Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys at what service interval should the PCV valve be changed?

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
There is no 'scheduled' maintenance for the PCV valve. Maintaining the engine in good running condition should help give the valve long life.
A lot different than older cars that needed periodic cleaning or replacement of the PCV valve.
You should see what maintenance is required in your owner's manual, etc.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The spring inside sometimes rusts and then it doesn't work right.

If you do change it, get the OEM Honda one. Many aftermarket ones are bogus.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For I think 21 bucks from my dealer I think it'll just change it. I love when people say things like "I suggest you follow your owners manual" that would be great if it mentioned things like the PCV valve!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
For I think 21 bucks from my dealer I think it'll just change it. I love when people say things like "I suggest you follow your owners manual" that would be great if it mentioned things like the PCV valve!
I don't recall ever seeing the PCV valve mentioned in any of the owners manuals of my last few cars of the last decade or so.
If you are that concerned, then break down and get a service manual too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
PCV Valve Replacement

In my quest to trouble shoot an oil leak (was told it was rear main seal) I read many forum entries and learned a fouled PCV valve "could" cause the leak. I had no idea the valve is recommended to be changed every 10k. I pulled mine out at work and it was nasty. Dirty, carbon build up, gritty residue on it. I cleaned it best I could, dried it out very well and reinserted it. My new part arrived and 4 days later I went to pull out the old valve. It busted off inside. I'm standing there holding half the valve. Those that know where the valve is knows it's going to be no picnic getting the rest out. It took tweezers, hemostats, misc tools and an inspection camera. I just happen to have bought the camera a couple days prior on a whim for a couple of home projects and to maybe use at work. As I tried to get the rest of the valve out, it just broke off in little pieces. I think I gave accounted for everything but the little ball used for the ball valve. I'm hoping it rolled out when the spring and plastic insert came out. I have put in a new valve and truck seems to be working fine. The whole long point is to make sure you are very careful removing that valve...especially if it's been 237k when you decide to change it. I'm not sure it will stop my oil leak but I wish I knew a long time ago to replace that more frequently. I never read it anywhere and it was never mentioned when in for service. For $15 bucks I would have changed it much more regularly!

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: PCV Valve Replacement

Where is it located and how do you go about changing it. Getting ready to do timing belt, water pump, plugs, oil pump so if it's close maybe I should do it too. Thanks

·
Administrator
19,020 Posts

I don't recalling having to touch a PCV valve on any vehicle I've owned since the 1980s. Oil is better, gasoline is better, engines run cleaner... It's just something you generally don't deal with these days.

Where do you get that it is recommended to be changed every 10K miles?

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts

I thought they used some sort of controlled orifice for PCV not the old replaceable valve.
Surely, the old style would never have made that far.
Please do give us the location, etc. Part number would help too....thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts

Thanks, breye! It seems so obvious I don't know why I missed it. For $15 it is probably a good 100K mile maintenance item, maybe even sooner.

I guess if Honda were to add all the additional things owners have found on their own that should be periodically serviced they would need to add another 20 pages to the owner's manual.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Sorry I've been away from computer today. On my '06 it is right in front of the oil dipstick. It is a 10mm bolt. Be careful working the valve out so it doesn't snap. It doesn't give you much to work with. If you take the plastic cover off the top of the engine there should be a hose going from valve cover to air intake. It should be "inline" with that. I always wondered why there was a bolt in front of my dipstick. It is also tilted a little down. I got my valve from Rock auto. I do not have a part number with me. I read on a few different forum posts about every 10k. That seems excessive but so does 236k. I have no hard info about when to change it. I it gets plugged I heard it can cause pressure build up which can cause seals to leak. For the money, I will change them more often in the future. AS I said, mine was very nasty and it was plugged. You should hear the ball valve rattle when you shake it. It will be very obvious. I have been helped a lot on here and just trying to help someone else. I hope someone benefits from my mishap!
By the way, Breye's location is different from my location. As I said mine is for a 2006.

·
Registered
95 Posts

The note was to make sure O-rings are in place when inserting valve. My valve came with O-rings already on it.
This is the location on my RL. Can barely see it in front of dipstick.

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts

Breye's location is different from my location. As I said mine is for a 2006.
I didn't know the PCV valve changed location in 09.I just pulled that from the fist RL service manual that my mouse come on to thinking it would have been all the same right throw.So I just learned something new from this thread.What a great forum we have here.

Thanks RidgeHawk
The note was to make sure O-rings are in place when inserting valve.

Otp ridgeline: I'll PM you the 06 factory service manual.

·
Registered
170 Posts
install new PCV valve

Got a new PCV valve yesterday. Can someone help me with how to install and where it is located in my 06? Thanks in advance for any help guys.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,238 Posts
Re: install new PCV valve

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Re: install new PCV valve

Thanks! Very helpful. :act030:
I have a new PCV in the mail to be changed this week.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts