impossible to remove, as it has no visible hex faces, and rotating it to unscrew the whole thing would cause it to turn into the wiring runner for the plugs (which I could remove if necessary). I wonder if this is even the right thing.

QUESTION #2) Is the thing I'm describing really the PCV?

QUESTION #3) So, if I needed to remove (and maybe replace) this PCV valve, how would I do it? Does the thing just thread directly into the top of the head? Does the new valve look like a threaded elbow?

The dealer guys tell me these things never screw up and that I should just leave it alone.

???

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Bert,

The PCV valve is located immediately to the right and below the dipstick. You will not see the valve because it's inserted into the manifold. What you will see is a small bolt next to a round orifice. To remove the valve, unscrew the bolt and carefully pry out the flange. If you'll be re-using the same valve after your test, make sure you use new O-rings on the valve stem.

What are the symptoms you're experiencing that led you to believe that the PCV valve may be inoperative? Are you blowing oil?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to me, it is absolutely NOT blowing oil or doing anything else bad. I'm just super proactive about maintenance. Someone on here told me to take it out and clean it every oil change. Is that excessive? I asked the other person if I should just worry about it only if I see foam on the stick, and he said to clean every change.

Can you send me some pictures of the valve in place or something to clarify?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a hose going to the valve from without? What does the other end of the hose connect to if so? Is this flange you pry out black plastic? By to the right, do you mean to the passenger side of the oil dipstick, or to the right when facing into the engine from leaning into the hood?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
By to the right, do you mean to the passenger side of the oil dipstick, or to the right when facing into the engine from leaning into the hood?
Bert, I'd love to scan the service manual and post the picture showing the exact location but I've been flamed in the past for doing just that; you know, copyright infringement and all the legal stuff that comes with it.

Where the dipstick resides, exactly 90° to your right (facing the engine bay) which would fall in the front of the intake manifold and to the extreme right of the bay (passenger side).

Since you perform most of the maintenance yourself, may I suggest you purchase a Helms service manual? You will not regret the $80 some dollars investment that you make in this book as it will pay itself off after the first DIY procedure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.