Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought or tired one of these out.

This one looks to be the best built:

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699707

The J-pipe on almost all new Honda/Acura v-6 is essentially the same. Different brackets maybe but that minor.

I am more interested in potentially picking up a little MPG and more towing power.

The OEM J-pipe is a pretty bad design.

This paired with a high-flow Cat and exhaust would probably a decent 10-15HP pick up and maybe a mpg or 2.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flange to flange dimensions are the same for the TL-awd and Ridgeline.

Like I said maybe some different brackets but that is it.

I might have to try one of these here soon.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Already talked to Josh at Excellerate... The TL SH-AWD J-pipe is a winner with slight modification (ie bracket mods...)

He wanted a list of 10 owners (serious with deposit money) and he could get it developed.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Didn't someone on this site already produce a number of these specifically for the 06-08 Ridgelines?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Has anyone thought or tired one of these out.

This one looks to be the best built:

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699707

The J-pipe on almost all new Honda/Acura v-6 is essentially the same. Different brackets maybe but that minor.

I am more interested in potentially picking up a little MPG and more towing power.

The OEM J-pipe is a pretty bad design.

This paired with a high-flow Cat and exhaust would probably a decent 10-15HP pick up and maybe a mpg or 2.
Those dyno charts look impressive even if they weren't back to back comparison. The j-pipe chart indicates a whopping 200 ft-lbs at 2000rpm!! vs the previous run indicates 175ft-lb at 3000rpm!

Where do we stand on price? $400?

·
Registered
239 Posts
The pipe will not fit on a J-35 series with a J-35. But Rich at RV6 performance is talking about making one for the 4wd vehicles.
http://www.r-v6p.ecrater.com/

Contact him and like I said I know he is thinking about it already because have talked with him about it.

Rich's stuff is top notch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm...I like it deletes the third cat but the merge of the 2 pipes at the end is so harsh. Either way both are an improvement over stock.

In my quest for some more MPG and power I think first is either figuring out how to make my scan gauge read the factory A/F or installing my Innovate wideband in the truck to see how rich the motor is running.

Then I think using an Apexi SAFC to trim the fuel will yeild the best increase in gas mileage.

If all that goes to plan then 1 of these J-pipes and exhaust may be the next step.

Hondas from the factory run pretty rich....especially in an application like the ridgeline. I mean how much better would this thing be if it got say 23mpg on the highway!

·
Super Moderator
22,671 Posts
snip

Hondas from the factory run pretty rich....especially in an application like the ridgeline. I mean how much better would this thing be if it got say 23mpg on the highway!
Is that a typo? Many have reported 23 or better on the road. However, I have yet to reach that elevated plateau. Then again, I rarely drive the RL on a highway trip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that a typo? Many have reported 23 or better on the road. However, I have yet to reach that elevated plateau. Then again, I rarely drive the RL on a highway trip.

I have almost 14,000 miles on mine and can not touch anything over 21 on a tank. my avg per tank is around 19.5-20

Maybe it gets 23 driving 60 and never hitting a stop sign/light.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
I've reached 23, but only over relatively short stretches. 21 is more typical. So a bump of 2mpg is not insignificant IMO.

·
Super Moderator
22,671 Posts
Here's a good site for some RL fuel mileage info.

I just didn't think that 23mpg (much as I'd like to see it) was that much of a bump over the mid-21s that I've seen. There have been a number of reports here of RLs getting 24+ mpg on road trips. I'm assuming that's not just looking at the trip computer but is a pencil/paper calculation over a tank of gas and not just a short trip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a good site for some RL fuel mileage info.

I just didn't think that 23mpg (much as I'd like to see it) was that much of a bump over the mid-21s that I've seen. There have been a number of reports here of RLs getting 24+ mpg on road trips. I'm assuming that's not just looking at the trip computer but is a pencil/paper calculation over a tank of gas and not just a short trip.
Good info....but look there is only 2 people over 22. Majority at 18-19. If that could be brought up to 21-22 or higher thats huge.

20,000 miles @ 18mpg @ $3 per gallon = $3,333

20,000 miles @ 22mpg @ $3 per gallon = $2727.

I drive more then that per year plus tow about 6-8K miles a year. Plan on keeping the truck for say 5 years... thats a good bit of savings if its possible.

Now I could be incredibly wrong and spend $1000 dollars on this stuff and gain nothing.

I'll will keep the forum updated on the progress. Currently debating on weather to remove my innovate from my civic and install on the RL. To for sure determine how rich/lean it is running.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
Does not matter if they are averaging 15 all the time..if they can get +1.5-2mpg I think the mod is worth it over the long haul.
And considering you may get some more low end torque in the mix also.

·
Super Moderator
22,671 Posts
There was a performance thread a while back by NJRidge or NJRTL or something like that. He was desperately seeking increased power for towing and tried many things from CAI to different exhaust systems. In the end, I believe he reverted everything back to stock.

I don't know if he evaluated the changes in his fuel mileage or not. Anyone remember?

·
Registered
589 Posts
If the price isn't to awful bad, I would be interested in purchasing and installing one. I already have a CAI and have gained about 1mpg.....on highway...city-nothing....I am on the gas to hard. Any idea where these can be purchased?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if anyone has done this before but heck figured I better chime in. I have an 06 ridgeline, recently we had a 2010 odessy come in, it had been totaled so we were just waiting on the customers insurance co to come pick it up. (I work at a honda dealership btw) when we pulled the eng out of it I noticed the j pipe on it was far better than the crappy one I had on my ridgeline. So out of curiousity I pulled my ridgeline in and yanked my j pipe off. Crazy thing is the odessy j pipe fit, with out any mods (with the exception that the exaust had to be turned slightly I later had to cut the flange where the exhaust pipe and j pipe meet and then re-weld it to center it back up, btw I don't have a 3rd cat for those of you that were wondering why I said exhaust pipe and not cat). But god news is, for anyone with a 06-08 ridgeline, you can use the same j pipe and it will fit, also 08+ pilot j pipes are identical and will fit the ridgeline as well. So there you have it, cheap, easy, bolts right up with little modification.

So as my ridgelines exhaust sits, I have stock pre-cats, to a 2010 odessy j pipe, to a home made 3rd cat delete, to my stock resinator and then a turn down tip that dumps the exhaust in front of the axel (at low rpm it sounds ALMOST like a v-8). About 3500 rpm is where it really gets loud, before the res starts quiteing it down. I have about $50 in my exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
22,671 Posts
Post up some pics of that mod please. Sounds interesting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts