Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove an RTL and found it to be a bit doggie even tho the salesperson kept telling me it was 255 hp. It is slower than a Tacoma and much, much slower than my New Beetle Turbo S.

Are there options out there to boost the power (chips, turbos, etc) that might make up a little difference in the performance area either for the Ridgeline or the same engine in a different model Honda?

Also, is there any suggestions as to any kind of weight reduction - wheels, tires, etc that might help on the performance and/or mileage?

I love the truck (certainly not the claimed mileage) but would like it a little quicker.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
You are comparing an apple to an orange and a pear. Tacoma curb weight 4100 lbs. Ridgeline curb weight 4498 lbs. The Beetle comparison is ridiculous. How many sheets of 4x8 ply can you fit in your Beetle?

·
Registered
774 Posts
As a proud new owner of a Ridgeline RTL, I can attest that there is plenty of power available from this V6. Also, read up on demonstrations that Honda staged for the press prior to introduction. It's engine kept it close with a 5.4 liter V8 Ford F150 during a hauling demo. This is not a sports car. It's a light duty truck that is gutsy and refined at the same time.

I haven't tried yet but I'll bet I could squeeze a New Beetle into the trunk-in-the-bed!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Hey Ridgeman...have you driven the Ridgeline for an extended period? Well, if you have the chance, you will notice that there is plenty of power in the truck. I drove 4 adult passengers for 200 miles and it did not feel like it was lacking any power. What surprises me the most about this truck is it is soooo quiet. You're cruising on the highway and the next thing you know you're driving 80+ mph!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Duh about the apples and oranges and pears. Do I want a Tacoma - no. Do I want a Ridgeline with a little more poop, damned right!

You all dissed me but none of you answered my question. Obviously you haven't had your ride long enough to get over the "thrill" of your new acquistion which I might add is VERY, VERY understandable.

However, there is a thread about someone wanting a V8 for a little more power. Perhaps coming from another dog to this ride makes everyone happy and fuzzy warm but I am still wondering if there is a way to chip this engine, delete a little weight, etc., to not only up the "thrill" factor but also increase the gas mileage. I have read a lot of complaints (the Ody gets better mileage and is only 200 pounds lighter) about the gas mileage as well.

Look, I'm looking at getting one of these but it is NOT the perfect ride so if someone has any knowledge about making it better for ME then I would be interested in hearing about it. The VW Audi engine in my bug can be chipped for $600 - ups the hp by 29, torgue by about 50 and the gas mileage increases 2-3 mpg. This does not include headers, different exhaust, different air intake, etc, etc, etc, just a chip.

I do a LOT of driving, the Bug is GREAT but I need more room and love the looks of the Ridgeline. And as all of you know the interior is absolutely great. So, anyone have answers to my questions or do you just want to bring up how many sheets of plywood my beetle can or can't haul.

Oh, and did you read the part that said, yes, I have driven the Ridgeline? My feelings are still there about the power. Try automobilemag.com and they say it doesn't "charge onto the freeway" either.

Is it great? I think so, just want my questions answered if any of you have answers. Do any of you think it would be SUPER if it were a couple of seconds faster and got the same mileage or perhaps a little better. C'mon guys, you know you would.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just returned from a 1,000 + mile trip from Kansas City, Kansas, to Jonesboro, Arkansas and found no lack of acceleration in my RTL - actually it was surprisingly 'rapid' (and embarassingly so in some situations).

Caravaning with a hot-shoe Miata was no problem. At one point we departed from 'traditional routing' and took to the back roads - twistys with sudden elevation changes (check map for 14 going east to 63 out of Ozark, MO).

At no time did the RTL 'require' slowing to the yellow 'suggested' speed limits through the curves: my daily drive is a Road Racing prepared Miata so my driving style is a 'bit' agressive (for a 'truck').

The RTL handled everything so well I actually had to slow down at times as the lead Miata was driven with 'less road racing' experience. The only 'issue' I'd comment (to Honda about) is the need sometimes to double-punch the accelerator to downshift while the RTL wanted to upshift due to momentum: needs front sensors to 'see' the next upgrade.

Result is like 'ridgeman' - I'll be looking into additional 'tuning' adjustments PLUS a 'lowering kit' - not much disconcerting swaying on the twistys (guess I was too wrapped up in the adrenaline rush of high speed off camber curves to worry about the sway factor) - but (even for everyday driving) sure would like a stiffer suspension and a slightly lower center of gravity.

I guess overall after 8 hours down (yea, fun 2 hours doing the 'Road Racing Test' going down) and 6 hours back (2 stops - the Miata holds 1/2 the fuel) I've gotton past the 'new' excitement and now into 'preference modifications'.

OH - will reveal - if you do drive a Ridgeline like a two-seater sports car - MPG Stinks - but that was a drive for fun not economy.

AND - am looking for steel braided brake lines - the large looping rubber ones sure look like anything other than soft grass when off-roading might not be a comfort providor. Plus with age, driven like a sports car, with lots of 'pre-lock' braking not sure if the 'standard usage' brake lines will last me too long.

Would love to get this thing on a true road course (avoid the worry of on coming traffic), to really put the RTL through its paces! They would not let me Autocross it at the Solo II National Tour event :(. Now THAT would have been a 'sway' test.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I think that the truck is too new for anyone to have developed performance enhancing products like computer chips, headers, etc.

Maybe in time some companies will step up to the plate and we will see some of these products become available.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Two choices when buying a car, if you buy an older model it may not have all the latest features or handle as well as a new model, but there will be tons of aftermarket parts. Or you go with a new model and are forced to weight for the aftermarket to catch up.

I think the big question wille be how many RL are made? (how large a customer base for aftermarket parts)

With a stock RL I am a bit surprised that it has as much low end torque as it does, sure it's not a big block V8 but I find it powerful. Of course I drive it like a truck.....I keep my sport driving to my sports car.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Hey Ridgeman - I wasn't dissing you in any way, just challenging your argument.

Based on my experience with a first-year Pilot, I believe that the Ridgeline will follow the same kind of incremental development path. There were several changes in the second-year Pilot that appear to be based on owner feedback:

Adjustable rear seat
Squeaky driver's seat track
Sagging leather seat cover
Heated seats
More horsepower

I would expect that the current crop of Ridgeline complaints will be addressed in the 2007 Ridgeline, although I would expect the wind noise issue to be solved at the dealer. I'm referring to more HP and the trip odometer, for example.

·
Registered
5 Posts
denvrfan said:
As a proud new owner of a Ridgeline RTL, I can attest that there is plenty of power available from this V6. Also, read up on demonstrations that Honda staged for the press prior to introduction. It's engine kept it close with a 5.4 liter V8 Ford F150 during a hauling demo. This is not a sports car. It's a light duty truck that is gutsy and refined at the same time.

I haven't tried yet but I'll bet I could squeeze a New Beetle into the trunk-in-the-bed!
The 5.4L Ford is not a strong powertrain. The numbers seem good on paper for the Ford but they just don't put it to the pavement. Even the reviews on the Ford state that with the 5.4L the truck still feels anemic.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would not look for any performance enhancing ECUs in the near future. The Acura TSX has been manufactured for two years now and Hondata has just this month come out with a re-programmed ECU. The TSX community has been asking for this since the car was introduced.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really appreciate the comments by gallopingbassets. Unfortunately I can only afford one ride so try to get double duty out of it. I had a 94 Toyota 4x4 pickup and found that I really could throw it into corners (within reason) and it was fun to drive, just a bit small for my frame.

Also, had a 96 T100 for 6 years and could do the same thing but like you were saying, the gas mileage sucked (but then I generally always drive 10 - 15 over on the road and generally do have a heavy foot).

I do realize this is a brand new vehicle but thought maybe because the engine is not new there might be a "relatively" inexpensive way of upping the horse power and maybe eeking out a few extra miles per gallon - I think we're going to find 16-19 is what we're going to get even driving like reasonable? people. I too think some suspension modifications might be in order (if you want to drive it like its not suppose to be driven ((S2000)).

I only drove the RTL about 10 miles on and off the freeway in Albuquerque and maybe the performance was a little deceiving (better than I thought) because several of you guys seem to think it is pretty good. I generally keep a vehicle 5-8 years and just want to be as sure as I can be before buying the Ridgeline. I am forced to get rid of the bug because of an adopted 1 year old baby girl which was NOT planned (try to get that little tyke in and out of a car seat in the back of a bug not to mention pac n play, toys, diaper bag and all her clothes for a week).

Appreciate also the comments made about how quiet it is and how easy it gets to 80 +. Could be that I am just so used to my small bug and the kick of the turbo (when it kicks in) that I just didn't "feel" the kick of the Ridgeline and it was deceiving.

Agree also that it is so new and different not too many companies are stepping up to engineer performance/suspension goodies until they see how it will sell. Since Honda only plans 50,000 units the first year, it may be a year or two before we see anything unless you want to take it to a custom shop.

Damn! It's just so good looking and I LOVE the spacy interior. I even warmed up to the front door grips by the time we got back to the dealer's lot.

Thanks for all your comments (-:

BTW, I don't recommend Garcia Honda in Albuquerque. They offered me $1,500 less than low book for my Turbo S and wanted MSRP for the Ridgeline. My 03 Turbo S is immaculate - no chips, no dents, no dings, no stains, 17,800 miles, clear bra on front and all windows professionally tinted plus over $100 for VW rubber mats all around. Retail (NADA) was $18,000. They make 3 grand on the Ridgeline and another 3 on mine (selling it even for $16,500) - gee must be good to be a car dealer (-: I'll sell it myself and then go shopping - have bought our last three cars in Denver and have to say they're serious about selling cars up there!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but any modificatons that are non Honda will void warranty ? So risk my Honda Care Coverage for some horse power and MPG s improvments . I would need to weigh the risk .

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do not yet have me Ridge but looking at the engine compartment it seems that there is plenty of room for a roots blower (Anyone know the compression of this engine?)... :) Does anyone know what the engine series is? I know it isn't a K-series because it isn't i-VTEC, just curious what it is because that could give you some insight into what you may be able to tweak right off the bat, until they start making things specifically for the Ridgeline. I am also willing to bet that it won't be long before there is a filter availible from K&N. Depending on how well the exhaust flows a custom exhaust could also be an option. I wonder what the Ridge would sound like with some nice big pipes coming out the back :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
conchflats said:
Correct me if I am wrong but any modificatons that are non Honda will void warranty ? So risk my Honda Care Coverage for some horse power and MPG s improvments . I would need to weigh the risk .
Just read your post and know a non-Honda product does not necessarily void your warranty. However if the product you put on the Ridgeline is in any way connected to an issue down the road you may have issues with the warranty.

I have a short shifter on my RSX and when I took it in for notchiness in the tranny they fixed it under warrenty because it was a known problem with that model year.
They also can't argue that an intake is going to cause your truck to leak oil...
Basically the law requires that they be able to prove that that product caused the malfunction, question is do you want to try and go against their lawyers?

Very Helpful Link About Warranties:
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8124

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
jauten1 said:
I do not yet have me Ridge but looking at the engine compartment it seems that there is plenty of room for a roots blower (Anyone know the compression of this engine?)... :) Does anyone know what the engine series is? I know it isn't a K-series because it isn't i-VTEC, just curious what it is because that could give you some insight into what you may be able to tweak right off the bat, until they start making things specifically for the Ridgeline. I am also willing to bet that it won't be long before there is a filter availible from K&N. Depending on how well the exhaust flows a custom exhaust could also be an option. I wonder what the Ridge would sound like with some nice big pipes coming out the back :D
The engine ID is J35A91. It's 10-1 compression, pretty high, think I might start using mid grade 89 octane just to be sure it's not leaving carbon deposits. I'll probably throw a catback on when one come out from Borla or maybe Gibson as they are pretty inoculous. I'm not the type to monkey around too much from stock so I won't be doing headers or blowers myself.

As for K&N, I've used them for decades without thought, just being a sheep falling for their marketing. Just recently I started to research the hell out of air filters. I've seen every comment, test and opinion about them posted on the net and there's alot, spent several months digging up all the info I could find. My conclusion, I will never use K&N again. It's not that they are so terrible but you get very little gain and at that it's only when you're rpms are quite high, 4000rpm or more the increased air flow they provide make any difference and again it's not much I've found. The downside is they don't filter as good, not by much, but paper media still does a little better job, contrary to what K&N says. They are also quite expensive although they claim they'll last 50,000 miles. With that info I decided to stick with traditional paper media but then I had to research which brand is the best for that, uhg, more researching. In the end I decided Wix will be the one I'll be using. So there you have my 2 cents, food for thought.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now we're talkin' - minor mods to a blower? Wow. I know there are a lot of folks who are just fine with a stock vehicle just as there are those who just cannot help but piddle around until they break something. I guess I fall somewhere in-between. I don't have the funds to put a blower/supercharger, turbo etc but sure would love hearing about someone who had the money and guts to do it. The Honda engine is a great engine and not being an engineer, I'll bet it is being very conservatively tuned.

I know that if I had chipped my bug one dealer flat out told me it would void the warranty while another said no big deal because it wouldn't hurt it. So... don't know about Honda. I would think it would void the warranty if someone put a blower, turbo, etc on their Ridgeline, while a K&N air intake, catback exhaust, etc. surely wouldn't.

I was really hoping there might be a chip out there which would bump the hp 20-30, torque a little and not hurt and maybe even help the gas mileage. The "kids" out there love the older Honda's to trick out, bump up and race. Where there's smoke there must be fire, no? Then again, perhaps it's time I slowed down a little and started driving a pickup? like a pickup. Ah, hell, it's not that time yet. I'd still love to see the Ridgeline with a few more hp and some trick suspension parts. I can't think of anything that would touch it.

I would like to thank this forum and everyone who participates in it. I've learned a lot and you've let me air my opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
I currently own a V6 TRD-Tacoma and am trading it in on a Ridgeline. I have an extended cab and with two kids need a bigger vehicle. I am still waiting for mine to come in but I did not notice any difference in power during my test drive. I test drove another Tacoma quad cab the same day too, and noticed no appreciable difference. I was carefully paying attention to this detail since I previously owned an '02 CRV which was short on power. I was actually quite impressed with the ridgeline power and it is alot quieter and softer ride than my tacoma. I love my tacoma but the Ridgeline is a much better fit for my family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ridgeman I have personally been into hondas for a while now upgrading them quite a while with motor swaps and bolt on parts.....however the parts for this truck are gonna come much later the only suggestions I could say is take it to a performance shop they can certainly make you an intake to suck cold air from somewhere and any exhaust shop can open up the stock exhaust with some bigger pipes its gonna sound better and its get better gas mileage with a small hp increase....as far as for now the only thing i could suggest since it is a VTEC motor for a noticeable hp increase would be to install a Vtec controller but this requires some modifications to the ecu via wiring the controller up. This would allow the VTEC to kick in much earlier and you could see wider power band. I currently don't own a ridgeline I am looking to get on in the near future so thats why i am joining the forums to see what people think about the truck and I am also interested in the performance portion of the forums especially since Comptech has reportedly said they are planning on a supercharger for the hottest truck to come out in a while. Car and Driver and most mags I have seen are saying nothing but good things about the Ridgeline and if its like any of the hondas I have owned it will last you well over 8 years like you are looking for....I currently still own a Honda accord with 220k miles on it with not major mechanical problems at all. And I have seen a few with well over 300k on them just to reassure you a HONDA is bought for life. lol. Anyway theres my 2 cents worth hope that helps a bit.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts