·
Registered
566 Posts
?️‍??

Reactions: NateP

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Someone on this forum says that he bought a performance chip that gave him a 60 HP increase AND improved fuel economy.

PT Barnum was right!!

Reactions: brentjs121

·
Registered
838 Posts
Save your money. This thing is a rip-off. Only using one resistor on a chip-resistor in the box, no active components. Connected with two wires to the air input temperature sensor, so sending false temperature info to the computer to lean out the fuel mixture, not good.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
18 Posts
I live in Lakewood Colorado at 5,500 ft above sea level, and have a place in the mountains at 7,400 ft above sea level. The truck doesn't perform incredibly well in Lakewood, and in the mountains, it's pretty bad. I was thinking about putting a performance chip in the truck. Would this be a good idea? And if so, which one do you recommend?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Don't waste your time and money. The current offerings don't work.
See this thread:

Reactions: HyperPete

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
"Performance chips" are pretty much "snake oil." An ECU flash, if available, might be able to address the situation, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no ECU modification available for our trucks.

I had this done to one of my bikes, and the difference is amazing. It also cost me about $500 and took several hours on a dyno to tweak it properly. ECU flashes also void warranties as a rule, violate EPA regulations, and may be illegal because the ECU programming is considered proprietary property of the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,668 Posts
The G1 has an option for the KTuner software, but nothing is out for the G2. The PCM is built in such a way that any external modifications, do not result in a significant difference. You can try premium fuel, but I highly doubt it will do much for you. The other other route is the most expensive route, which is getting a standalone and using a power adder. At that juncture, you are better off with a different vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts

·
Administrator
20,050 Posts
Save your money. This thing is a rip-off. Only using one resistor on a chip-resistor in the box, no active components. Connected with two wires to the air input temperature sensor, so sending false temperature info to the computer to lean out the fuel mixture, not good.

View attachment 395762
Haha! A resistor network that costs 42¢ from Mouser Electronics on a PCB complete with fake connections designed to look like a "computer chip". They even silkscreened the pin numbers on the board! Hilarious!

That's about as corny as those monitors in the aisles of Home Depot that display prerecorded video clips of an employee pretending to watch you and call the police.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts