Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
People these days (definitely more so than the past) construct their whole personal identity by way of what they buy.

Their phone, their soft drink, their restaurant, their clothing, and their vehicle is them. They're a tough go-getter and rugged individualist who hard charges through. They don't even have to leave the couch to buy a lot of that stuff and they don't have to leave the couch to crow about it.

Since their personality is so weakly constructed they're hyper sensitive to any threat they perceive to it. Someone owning another brand of truck could bring that whole house of cards crashing down.

I'm a weed your own garden kind of guy. I don't care if someone has a huge truck that's 10x what they'd ever need. Where I live during the winter at least 95% of those big trucks are genuine work trucks and because they're work tools the drivers have zero brand hubris. Summertime with the tourists we get the look at me peacock folks but then most of them aren't on youtube rabidly attacking the other brands. They're driving their big truck and boat to the lake and back home.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you think you get hate with the Ridgeline, try owning a Japanese motorcycle.

The Harley owners refer to them as "Jap Crap" and ask "when are you going to trade that in and get a real bike?" I own a Honda Goldwing, 2 Yamahas (a VMax and an FJR1300) and a Suzuki M109R. I'd take any one of them any day over the 50 year-old technology and highly overrated / overpriced "Hardleys" any day.

I just let it roll off my back. I have not gotten any Ridgeline hate (yet!) but I don't frequent forums for other vehicles or go to 4 wheel drive shops. If someone wants to spout garbage, let them! You know the truth. They are just unenlightened!
I hear ya. I have a Victory Kingpin and an '07 Ridge. If I don't have someone telling my truck is not a real truck, I have a Harley guy asking me when I am going to buy a "real" bike. Before my Vic I had a V-Star that was a really reliable bike that I liked. I just wanted something bigger, and my wife said I could get anything but a Harley.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you think you get hate with the Ridgeline, try owning a Japanese motorcycle.

The Harley owners refer to them as "Jap Crap" and ask "when are you going to trade that in and get a real bike?" I own a Honda Goldwing, 2 Yamahas (a VMax and an FJR1300) and a Suzuki M109R. I'd take any one of them any day over the 50 year-old technology and highly overrated / overpriced "Hardleys" any day.

I just let it roll off my back. I have not gotten any Ridgeline hate (yet!) but I don't frequent forums for other vehicles or go to 4 wheel drive shops. If someone wants to spout garbage, let them! You know the truth. They are just unenlightened!
I hear that... I've owned Yami FZ6s, Suzi Stroms, Honda CBs, and right now it's a Kawi Versys (so I've been through all the big 4 Japanese brands at one time or another). I ride w/ other sport/adventure bike riders, so I don't hear the HD talk too often... But, I do enjoy pulling up next to them, and watching them vibrate like over-torqued jumping beans...

I consider a cruiser every now and then, if only because of ergos and seat height (I'm only 5'9", so I typically end up lowering my bikes an inch or so). But, every time I get on one... ughhhhh... The VMax and FJRs are a bit heavy for what I like to do (I will say the FJRs are agile -- I've demo'd them more than once)...

Bottom line, I like what I like... Waste of time to listen to the what the "pack" thinks I should be riding or driving...

Reactions: HyperPete

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Ive gottin railed on all my life for what I drive. But I use to go many places where them other big trucks couldnt. Hell I even get railed on for what I wear at times :grin:. Ive posted some of these before but just so you get the idea. Dont let it get under your skin, there are many fools out their that seem to know it all, nothing but critics.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Meh, everybody is a tough guy in cyberspace. Trollers are desperately trying to compensate for something in their own life that falls a little short.

Recent Chevy commercials bashed the Ford for its aluminum body by dropping a bunch of rocks from 6 feet up into the bed. I've owned a lot of trucks and I've never done that. I probably won't ever do that. And I am sure not judging any truck on whether it can handle that. Everyone has their own criteria for what makes a truck good for them and it's not up to me to judge what's important to them. I do wish the towing capacity for the RL was 6,400 lbs (like the Tacoma) instead of 5, but that wasn't a deal-breaker for me. My F-150 could tow over 8,000 lbs which was useful about 10 times in the 11 years I owned it.

Want a laugh about consumer culture? Check out the Onion article about the new device:
New Device Desirable, Old Device Undesirable - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
It started in 2005 with the 1st RL and never stopped, I am into the 12th year with RLs and never looked back.

·
Registered
970 Posts
As for me, I am too old and to damn close to the grave to give a flying crap what anyone else thinks about what I drive (or wear, or live, etc.). I bought the G1 because it fit my needs and the G2 for the same reason. I can afford pretty much anything within reason (Bugatti Veyron may be a bit out of range) and still chose the RL because it fits my needs. Period.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well hopefully they don't do more damage than good there. We had a RL Truck of the Year thread over on another forum that I visit and it's gone 56 pages of mostly useful posting discussing the truck. It's actually the reason I'm currently in the process of purchasing one. I would have never even considered the RL as a replacement for my TDI through the buyback. One of the nice things about that thread though is that it did not get sealioned by a group of truck fans from any brand. It's mostly just the guys on there talking about trucks over all. There were some extremely aggressively negative people but overall there's good info in there and a lot of discussion. One thing that is common accross all forums/YouTube comment sections/article comment sections is that no one can nail the definition of what a "truck" is, and why that is seemingly the most important thing in the universe.
I used my VW TDI buyback money on my RL. I absolutely have no regrets. I have never driven a truck that handles so well. Good luck with your purchase.

Paul.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As for me, I am too old and to damn close to the grave to give a flying crap what anyone else thinks about what I drive (or wear, or live, etc.). I bought the G1 because it fit my needs and the G2 for the same reason. I can afford pretty much anything within reason (Bugatti Veyron may be a bit out of range) and still chose the RL because it fits my needs. Period.
I could have written this same post, except that I traded in a 2000 Dodge Dakota for a G1 '13 RTL. Better ride and handling, more room front and back. More capable than the Dodge 4WD system. Passed on buying a '17 as it is a new year model and was not impressed with the new cab. Plus I paid $12M+ less than a new Ridge. We'll see what the next couple of years bring to the market.

·
Registered
77 Posts
These posts are ironic. Everyone is always going to have differing opinions on vehicles, but if someone bashes your choice, who cares? If people want to be jerks they can be and it shouldn't bother you as long as you're happy with the vehicle you own. What is always funny to me is that a lot of RL owners immediately start calling other "real" truck owners ignorant, stupid, etc. because they like big, lifted rigs with big tires. Pot calling the kettle black, guys... they'll hate on RL owners for driving an "SUV with a pickup bed" and then RL owners hate right back for the opposite reasons.

Just ignore hateful comments from jerks and do your thing. It is pretty simple. And for what its worth, I own and drive a Ram 1500 (not lifted, 100% stock) but I love the RL. It was my second choice when I bought my truck last summer and only lost out because in the end I decided I wanted something bigger and beefier. Not because I need bigger and beefier, I just want it, and that is all the reason I need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, I love my RL. However I get flack from people all the time about it. Even my friends pick fun and ask how the " Car " is doing. I was helping a girl put a DropBracket lift on her Tacoma and she started getting really defensive about her Taco, and claimed I'm driving a F'd up mini van/SUV. I mean, I was cutting this chicks frame on her truck and re-doing her entire suspension and she was still blabbing. It's what ever though. I like it. Its VERY comfortable to drive and gas isn't terrible. I'm happy that's all I care about.

ON a side note, I wanted to say thanks for posting these videos about its performance in the snow. I have had only a pathetic dusting since I purchased mine and was unable to really see that capability in harsher conditions. I've watched these videos on youtube several times taking notes and listening to your reviews as you moved forwards. SO THANK YOU fro finally getting a SNOW review online lol, I've been dying to see one. I have aftermarket tires on ( KO2's ) and I was lucky enough to one weekend have a low parking lot that normally floods out become frozen and I can say with these tires and snow mode on ice driving is marginally a concern. Even in SAND mode and playing around the truck was firm and new what it was doing. THANKS AGAIN though! Hope to see more.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have had my 2006 RTL/SR since April 2005. I have almost 112,000 miles on it. I had my fan motor for air condition replace in the 3rd year and two recalls on the air bags both sides. Other then that I have kept up the proper maintenance. Except for a few little bings and minor scratchs, the truck is very sound and tight as the day I purchased it. There are many Ridgelines in my area of 210,000 people
in SW La. I see several every day that I am out. What impresses me the most is the fact that every owner I have ever talked to, had nothing but praise for their vehicle. It does not matter that the "Truck world" does not consider this to be a truck. What matters is the fact the owners bought them and are very happy with their purchase. There are many 2006's in my area. Any time you see one for sale
they do not last long on the selling block. I am not crazy about the new look outside for 2017, but I am very impressed with the inside and all the safety features. Who cares what others think about the 2017 Honda Ridgeline, if it meets your family's needs, go for it. You will not be sorry.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I bought a Ridgeline because its the only one that had a center console big enough to hold my purse. :x
At first I put my purse in back and then I realized, hey, it fits right here.

I got the Ridgeline because my husband wanted a truck and I wanted another car. I said babe, I think I have an answer. My husband came from a big truck family. He let me have the Ridgeline to make the wife happy. He insisted on driving it home from the dealer, wouldn't let me have it back and after two hours said if any man drives this it will ruin them for all other trucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't sweat it dude...I'm the only ridgeline at work... I'm a lineman... and everyone has fords chevys and dodge so you can imagine what I go through... and I'll tell you that not even half of them use their truck for a truck...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't care what anybody says.....the Ridgeline's ground clearance is less than my Camry. They need to work on that if they want to be a truck for us 90 percenters

·
Registered
926 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't care what anybody says.....the Ridgeline's ground clearance is less than my Camry. They need to work on that if they want to be a truck for us 90 percenters
Troll thread just got Trolled!

Jesus christ people, they're YouTube comments for ****s sake. Grow a spine.

Reactions: JoWoodburn and baba
41 - 60 of 81 Posts